PDA

View Full Version : Performax 22-44 Plus Drum sander 649004K

Jerry Bittner
09-20-2004, 6:03 PM
Ordered the Performax 22-44 Plus from Amazon but they don't expect to be able to ship until early October.

Dows anyone know of a site that has these available at a comparable price to Amazon's ($1,074)?

I've searched quite a few but when I click to buy, they switch the buy assignment to Amazon. Amazing how manyu so called tool outlets are nothing more than feeders to Amazon.

Jim Becker
09-20-2004, 6:24 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Jerry! In most cases, the price will be the same no matter where you buy the tool other than any applicable shipping/tax. But even my local dealer had to order mine and it took two and a half weeks to come in. It was worth the wait, IMHO.

Brian Hale
09-20-2004, 6:26 PM
Is this the same one or are there more goodies that bump the price up....

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3176

Brian

Jim Becker
09-20-2004, 6:28 PM
Different tool Brian. That's the "Pro". The Plus sells for a grand plus the stand choice.

Joe Meazle
09-20-2004, 7:30 PM
You can try southern tool they are usually pretty good on prices. In the tool crib catalog the 649005k is 1124.99 it ia not on the amazon website at that price. I called the phone # and you can still use the $25 off cupon which makes it 1099.99 they didnot know how to fix the price diffrence online. So for $25 you get the same sander and a closed stand which already has a mobile base built in. A set of casters for the open base is $95 so youare coming out ahead and don't have to put the stand together. Due to limited space I cant use the stand but was thinking of getting it any way and stowing it until I have more room. Seems like a good deal to me.

Joe

Jim Becker
09-20-2004, 9:59 PM
Due to limited space I cant use the stand but was thinking of getting it any way and stowing it until I have more room. Seems like a good deal to me.
So...where ya gonna put it, Joe? Serously, it's not something you can lift unless you're an Olympic weight jockey! It either has to be on a stationary bench somewhere taking up space or on a movable stand. Buy or build...you need a stand/bench.

Joe Meazle
09-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Jim,

Being here in Conway I thought I would have Peacock stop by to lift it for me.:D Truthfully, I am working on my shop/garage currently. I was thinking about putting in a cantilevered miter bench. You don't know any one that has done that, do ya? I thought I might store the sander underneath that. As for lifting/storing it check out Keith O's thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11823 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=11823)

I think I know where I can put the sander I am just sure where I am going to put myself.;) I may not be ready to pull the trigger just yet but I just got a job for some library shelves and have a little tool money and have wanted one for a while. If you have any ideas to share please let me know.
Joe

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 8:48 AM
AH....yes, that hydro table would be a great solution. 'Cause you aren't going to be wanting to lift a 22-44 Plus without help from at least one additional strong person! Big, heavy and awkward due to the weight being skewed towards the motor end.

Joe Meazle
09-21-2004, 9:08 AM
Jim,

A few months back I emailed Jet about the the demensions of the 22-44plus no stand. they said 44"x24"x24". I was wondering if you could veriy that. Also keep us posted as to well it works for you.
Thanks,
Joe

Jerry,
I hope I haven't steped on you toes and hyjacked your thread. Good luck with your sander.
Joe

Jim Becker
09-21-2004, 9:10 AM
The base dimensions are correct...I'll have to measure the height after I'm off my morning conference calls, but it sounds about right.

Charles McKinley
09-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Hi Joe,

Call the local tool stores. Here in Western PA I know Woodwood Crafter's Supply has one sitting on the floor. Happy hunting buying local has some advantages. Here in PA if you are in business you have to pay sales tax (use tax) even on mail order stuff.

Joe Meazle
09-22-2004, 3:14 AM
Charles,

The nearest dealer to me is in Memphis:( , with even higher sales tax and 2.5 hours away. If we had a local WW suply store I would gladly give them some buisness. I was telling Greg H. all about that at the CSBBQ. The manages the Tulsa Woodcraft (over 4 hours away and the nearest Woodcraft). A woodcraft in Little Rock would be great and have the local market to itself.

Jerry,
I forgot to mention General Industrial Supply in Nashville. They had it on there website the last time I checked. Shipping might not be too bad to NC
Joe

Charles McKinley
09-22-2004, 3:04 PM
Bummer,

I know I really felt the hit when WW Warehouse closed in Butler. Now its a drive to Pittsburgh to drool on tools. What about Redmond Machinery? I think they are in Atlanta, GA. I would have to check I bought my Bies. overarm gaurd from them when they had a bunch of blems. If you want I can find thier contact info.