PDA

View Full Version : Mini Birdhouses

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Well finally finished up Christmas ornaments. 32 mini birdhouses, 35ornaments, 12 bells, and a few snowmen. Here are a 4 newer versions I finished today along with 5 of the others I normally do. These are smaller than the others I have did. Everything is turned on these. The little flame on top, the roof, the body, the perch, the bottom of the birdhouse and the acorn finial on the bottom. I can do about 3 of the other style I turn to one of these but have just done the four. I got the idea from Bob Rosand. He told me to take his idea and run. I talked with him and he has a DVD out showing how to turn them. I thought I would get tired of turning all of it but these are a lot of fun to do and you need to be fairly accurate with your turning of the top and bottom finials to get them to look decent. First one is Cherry, Maple, Walnut. The second is walnut, maple and gaboon ebony. The 3rd and 4th are walnut, maple and redheart.

Steve Schlumpf
10-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Bernie - you sure been busy! I like everything but still love the original style of birdhouses best. Just me - I am sure all of them will be big sellers!

Barry ward
10-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Dang birdman,you been busy,Those are really nice,love em

Alan Tolchinsky
10-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Wow Bernie, you're putting us all to shame with all that work. I really like those. You've really done a great job combining all the different woods to make them little pieces of art.

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2009, 9:58 AM
Thanks all. As you can see the in the first picture the first one on the left was my first. They got more refined as I got for lack of a better word braver, they got more refined as the last one on the right I really like the shape and how it came out. They do take longer to make but sure are fun. Now if they all will sell I will be a happy camper.

Mark Hix
10-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Those are great. I like the turned perches. I have been using dowels, time for an upgrade.

Eugene Wigley
10-04-2009, 1:01 PM
Bernie, those are really cool. They look great and have very nice detail.
I wish I could do that.

Chris Rae
10-04-2009, 1:07 PM
Those are really cool! I like both styles.

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2009, 7:21 PM
Thanks again. Eugene the ones in the second picture are really easy to do. Mark I really like doing the perches. Really gives you practice doing small turnings.

Joshua Dinerstein
10-05-2009, 4:26 PM
Nice work Bernie!

I am going to have to try my hand at a few Christmas Ornaments this year. I like the turned perch elements on them. Really fine work there!

Joshua

Keith Burns
10-05-2009, 8:26 PM
Nice work all around Bernie !

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2009, 9:40 PM
Thanks Joshua and Keith. I appreciate it. Joshua you need to give it a shot. Lots a fun.

Richard Madison
10-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Nice little "houses" Bernie. And they do look like fun. 'Bout how big are they? Have only made full size ones.

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Richard overall they are about 3 1/2" long and with the roof about 1 1/2" or so wide. Thanks.

Richard Madison
10-06-2009, 5:05 PM
Thanks Bernie. Will try one tonight.