PDA

View Full Version : need help with compass

martin wilt
10-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I just acquired these compasses among a box o stuff at a garage sale and I can't figure out how one of the legs works. It looks like a needle nosed tweezer that you pinch together with a knurled knob. I can't get it to hold a lead so it must be for some other purpose. Anybody know what I'm missing? I'll try to post a picture. The beam compass has one on the right leg, and the other has one on the right leg.

Thanks.

Paul Atkins
10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
That is for ink. It is a ruling pen. Put a drop of ink in the 'tweezer' part and adjust the line width with the knob. You can get the finest line ever.

glenn bradley
10-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Think about how a fountain pen works. Same principle. I'm not sure how much use you will see in your wood shop for it though.

martin wilt
10-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Wow. That was fast. Thanks guys.

Ink. Hmmm. Now I'm not sure what to do with it. At least I know what it is now.

Thanks.

-Martin

Jim Rimmer
10-06-2009, 2:34 PM
That is for ink. It is a ruling pen. Put a drop of ink in the 'tweezer' part and adjust the line width with the knob. You can get the finest line ever.
+1 I still have a bottle of India ink that I used to use in compasses like that.

Lee Schierer
10-06-2009, 3:00 PM
You may be able to find replacement parts for the beam compass that will hold a pencil lead. Do a google search for the brand name or just "drafting tools". Since I no longer need drafting tools at work, I kep my compasses handy in the shop. Drafting triangles also work very well for laying out angles or setting up miter gauges, saw blades etc. since they are highly accurate.