PDA

View Full Version : Is Glen Huey's new book a repackaging of old content?

Tom Hassad
10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
I have been receiving ads from Popular Woodworking about this new book about building 18th century American furniture and I was surprised to see that the exact same photo of the Massachusetts High Chest from "Glen Huey's Guide to Building Period Furniture" is on the cover of this new book. Intrigued, I read the description and I see the book lists the exact same 4 pieces already covered in this earlier book.

Again, just like the earlier post about Fine Woodworking repackaging content into new books and creating new titles, there needs to be a disclaimer provided that half of the content was already published in an earlier book.

I would not have caught this but for the earlier post about Fine Woodworking doing the same thing so each time a new title comes out I look closely to see if this is really new content.

I believe that this new book has 4 different projects but still half of the projects were already covered by his older title. When does repackaging content into a new title arise to the level of consumer fraud?

Megan Fitzpatrick
10-05-2009, 2:54 PM
Tom,
Glen's new book is repackaged from his four older books (three of which are, I believe, out of print now). So if you own those, you won't be interested in the new book. We tried to make that clear in the marketing stuff, and if we didn't, my apologies (and I'll do my best to address that).
Megan
(managing editor, Popular Woodworking & Woodworking Magazine)