PDA

View Full Version : Saw Files

Michael Fross
10-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Hello everyone,

Just started to sharpen my own saws on an ancient saw vise I picked up that I think has more welding on it than original metal :)

Anyway, down to my question. I have about a dozen saws and I seem to sharpen them quite a bit as I've come to hate working with an even semi-dull saw. However, I'm going through saw files faster than I would like.

I think it would be useful to buy a box of them as it would be less expensive. Does anyone have a favorite supplier for saw files that can be bought in bulk (not 100's of them, but 10 or 20 would be nice).

Thanks,

Michael

ps. As for my old saw vise, I have a new shiny one shipping over from Joel at Tools for Working Wood. I can't wait to get it.

Dominic Greco
10-05-2009, 1:31 PM
Hello everyone,

Just started to sharpen my own saws on an ancient saw vise I picked up that I think has more welding on it than original metal :)

Anyway, down to my question. I have about a dozen saws and I seem to sharpen them quite a bit as I've come to hate working with an even semi-dull saw. However, I'm going through saw files faster than I would like.

I think it would be useful to buy a box of them as it would be less expensive. Does anyone have a favorite supplier for saw files that can be bought in bulk (not 100's of them, but 10 or 20 would be nice).

Thanks,

Michael

ps. As for my old saw vise, I have a new shiny one shipping over from Joel at Tools for Working Wood. I can't wait to get it.

Scary, I was just looking into this! I mean just last night and this morning!:eek:

Here's what I found; If you use Google to search for the phrase "Files for Saw Sharpening" it will point you to "Vintage Saws" and TFWW.

Vintage Saws (http://www.vintagesaws.com/file/file.html) sells a "starter set" that should contain all of the files you'll need to sharpen a range of saws.

TFWW (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=toolshop&Product_Code=EE-555-SF.XX&Category_Code=TH) also sells saws files and seems to have the same compliment. However, (2) sizes are out of stock and from what I've been told, will be replenished with a couple weeks.

And you got that saw vise? NICE!!!

jim hedgpeth
10-05-2009, 2:29 PM
Grobet files can be had by the dozen on amazon and other places. $51 something shipped, but that comes out to like $4.35 ea, not bad.

Jim

Joel Moskowitz
10-05-2009, 2:42 PM
Grobet files can be had by the dozen on amazon and other places. $51 something shipped, but that comes out to like $4.35 ea, not bad.

Jim

Just make sure that they are the swiss made ones not the made in India versions.