PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
10-05-2009, 9:32 AM
5 Oct 2009

Good Morning,
Well, it's rainy and cool here in Conway. Rained all day yesterday and then it's supposed to be kind of wet here all week. I'm ready for the rain to stop and have some nice weather for a change.

I am reading what I can find out chair repair type work so I can better educate myself before I start taking people's chairs apart. So this has been somewhat of a challenge in finding information at the level that I need so I can learn better.

I have 2 "shadow boxes" to make and it seems like I just can't get away from flatwork. My poor lathe hasn't seen me in a bit over a year now but the rest of my tools at least get an occasional rubbing of wood over their surfaces to keep them warm and happy.

Besides being very busy at the day job and just now coming off of "oncall" duty, it appears that after yet another round of layoffs, there will be more coming and now there are rumors of yet another pay cut. I guess we'll see.

The family garden is pretty much done for the year and we didn't fair too well this year because of such a cool and wet summer (highly unusual for Arkansas to be cool and wet during the summer).

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-05-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi Dennis - we also had a poor showing on our vegetable garden this year. Much cooler than normal, and very soggy at times. The kids still enjoyed planting and harvesting though....

I was able to finish up the caps for the deck posts I've been making to replace the current ones (they're actually sleeves to go over the PT posts). I just need to run the wires for the accent lights, and then shim/attach them to the posts. I need to paint the ballusters on the railings before putting them back on.

Matt Meiser
10-05-2009, 11:08 AM
We went camping in northeast Indiana one more time. Stopped on the way home at Best Buy to get me a new phone and spent some time figuring that out and getting it to sync my email, contacts, calendar, etc. Got a few hours in on the kitchen on Sunday night--getting really close.

Don Orr
10-05-2009, 3:02 PM
I had a long weekend-Wed-Sun off. I spent Wed-Fri working on dust collection and it is now complete and functional ! I only have a small collector ( PennState 1hp 2bag) but it works pretty well as I have been reading and studying about this for a while. I have a single straight run with 3 drops-table saw which can also be used for jointer, planer and drum sander, one for the lathe, and one for the bandsaw. No bends more than 45 deg and minimal flex ducting. I even got my remote control hooked back up. What a huge difference from dragging the hose to the various machines, tripping over the hose and moving the machine out of the way.

Saturday I went to a turning demo in the morning and met up with some folks from another forum in the afternoon.

Sunday was spent volunteering at a local Empty Bowls benefit.

Have a great week !

Fred Voorhees
10-05-2009, 7:20 PM
Spent about six or seven hours in the shop Saturday afternoon and a few Friday night beginning the milling of lots of walnut. I have orders for around a dozen tissue box covers from people on an internet forum that saw a picture of one of fourteen that I had already done up for Christmas gifts and asked if I could make a few for them. Alberta, Canada, Vermont, Tennesee, Washington state and Texas are a few of the destinations once they are done. I enjoyed having a co-worker in the shop with me Saturday. He is just beginning to get into the woodworking and asked if he could come up to the shop and help/observe/learn sometime. Of course, I said yes and Saturday he spent a good amount of time absorbing all he could. In talking with him, it turns out that he found SMC before coming up Saturday, so he is aware of this forum and has been looking in and learning. I told him that is how I have learned lots of tricks and how to's - just by tuning into this forum and simply reading all that I could.

Jim Becker
10-05-2009, 9:29 PM
Horsie time and I also installed a new light fixture in the kitchen to replace some failing recessed halogens over the island as well as got the lawn mowed. We have a 'difficult child' situation right now, so getting time in the shop has been problematic. Even house cleaning has taken a back seat...LOL

Dale Osowski
10-05-2009, 10:04 PM
I exhibited at the Fine Furnishings Show. Here are some photos, http://timberwerksstudio.blogspot.com/

Steve Clardy
10-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Cut firewood. Winter will be here soon.

Derek Gilmer
10-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Conway's rainy weekend was definitely a bummer. My major accomplishment was getting my router table setup. Zahid generously sold me a work bench and router table he had built but I had to find a router to go in it. For now I'm going with the Ridgid set from HD. It has good table adjustability, good price and is compatible with the PC router base templates.

Not quite in the weekend but I did manage to get a dewalt 735 for $134 last night from Home Depot so it has been a good weekend/monday for me :)

Dan Gill
10-06-2009, 3:50 PM
We picked up our first foster child Saturday afternoon! He's two years old, and is a very happy, healthy little boy. We'll have him for a minimum of 3 - 4 weeks, and perhaps longer while they search for an adoptive family. His mom is mentally ill and unable to care for him, and his father is on a long deployment overseas. He made the tough decision to give his son up for adoption.

Here's a picture. He has a great smile, but he hides it when the camera comes out.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/ThumperDan/Rsmilesm.jpg