PDA

View Full Version : Zero clearance insert fit question

Dean Karavite
10-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Bought online a ZCI from Woodcraft - this one (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000909/552/Delta-Left-and-Right-Tilt-Zero-Clearance-Insert.aspx). Leecraft phenolic.

It has a screw at the front to adjust the fit, but even when I adjust this to be quite tight, the insert still has a slight side to side rattling (hear it more than see it). My last saw was a Bosch benchtop and the ZCI I used had a hold down screw while this unit just sits there, so there was no play, no matter how slight.

Am I worrying too much or what can I do to make this fit more snug? I have yet to cut it or use it.

Rich Neighbarger
10-04-2009, 1:40 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. If you are, perhapps some masking tape will do the trick.

Tom Hintz
10-04-2009, 3:40 PM
Are you sure that the SCI doesn't have an adjusting screw on the side also? I did a story on insalling a SCI (link below) and used LeeCraft inserts and all had adjusting screws on the end and one side.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/inst0dgreinsrt.html

Brad Westcott
10-04-2009, 7:25 PM
Are you sure that the SCI doesn't have an adjusting screw on the side also? I did a story on insalling a SCI (link below) and used LeeCraft inserts and all had adjusting screws on the end and one side.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/inst0dgreinsrt.html

+1

I even see an adjustor on the side in the photo he provided!

Chris Barnett
10-04-2009, 9:37 PM
Would like to see the photo of the ZCI (since i am needing one for a really thin blade) but the photo only appears in a flash, then its gone :confused:.

Josiah Bartlett
10-05-2009, 3:14 PM
Don't be afraid to add your own adjusting screws.

Michael Heffernan
10-05-2009, 5:09 PM
I purchased this exact ZCI for my Steel City table, since the opening is the same as for the Delta Unisaw. It comes with adjustment screws on the front end and the left side of the insert. You can get a perfectly tight fit in your table opening.
I had to re-bore the two leveling screws closest to the front of the saw for my Steel City, as the leveling tabs in the table opening are in a different location from the Delta. But it works great.
I also purchased the LeeCraft 1/2" Phenolic blank (BK-1 is the 1/2" thickness) and made my own. I got three blank inserts from one sheet. I rough cut them with my bandsaw, then taped the original insert to them and routed the finished profile with a bottom bearing flush cut router bit. I bored and countersunk the holes for the leveling screws (#8-32 x 1/2" flat bottom socket set screws), the front and side adjustment screws (#8-32 x 1/2" pan head screws). I then tapped all the holes with a #8-32 tap, leaving the last of the hole untapped, so the screws would fit snugly and not vibrate from their set position. I also bored a hole for the back side retaining pin and drove in a 3/32 x 1/2" spring pin.
It took some time to make the inserts, but the cost came out to about $8.00 each, including the blank and hardware. I have enough hardware left (bought it in packs through Amazon) for another 15 inserts, at least.
It's always good to have a bunch of ZCIs for your different cuts (various angles, various dado thicknesses, etc.).
Anyway, sorry for the rant. Check your LeeCraft ZCI. I'm sure you'll see the side adjustment screw, unless it is a manufacturing mistake.

Howard Acheson
10-05-2009, 5:49 PM
If the four leveling set-screws are adjusted properly, there should be no up and down movement of the ZCI.