PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for first wooden plane build

Matt Benton
10-05-2009, 9:19 AM
I'm just finishing my first project, a blanket chest that has taken months, and discovered that I now look for any excuse I can find to use my only plane (LN LA Jack), or my chisels. Yes, I'm going down head-first.

I've decided that I need to add a jointer, as well as a smaller plane, like a smoother, and would like to make one.

Can anyone suggest which plane I should build? I'm thinking the smaller would be better, as the jack I have seems to do a reasonable job of jointing. I would like to use something more expensive, like rosewood or ebony, so the smaller plane would be easier on the wallet, as well...

Thanks in advance!

Terry Beadle
10-05-2009, 10:14 AM
You should take a look on Steve Knights website at the smoother kits he has. Very reasonably priced and good quality.

I have a Steve Knight smoother that has the adjustable mouth and is made from cocobolo with the ipe sole. The iron is by Galloots ( $80 middle rage one ) and works great. Steve stands behind his planes too.

Ron Petley
10-05-2009, 11:01 AM
Make a Krenov style, easy to make, their is abook out on how to make that style, very detailed, you cab go from their on up in complexity.
Not all that hard really and I think you will have fun doing it.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120253&highlight=krenov+plane
Cheers Ron.

Matt Benton
10-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Definitely looking to build from scratch. In doing some more research, the Krenov design is just about right.

Now to determine size/function. If you could only have one bench plane smaller than a jack, which would it be?

Brian Kent
10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
David Finck's book called "Making and Mastering Wood Planes" has just been re-published. That has all of the detailed instructions. $25.

If I could only have one other plane, I would stretch and make it two:D.

For a first made from scratch plane - a smoother. David's book gives recommended dimensions, blade, and blade angle.

Then I would get or make a block plane.

Brian

Tristan Williams
10-05-2009, 2:57 PM
Get David's book - its brilliant! It teaches way more than just plane building, it covers a huge range of related topics. I'm currently attempting a quick and dirty, simple as possible, few tools as possible block plane build just for a laugh, and its really easy. Mine is laminated out of 15mm thick beech from the local hardware store, so far its probably taken a total of 3 or 4 hours and doesn't need much longer to be usable.