PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Dakota planes

Auguste Gusteau
10-04-2009, 4:39 PM
Do you know something more about these planes?

Sam Takeuchi
10-04-2009, 4:55 PM
No but they look kind of cheap. Never heard of them. I kind of have a feeling they come from Asia though. Probably the same factory that makes...you know what.

Joel Goodman
10-04-2009, 5:04 PM
Looks like Wood River rebadged to me.

george wilson
10-04-2009, 5:35 PM
Did it occur to you guys that the Wood River might run through Dakota? Huh?:)

Jim Koepke
10-04-2009, 5:43 PM
For the price, one could acquire a Stanley Bedrock.

Trying to save money on quality is often an imprudent ambition at best.

Often, the "bargain" becomes a burden. The reviews of the Clifton planes indicated that they did ship some good planes, but quality was somewhat of a moving target.

With any one of my Stanley planes, there is an ample supply of spare parts. If something needs replacement, it is not difficult to get back to a working plane.

For what was once the benchmark of a quality user tool, the Bedrocks are hard to beat. If one wants to save a little more, then the Stanley/Bailey planes do a fine job. There are better planes if one wants to spend the money. My money would not be risked betting that these planes are the better plane or the better deal.

jim

Jim Koepke
10-04-2009, 5:45 PM
Did it occur to you guys that the Wood River might run through Dakota? Huh?:)

Isn't on the boarder of the North and South Plane?:rolleyes:

jim

george wilson
10-04-2009, 5:51 PM
Yes,right where the Wood River has worn the river bed down to the Bedrock!!! It was discovered by Stanley,before he went to Africa IIRC.

John Powers
10-04-2009, 5:58 PM
Great plane the Dakota. Isn't that what the Brits called our Douglas C-47?

george wilson
10-04-2009, 6:02 PM
John,now you are pulling them out of thin air!:)

Phillip Pattee
10-04-2009, 6:09 PM
Never heard of them. The name looks like it's trying to portray them as made in the USA but then one would think they were available in the USA. They are available in the UK, so I'm going to infer from that that they are like wood river and borg planes, just aimed at a European market.

george wilson
10-04-2009, 6:40 PM
You know,the Lakota were the French branch of the Dakota. The Dakota were Italian.

David Keller NC
10-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Interesting. Looks like the Chinese factory cranking out Woodriver Lie-Nielsen copies had a few variations for other customers.

Of course, Lie-Nielsen tools are inexpensive anyway, so squeezing the penny until it screams seems pretty pointless.