PDA

View Full Version : Hand Router Opinions

Darrin Davis
10-05-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm going to buy a Leigh 24" dovetail jig and need a couple of routers (one for the straight bit and one for the dovetail bit). I'm lazy and don't want to change out each time. I want a good router that is easy to adjust the height and holds an accurate setting once locked in place. I've got a couple of Dewalt DW616's but I'm not totally in love with them. Any suggestions?

Jim Tobias
10-05-2009, 12:57 PM
I use a Bosch 1617 EVS with dovetail bit and my Leigh jig for half blinds and really like it. I have a Porter Cable 890 series combo that I keep the straight bit in. If I could have a do over, I would buy another Bosch.

Jim

glenn bradley
10-05-2009, 1:10 PM
I run Milwaukee 5615's for my fixed speed stuff. I love the body grip for use with jigs as it gives a more confident feel for me. YMMV. There was a recent deal at Amazon where you got the fixed base, plunge base, two collets and motor for the price of the plunge base. I see it is up to $139 now but that is still way less than most folks are selling it for. There may be no advantage for you to have all the extra stuff if you don't have other, more powerful Milwaukee routers that can make use of the bases.

Michael Heffernan
10-05-2009, 5:43 PM
I have the Bosch 1617EVSPK (using the fixed base) as well, that I use with my PC Omnijig. It has plenty of power and I like the feel and balance. I like the micro height adjustment and it is easy to lock in place. I haven't noticed any creep when routing dovetails. Once set to the proper depth, my cuts are perfect and the fit is dead on. The only thing I will be changing is the sub-base plate. Pat Warner sells clear plates for many makes and models of routers.
http://www.patwarner.com/round_subbase.html
He also has one specifically meant for dovetail jigs. It is thicker and is machined for accepting bushing guides. He also supplies an insert to perfectly center the bit in the base.
http://www.patwarner.com/precision_subbase_kit.html
I don't like the sub-base plate that comes with the Bosch (and most other routers as well), as you can see a darn thing when routing, especially if you have a guide bushing installed. If you do choose to go with the Bosch 1617EVS for your dovetail jig, and you use the supplied sub-base plate, make sure that you get the guide bushing insert for the PC guide bushing setup. The guide bushings that Bosch sells, IMO, are cheap and not worth it. Better to go with a set of brass PC guide bushings for dovetailing. I will be switching to the Pat Warner precision plate soon.
I'd like to get a second Bosch for the same reason; not having to switch out the dovetail and straight bits all the time.