PDA

View Full Version : Tandem Blumotion sliders...

Brian Penning
10-04-2009, 10:21 AM
,,,Anyone installed them? Very $$$
Looking at the instruction sheet it seems on the complicated side of things(for me that's normal)
They recommend a $$$ jig also for the pilot holes but I'm only installing 2 pairs.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=55149&cat=3,43614,43616&ap=1

Steve Rozmiarek
10-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Brian, they are good slides. The jig recommended does a good job of setting the angled hole for the front clip. Of course a woodworker could build a jig too, but if you don't want to mess with it, buy theirs.

Rob Haskell
10-04-2009, 11:07 AM
You don't need to buy the blum guides, there's just a notch and a hole in the back of the drawer. The notch allows the drawer to rest on top of the guide.
Yes, read the directions three times so there's no surprises. Since it's your first time it would be good to do a mock up. These guides are great, the standard for kitchen cabinet shops, except as you noticed when they are trying to save money!

frank shic
10-04-2009, 11:30 AM
they're not as complicated as you may think. for one thing, the cabinet side of the drawer slide has a MILLION holes so you can fasten it through any one of them and the drawer member is easy to freehand bore with a 2.5mm and 5mm drill bit although the drill jig does make it a lot easier. i've never had such SMOOTH sliding action with any other type of slide except for ball bearing slides which i think are ugly because they're just so obvious.

Jamie Buxton
10-04-2009, 11:32 AM
They're pretty straightforward. The thing to remember is that they really connect to the inside face of the drawer sides. The outside width almost doesn't matter.

You can find better prices than Lee Valley. www.wwhardware.com for instance.

Matthew Bradburn
10-04-2009, 11:34 AM
For the locking devices, it seems like I"ve done okay by holding them where I want them and drilling the angled holes with a vix bit. I've been doing the pin at the back of the slide by putting the drawer on the rails and pressing it against the pins to make a dent, then drilling at the dent.

Dan Friedrichs
10-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah, don't buy the jig. The spec sheet shows you exactly how to build your own.

Once you install one set, you'll say, "Oh wow! That's easy!". They really designed them well.

I used 7 sets on a bathroom vanity recently. They're nice, but I think they're more appropriately sized to kitchen drawers. My small drawers don't have enough mass, so it takes a good stiff tug to get them open, then a slight push to get the "self closing" action to engage, so they don't seem very smooth. I'd use them for heavy kitchen drawers, but wish I would have picked something else for my application.

Realize that there are two different ways to attach the slides to the case: You can mount them to the sides of the case (through the million different screw holes Frank mentioned), or you can attach the front of each slide to the face frame, then they sell an L-shaped bracket you can use to attach the back of the slide to the back of the case. Either way works. Also, if you want to use the side-mount, but the sides of your case are too far away from the drawer openings, you can use some blocks to build the side out a little.

Matt Meiser
10-04-2009, 3:57 PM
I've installed 2 sets now. Very easy actually and they dont' seem to be particularly picky if your dimensions are off a hair. I didn't use the jig for either. "Worst" part is that you have to notch the back of the drawers which takes an extra few minutes.