PDA

View Full Version : Stair Steps and a Bull Nose Bit

Johnnyy Johnson
10-04-2009, 6:42 AM
I am in the process of replacing 8 stair steps.( for a friend ) I ordered a bull nose bit for 1 inch material. I held it up to the steps at my house and to my surprise it does not totally fit the shape on the edge of the step. I am assuming then that after I shape the front of the tread, with the bit that I will have do some type of round over at the top and bottom of the tread to blend it in. Is this the normal way to do the steps?
Thanks

Peter Quinn
10-04-2009, 7:40 AM
I make a lot of treads at work. I don't know if there is any "standard" per se but we run an 1 1/8" bullnose on 1 1/16" thick material, so it is almost but not quite a full round over.

Richard Wolf
10-04-2009, 8:49 AM
Like Peter said, the standard thickness of treads is now 1 1/16. The 1" bullnose bit that you have will work on SYP treads designed for basement or carpet grade staircases.
Your best solution is to find a 9/16" round over bit and run both sides. I know you may have a little trouble finding a 9/16" bit, but the larger manufactures make them.

Richard

Paul Greathouse
10-04-2009, 10:28 AM
The roundover bit solution that Richard suggested is the best and also cheapest way to go, especially if you are only doing a few treads.

David Perata
10-04-2009, 5:16 PM
Paul, I knew a Tom Greathouse in Alameda, California some years ago. Any relation?

Bas Pluim
10-04-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't know if a stair has to be 1 1/16" thick by code, but if 1" will do, why not just plane them down? That way, you don't have to go hunt for a special bit.