PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with this Nexstar GPS?

Louis Brandt
10-04-2009, 3:16 PM
Hello,

The latest BestBuy circular shows a Nexstar GPS with a full-size 4.3 inch screen for $79, and it includes the "speaks street names" feature. My wife and I do almost no traveling, so we're not looking for leading-edge technology, but at that price, it looks like a good buy.

Does anyone know anything about the Nexstar GPS?

Thanks,
Louis

Dennis McGarry
10-04-2009, 4:36 PM
if its the 43LT GPS , I can tell you it is a great little gps, it updates a tad slow at times, BUT not so slow that it is a burdon when driving, barly notice it really.

I have had it for about 4 months. and the traffic feature is really nice if you are in an area that has it.

for 79.99 I would grab it, might have to get a second one for the other car now. I paid close to 150 for mine!

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-06-2009, 9:03 AM
I am told that there are only two satellite service providers for GPS end user applications.

Whichever one is used by On-Star and GOOGLE is not capable of finding my house. They both take the user about 5 miles down the road into another town

I am told that Magellan can find me.

Anthony Scira
10-07-2009, 2:31 AM
The one I played with was not so great and would get itself lost. I would stick with a name brand with good ratings. They are not that much more.

Neal Clayton
10-07-2009, 2:46 AM
well, i found out the hard way when looking for one for my truck that UI friendliness is next to godliness with a GPS. i started with a tomtom, and it was horridly unintuitive to learn. it wound up getting stolen when the helper left the truck unlocked at the borg. second time around went with a garmin, and wouldn't use another one, honestly.

so my advice is use them all in the store display rack, and imagine yourself operating this thing at a glance without really looking at it. if you can't pick that up rather quickly, find a different one.

Anthony Scira
10-07-2009, 9:39 AM
Forgot to add I ended up buying my Dad a Garmin with the hands free thing. You press a button and tell it where you want to go. Pretty neat !

And I must say life is easier since I can just tell him an address and he gets there with no problems.