PDA

View Full Version : wood putty

brian rohland
10-04-2009, 4:31 PM
i know its taboo but i am curious if any one has a suggestion on a good wood putty or epoxy that i can tint.i am tinting it to the color of wenge i am not staining the wenge.i know it is somewhat of a stupid question or a miner problem but i do not have any experience with tinting wood putty or epoxy i figure it cant hurt to ask before i order something.i am looking at tintsall from woodworking supp;y catalog but if someone has a bettre suggestion i am all ears thanks guys

Gary Breckenridge
10-05-2009, 12:13 AM
First mix a bit of wenge sawdust with the epoxy and see what it looks like when you sand it and put a bit of your favorite finish on it.;)

Lee Schierer
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
I've mixed oil based wood stains with wood putty and made near perfect color matches.

Bill Bixby
11-04-2009, 11:35 PM
I just filled a few wide joins in my wenge project by using off the shelf Loctite epoxy and mixing it with sanding dust. Be sure to get the kind that sets in 5 minutes, not one minute. It looks great.

You can also stick a splinter to two in there before it dries. Any excess epoxy that is not sanded away may make a shiny spot on the wood.