PDA

View Full Version : WAY off topic lol

Bonnie Campbell
10-04-2009, 2:07 PM
Just wondering what kinds of 'comfort foods' people eat. Today, at least, mine is homemade chicken noodle soup. Not often I make this since I hate rolling out the noodles. But it sure brings back a lot of good memories of mom cooking HUGE pots of soup :)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-04-2009, 2:14 PM
The LOML has come up with two comfort foods recently that I especially like......homecooked Italian wedding soup and Chinese coleslaw.....

Your home-made chicken noodle soup does sound good, however.

Joe Pelonio
10-04-2009, 2:16 PM
Gotta be meatloaf. :)

Eric Larsen
10-04-2009, 5:18 PM
Mac & Cheese -- from scratch with a crumb topping. No blue boxes for me.

Buffalo Wings -- both LOML and I agree it's our favorite comfort food.

Garlic mashed potatoes.

Cassoulet.

Bill Arnold
10-04-2009, 5:24 PM
Comfort foods? My problem is I have too much comfort with too many foods! :eek:

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-04-2009, 5:39 PM
Is there a limit on how many I can pick? :)

+1 on the chicken noodle soup. We have a big pot on the stove right now - courtesy our awesome neighbor, while the LOML is recovering. Had some other soup from a different neighbor the other night too. Both are delicious. I also want to add meatloaf, as well as any sort of meat served with gravy and mashed potatos. Oh - and on a nice snowy day, after coming in from snowblowing and clearing off the cars, the wife usually has a nice crockpot full of corn chowder for me. yum yum yum

Rod Sheridan
10-04-2009, 5:56 PM
Homemade macaroni and cheese, with tomatoes in it of course.

Tortiere has to be one of my favourites, reminds me of Christmas eve.

Campbells tomato soup, with Saltine crackers, another from my childhood.

Damn, I'm at work and hungry now........Rod.

Judy Kingery
10-04-2009, 6:46 PM
Bonnie,

You picked a perfect day to ask! Oh everything is fine other than overcast and chilly. So your chicken soup sounds perfect to me! Probably our favorite comfort foods would be chili and beef stew during winter. Then well just what we like in the summers are grilled meats, potatos. I'm with the guys who said mac and cheese, too! Interesting question and responses!

Regards,

Jude

Jim O'Dell
10-04-2009, 8:09 PM
Chicken fried chicken, mashed taters and gravy, with green beans, not the regular type, but the real wide green bean..don't know what they are called. All time favorite.
Others would be a big pot of red beans,(crock pot going right now with jalepeno cornbread in the oven!!), especially with the home made chowchow my MIL made before she passed away. Man I miss that stuff. Chicken enchilada soup. Chicken and dumplings the way Mom used to make it when I was a kid...LOML won't even try:rolleyes:. Chili is also a good one on a cold winter night, with crackers and a big hunk of extra sharp cheddar cheese. Jim.

Oops!! A big bag of peanut M&Ms. Not those wimpy 16 oz bags either.:eek:

Brian Brown
10-04-2009, 8:17 PM
Number one comfort food is Mac & Cheese. To me comfort also means ease of preparation. That means the blue box stuff. Not to hijack the thread, but with the yummy answers given here, we need the recipies if you are not doing it out of a box!

jerry nazard
10-04-2009, 8:26 PM
Fried chicken w/ pan gravy, mashed potatoes, collards, and biscuits.

Walter Plummer
10-04-2009, 8:57 PM
In the casserole layer in the macaroni then a layer of extra sharp white cheddar cheese and butter. Repeat until full. Add milk about half way up the casserole and top with crumbled saltines. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes, until the milk is absorbed.

ROY DICK
10-04-2009, 9:03 PM
Any/all of the above.

Roy

Jim Becker
10-04-2009, 9:04 PM
Chocolate. Good Mexican. Really good beef including burgers made from the same. So many choices....

Chris Ricker
10-04-2009, 9:39 PM
where to start??
Fried chicken, mac and cheese, meatloaf, (real) Mexican. All great answers.
How 'bout homemade italian sauce with meatballs and sausage over pasta with garlic bread??
I'm starvin:o

Mike Henderson
10-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Chocolate chip cookies!

Mike

Gene Howe
10-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Plain ol' ham and navy beans, over corn bread.
Large, ice cold milk.
Followed by LOML's chocolate chip cookies.

Caspar Hauser
10-05-2009, 6:29 AM
Home made Steak and Kidney pudding and Mash. Meat and Potato pie, infact my Mothers anything..:)

Hector Ellis' Pork pies, Tetley's bitter and the Sunday newspaper in the pub... burble....

Orion Henderson
10-05-2009, 9:29 AM
Grilled cheese and campbell's tomato soup, cold cereal, Oreo's and milk.

Chris Damm
10-05-2009, 9:37 AM
Peanut butter, bacon, cheese, and mustard sandwich on rye!! I'm having one right now.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-05-2009, 9:47 AM
Chicken fried steak, baked potato and corn! Chili is good too.

Phyllis Meyer
10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
This Italian girl loves Pasta!

Phyllis:)

Bonnie Campbell
10-05-2009, 1:07 PM
Actually just about ANY soup/chili/stew pot is good. I recall the big pot of split pea soup. We used to have to call it green 'bean' soup, or my brother wouldn't eat it lol

Then there are the quickie meals, grilled cheese, peanut butter bacon sandwiches, or the old school standby, bologna potato chip sandwich lol

Bonnie Campbell
10-05-2009, 1:09 PM
Geesh, I'm getting hungry still.... navy bean soup, potato barley soup..... Good thing they sell powdered ham stock now.

Doug Shepard
10-05-2009, 1:27 PM
Anything my neighbor wants to make:D
Every day when I get home from work, I grab my mutt, stop next door to grab their 1 year old german shepherd, then go 2 doors down where 2 labs live, and the 4 of them romp for about 45 minutes. So my next door neighbor has a tendency to make way too big batches of whatever she's cooking then cant figure out how to get it all in the fridge or freezer. So quite often on the way back home to drop their mutt off I get handed some real comfort food (the kind it dont take no work to make:D). About 2 weeks ago I got enough homemade vegetable beef soup to feed me for a week. A few weeks before that, it was enough kielbasa and sauerkraut to last 3 nights.

Bonnie Campbell
10-05-2009, 1:29 PM
......and we must NOT forget the homemade cinnamon rolls :rolleyes:

Ted Shrader
10-05-2009, 2:39 PM
Mondays are Red Beans and Rice day accompanied by some good sausage....

Gotta go add the celery and onions now.

Ted

Belinda Barfield
10-05-2009, 3:16 PM
When I was a little girl I caught every stomach virus that made the rounds. After about 24 hours of losing everything I put in my stomach the bug would run its course. As soon as I could keep solid food down my mama would make homemade mashed potatoes. Nothing special, but still my favorite comfort foot.

Made from scratch Mac & Cheese (with eggs).

My mama's made from scratch coconut cake with Seven Minute Frosting and freshly grated coconut.

My lentil soup with ham and carrots or ham and potatoes.

Beef stew. Oyster stew with lots of little oyster crackers. At Christmas my mama's pecan divinity.

John Pratt
10-05-2009, 3:32 PM
Bacon...which then leads into the next favorite, Homemade cinnamon rolls. LOML makes the best cinnamon rolls ever (okay, I'm a little biased). How does one lead into the other you ask.... LOML says the secret to good cinnamon rolls is Bacon grease. Instead of butter to hold the cinnamon and sugar, she uses bacon grease.

Brian Brown
10-05-2009, 3:34 PM
Shame on you Bonnie. :D This has to be the cruelest thread ever posted. :eek: With the exception of
Peanut butter, bacon, cheese, and mustard sandwich on rye!!, everything else here sounds so good. So much for the diet! I'll use you as this weeks excuse! :D

Rod Sheridan
10-05-2009, 3:44 PM
Chicken fried steak, baked potato and corn! Chili is good too.

I had to look up "chicken fried steak", I've seen it on the menu in restaurants when I've travelled in the US, however I've never ordered it.

Sounds delicious Steve, although it probably would set off the cholesterol alarm:D

regards, Rod.

Belinda Barfield
10-05-2009, 4:00 PM
I had to look up "chicken fried steak", I've seen it on the menu in restaurants when I've travelled in the US, however I've never ordered it.

Sounds delicious Steve, although it probably would set off the cholesterol alarm:D

regards, Rod.

I have to admit Rod, I have always been puzzled by the name "Chicken Fried Steak". Being from the South, where this is a common menu item, I just don't get it. Basically chicken fried steak is battered steak fried. We don't serve "Beef Fried Chicken" so why "Chicken Fried Steak?" Yes, the cholesterol alarm would go off for sure!:D

Rob Cunningham
10-05-2009, 6:17 PM
In order of comfort....
Meatloaf, macaroni and cheese (homemade) and stewed tomatoes (to put on the macaroni & cheese).
Homemade vegetable soup on a cold winter night.
Steak on the grill, baked potato, and corn on the cob
Pizza
Chinese food
And being from Philadelphia, there's nothing like a handmade Philly soft pretzel
This is cruel, it's almost dinner time and we are having leftovers of none of the above:(

Mark Hix
10-05-2009, 8:07 PM
When I was little, mom used to make me peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches w/ french fries.....Still makes me smile.......

And you guys better not pick on my chicken fried steak! it's a close second.

Orion Henderson
10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
May not be traditional, but a peanut butter, bacon, and banana sandwich is remarkably good and comforting. Good energy food; but you better do something to burn all that off.

Belinda Barfield
10-06-2009, 11:43 AM
May not be traditional, but a peanut butter, bacon, and banana sandwich is remarkably good and comforting. Good energy food; but you better do something to burn all that off.

Elvis, is that you? :D

Horton Brasses
10-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Elvis, is that you? :D

I had to google it. I had no idea what was Elvis related. Still a darn fine sandwich. I don't subscribe to the fry it like grilled cheese approach but I am sure it works.

I have to consolidate my memberships now as I am posting under two accounts.

Bob Genovesi
10-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Mine is seefood, I see it and I eat it!! http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/lol-046.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Sick-Smileys/)

Michael Weber
10-06-2009, 4:23 PM
Peanut Butter. Smooooth

Derek Gilmer
10-06-2009, 4:37 PM
A big bowl of peanut butter and honey mixed 50/50 :)

Michael Weber
10-06-2009, 8:53 PM
A big bowl of peanut butter and honey mixed 50/50 :)

I guess us Arkies just like the simple things;) My son lives in Conway way the heck out on the west side.