PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman 13 drill press pulley problem

Stephen Massman
10-05-2009, 9:15 AM
I have an older 13" drill press model number 113213842. I have trouble getting any torque on the unit. I need a new belt and will probably go with a link belt.

The main problem I have is the spindle pulley keeps coming off. The nut ring #46 in manual keeps coming loose. I tighten it as best I can but it comes off eventually. Any recommendations on how to keep this ring in place. I looked for a replacement nut ring but Sears online parts has the item as discontinued.

Also how much grease should be present on where the pulley meets the insert #44.

http://www.managemyhome.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0805251.pdf

thanks for the help.

Lee Schierer
10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
The link does not appear to work.

You could try some locktite 242 or 243 (blue color) on the ring nut. It is a low strength loctite and can normally stop vibration loosening, but the parts can still be easily removed with tools.

Stephen Massman
10-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I will try some loctite.

Not sure why the manual wont work. I grabbed an inset of the part diagram.

glenn bradley
10-05-2009, 12:30 PM
+1 on loc-tite. Scrub the mating surfaces clean with some mineral spirits and follow up with some alcohol so they are really clean and dry before assembly.

Jerry Bruette
10-05-2009, 4:59 PM
Should the pulley be keyed to the shaft, or is the shaft splined? You may be missing the key. I would guess there shouldn't be alot of grease under the pulley.

If the key is installed properly and the belt is still slipping then it might just need to be tightened up some.

Good Luck
Jerry

Stephen Massman
10-05-2009, 9:13 PM
I dont think it has a key on shaft for the pulley but I will look.

Thanks for all the help.