PDA

View Full Version : New to this

Kenneth Whiting
10-04-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm new to turning, actually I've never put a single piece of wood on my lathe. I'm also new to this site so I'm sure I'm asking questions that have been answered before. To anyone thats tired of answering them, I'm sorry.

This is a picture of my lathe that I copied off the site it was bought from.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/gifs/clear.gif
It was bought for me about a year and a half ago. It is 33 inches long. I think it has a 12 inch swing (?)

I have read about different attachements and accesories, but cannot intelligently talk about them. I am wondering where I should start. Who makes a good starter set of tools and how much should I expect to spend? What type of chuck should I start with or be looking to get. What are some good starter projects to get my feet wet? Thanx for any help.

Jim Sebring
10-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Welcome to the vortex!

You will need different tools depending on what kind of turnings you plan to make. Spindle turnings, where the wood grain is aligned with the length of the lathe, usually require the use of spindle gouges, parting tools, and skews. Bowls, where the wood grain is aligned across the width of the lathe, usually calls for bowl gouges, scrapers, etc.

Penn State Industries (psi.com) sells an inexpensive family of tools branded as 'Benjamin's Best' that might be a good first choice for you. In addition to turning tools, you will need a good sharpening system. Turning tools dull at a much faster rate than chisels and plane irons used for so-called 'flatwork' woodworking - much more wood gets cut at a much faster rate.

You should probably spend some time in self education. Books and DVDs abound, as does good information on this and other turning sites.

If you know of a local turning club, join up. The folks there will welcome you with open arms. Experienced turners are more than willing to help you get it all figured out.

Richard Madison
10-05-2009, 12:24 AM
Kenneth,
Welcome to the SMC forum. We love to answer questions, so ask away. Lots of advice will follow. Some will advise the best (and usually most expensive) tools and accessories, and others will suggest the economy versions of same. Suggest you weigh all the advice and adjust to your individual needs and resources.

alex carey
10-05-2009, 2:58 AM
Welcome, tons of advice here as your already been told. Definitely join a club, it'll get you access to tons of information/wood. Just go to the AAW and that will direct you to a local club. Although I have none I here quite often that harbor freight tools aren't bad, especially if you are new. Learning to sharpen tools is something you'll need to learn and mine as well do it on cheap tools.

Jeff Rich
10-05-2009, 5:56 AM
Welcome to the Creek.
If I had it all to do over....
I would learn how to sharpen my tools and learn the basics of how they cut.
Sharp tools make your life easier.
I would try to find a turner with experience local and learn from them, not just one but several.
I have learned there are many ways of doing certain tasks and arriving at the same result and different turners doing it as many ways as there are turners.
Dont be afraid of the skew or the scraper.
Make your own judgements, try different techniques.
Most of all....have fun.

John Keeton
10-05-2009, 7:29 AM
Hey Kenneth, I am about one month ahead of you in this vortex. I do flat work, but wanted to learn to turn so that I could make legs and spindles for furniture projects.

I bought the same lathe from HF. Also bought the set of Windsor lathe tools from HF, and have been very happy with that purchase. I bought the Woodcraft slow speed grinder, the Wolverine sharpening jig setup, and a diamond wheel dresser. Also, from HF, a face shield. Just ordered a couple of Benjamin Best spindle gouges on recommendation from other creekers.

So far, this has been fun. My time for practice has been limited, but as the summer chores fade, I hope to be able to do more.

Welcome to the creek, and there are some fantastic turners in this forum. Not only can they give you superb advice, but they love to help others spend their money. Kind of a non-government stimulus plan:D

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2009, 9:37 AM
Welcome to SMC Kenneth. Lots of good people and lot of good advice here. The lathe as you will soon find out is the cheap part. HF has a good set of tools as John said. Also Penn State Industries has a $69 set that I bought as my first set 4 yrs ago and still use most of them. John also gave you pretty much what you need to start with a woodcraft slow speed grinder, wolverine sharpening jig (need sharp tools) and safety equipment with a face shield. Have fun and ask away.

Steve Schlumpf
10-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Kenneth - Welcome to the Creek!

There are turners of all skill levels here but the one thing we all have in common is that we are all still learning! Whenever you have questions - ask! Not only will you benefit but there is always someone else with the same question as you and you help them out as well!

Tools/ equipment really depend on what it is you would like to turn. Without knowing more - I have to second what John said about all the equipment he picked up.

Also have to agree with finding a club/turners in your local area. Having someone show you how things work saves lots of time and frustration!

Barry Elder
10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
This may be the Harbor Freight equivalent of the Jet 1236. If you don't have the Manual for it, you should download it off the internet and familiarize yourself with the lathe operations. Then go to the AAW site and locate the nearest club as the members will help shorten the learning curve for you. With the wealth of information available, please be careful and practice safety first, and by then you will be deep in the vortex!!! Enjoy!!!

David E Keller
10-05-2009, 1:52 PM
Welcome... Agree with the previos posts. Not too far ahead of you in regards to turning experience. If there is a woodcraft nearby, they often have classes for beginners. DVDs can be fantastic learning resources... Much better than books IMHO. eBay is another source for tools and materials... I've ordered some unhandled tools recently and the handle turning is a good project. Find some free wood, sharpen your tools, and have some fun.

Rick Hutcheson
10-05-2009, 2:07 PM
Kenneth - Welcome to the Creek!

There are turners of all skill levels here but the one thing we all have in common is that we are all still learning!

We are like Doctors, except we practice woodturning not doctoring.