PDA

View Full Version : G0690 vs G0691 (short vs long rail TS)

scott vroom
10-05-2009, 2:20 PM
OK, I know there are several recent threads on the tradeoffs of short vs long rails on a TS but I still have questions. I'm setting up a shop in a 16'x17' area so right off the bat space is limited. At some point I plan to move into a much larger shop but that may be 1-2 years away. Everything I've read says the TS is the most important tool so I want to get this right. If I choose to go with the shorter rail G0690, what specific situations will I encounter where the longer rails would be required (and where I'll regret not having them)? If I invest in a good track saw system, do I really need the long TS rails? I'm building kitchen cabinets and other household furniture.

Bob Genovesi
10-05-2009, 2:31 PM
Scott,

I'm in the same dilemma but I'm bitting the bullet and going for the G0691.

Dan Friedrichs
10-05-2009, 2:44 PM
Not being a smart*** here, but the situation where you will regret not having them is when trying to rip something wider than 32". If you're building cabinets, I imagine that will happen frequently.

Can you replace long rails with a track system? Sure, if that works for you and your track saw cuts an edge that's acceptable to you. Personally, I hate having to lay down a sheet of styrofoam, put the ply down on the floor, measure and mark both ends, lay the guide down, clamp the guide down, get the saw off the shelf, plug the saw in, and sweep up all the mess when I'm done. But that's just me - you might not mind that at all.

This isn't really a question that anyone other than you can answer. Many people don't have table saws at all and are quite happy. Some people have enormous sliding table saws and love those, too. MOST hobby woodworkers have a table saw, and would have 99% of their needs met with 52" rails. Some (like you) have smaller shops, and might find that the room afforded by shorter rails is worth not having that extra width when they need it. Unfortunately, no one other than you can decide if that trade-off is worth it.

scott vroom
10-05-2009, 2:50 PM
Bob, thanks. If I go with the 0691 I'll have to remove some storage shelving in my garage. Even then it would be tight.

Cary Falk
10-05-2009, 2:59 PM
Bob, thanks. If I go with the 0691 I'll have to remove some storage shelving in my garage. Even then it would be tight.
Put the storage shelving under the extended fence.

scott vroom
10-05-2009, 3:11 PM
Is it possible to retrofit the extended 0691 table with a router? If so, any suggestions on motor/fence system/etc?

Jason White
10-05-2009, 4:35 PM
If you get the longer rails and you're having to dance around them every time you want to get to the other side of your shop, you'll regret it!

Jason

OK, I know there are several recent threads on the tradeoffs of short vs long rails on a TS but I still have questions. I'm setting up a shop in a 16'x17' area so right off the bat space is limited. At some point I plan to move into a much larger shop but that may be 1-2 years away. Everything I've read says the TS is the most important tool so I want to get this right. If I choose to go with the shorter rail G0690, what specific situations will I encounter where the longer rails would be required (and where I'll regret not having them)? If I invest in a good track saw system, do I really need the long TS rails? I'm building kitchen cabinets and other household furniture.

Jerome Hanby
10-05-2009, 4:43 PM
You could go shorter and plan to upgrade to a full blown Incra TS-III joinery system with the long rails when you move into the larger shop.:D

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-05-2009, 4:48 PM
Scott - I have a shop about the same size as yours, and I have 52" rails on my saw (and older Delta). I don't think I would go to shorter rails unless I had to - and so far, I am OK "dancing" around the end. I might cut a few inches off, since I really don't need the full 52". I enjoy having the longer rails to make larger cuts (cutting down a full sheet); the longer extension table is a nice generic purpose table; and the storage space underneath is handy.

Just my $.02

scott vroom
10-05-2009, 6:20 PM
If you get the longer rails and you're having to dance around them every time you want to get to the other side of your shop, you'll regret it!

Jason

Good point, Jason. Due to the configuration of my shop floor, I'm forced to butt the far right edge of the TS against a wall whether I go with short or long rails. In the end, the only difference is how much space I'll end up with LEFT of the TS. Either way, I'm still going to be "dancing around to the left" to get to the other side. And as someone pointed out, I can use the space under the extension table for storage. Besides, if I go with longer rails and hate it I always have the option to cut them back.....the 0691 is only $100 more than the 0690.

Jim O'Dell
10-05-2009, 6:40 PM
And if you go to the 52" rails, and find you just can't handle the dancing at some point, you might be able to trade with someone that has the 30", or worse come to worse, cut off some.
You say your shop is 16 X 17? If you butt the right side against the wall, the long rails are about 82". That should leave you with a minimum of 8' to the left wall, unless this space is filled with something else. I have about 2' on the left side of my saw to a bank of cabinets, and about that much to the right before I hit the band saw. When I'm able to get me a 691, the BS will get moved closer to the wall, and the DP against the wall will move next to the cyclone on the outfeed side of the saw. It will be tight around that section, but that is something I have decided I'm willing to put up with. Just don't tell my Pastor that I'm dancing in the shop. Baptists don't dance. :rolleyes: Jim.

Bob Mircetic
10-06-2009, 9:19 PM
My shop space is similar, about 20' x 18', and right now tight working spaces are my biggest frustration. I got a tablesaw with 52" capacity a few years ago. Loved it at first. Then I realized what a royal pain it is to try to manhandle a full size 3/4" sheet of ply by myself (and I'm not a small guy by any means). So, I broke down and paid the big bucks for the Festool saw, guide rails, and vac. Expensive, but works beautifully. Now the Festool is my go-to method for breaking down sheet goods, and I've come full circle and now wish I got the shorter rails on my saw and had a little more floor space.

scott spencer
10-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Somewhere in between....

You could always start with the shorter rails and slide them right ~ 10" for 40" rip. Or get the long ones and cut them down if necessary.

Chad Harrison
10-06-2009, 11:55 PM
I work out of one bay of a 3 car garage - 23 x 13 at best. I chose the Incra TS-LS system and built 2 router tables into my tablesaw - one for use with the Incra joinery system (left) and one for freehand routing (right). I offset the rails even more to the right than typical, so I have over 60" of rip capacity (of course, never to be used, but nice to have).

Even though the table saw top is now over 8 feet wide (!) and takes up most of the 13' width of the garage, I wouldn't go any other way. I love the repeatability of the Incra system on the router table and the table saw, I didn't have to buy 2 Incra fences, and it really doesn't take up any "extra" space in the shop, as it's essentially borrowing part of my rip capacity.

If I were you, I'd get the shorter rails from Grizzly (or special order without rails/fence), and go with the Incra + built-in router table. I think it's the best space saver I could imagine in my cramped shop.

Good luck!

Larry Rasmussen
10-07-2009, 12:29 AM
My saw before the little one I have now had the longer rails. I am in half of our two car garage and actually found it useful to have the longer rails to hang on to when I moved it. That said I hated the long rails, ran in to them all the time and eventually moved the saw along down the road partly due to them.

How often are you going to cut > 32"? Do you want to push full size pieces throught the saw? I used a Porter Cable 6 1/2 circular saw and wooden guide before I got the Festool saw and guides. I'd rather bring the car right up, slide the ply from the roof rack onto sawhorses and cut there rather than manhandle it. Next guy to post will want to do it just the other way.

All this talk about the Incra, I may have to take a brouse break. I didn't know that you could order many brands sans rails and fence and it never occurred to me to ask any of the companies. Anyone done this or know specifics on any companies that do this?

Regards,
Larry R.
Seattle

scott vroom
10-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks to all for your comments. I placed an order today for the G0690. I spoke with Grizzly Tech Support and they told me that is was a simple job to shift the rails 8" right (I'll waste a drill bit and about 30 minutes of time). This will give me 38" rip cap right of blade. Anything larger will be cut first with a skill saw then finished on the TS. I have a very small shop and space is a premium.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-07-2009, 6:19 AM
I've had a 52" rip unisaw for about 2 years now and I don't ever recall needing more than 32" on the fence. I am not about to cut mine down because that end of the saw fits into dead space, but if I wanted to use the full rip capacity I would have to move the saw to do it. (It is on a semi mobile base).

If I were you I would call up grizzly and see if you can switch out the 32" rails for the longer ones in the future and what it would cost.

Jason White
10-07-2009, 6:36 AM
Before you go drilling a bunch of holes in your brand new saw, try living with the 30" rails for awhile and see if you really do in fact need the 40". I'll bet you don't as much as you think you do.

Jason

Thanks to all for your comments. I placed an order today for the G0690. I spoke with Grizzly Tech Support and they told me that is was a simple job to shift the rails 8" right (I'll waste a drill bit and about 30 minutes of time). This will give me 38" rip cap right of blade. Anything larger will be cut first with a skill saw then finished on the TS. I have a very small shop and space is a premium.

Peter Aeschliman
10-07-2009, 2:07 PM
I say it's best to hedge your bets in this situation. If it's only $100 for the long rails, get the long rails.

Otherwise, if you get the short rails and decide you want to trade up, you'll have to spend $275 for the shopfox 7' fence system (vs. the $100 upgrade you could've done from the beginning). Unless you can convince Grizzly to sell you the rails only.

The other thing is that you may get sick of dancing around the long rails, but 1-2 years isn't all that bad if you're pretty sure you'll be moving into a bigger facility. If that doesn't pan out, and you're sick of the long rails being in the way, cut them down. Only a $100 loss.

Rick Moyer
10-07-2009, 2:53 PM
I say it's best to hedge your bets in this situation. If it's only $100 for the long rails, get the long rails.

Otherwise, if you get the short rails and decide you want to trade up, you'll have to spend $275 for the shopfox 7' fence system (vs. the $100 upgrade you could've done from the beginning). Unless you can convince Grizzly to sell you the rails only.

The other thing is that you may get sick of dancing around the long rails, but 1-2 years isn't all that bad if you're pretty sure you'll be moving into a bigger facility. If that doesn't pan out, and you're sick of the long rails being in the way, cut them down. Only a $100 loss.

That was basically my rationale for going with the 0691. Could always cut them down but ya can't stretch 'em. Cheaper to make the mistake of going bigger than the mistake of going smaller if you regret your decision.

Charlie McGuire
10-07-2009, 4:53 PM
I use 1/2 of a 2-car garage. I put storage underneath the the extension table.