PDA

View Full Version : multi color on mirror plexi

sal shepherd
10-03-2009, 9:18 PM
I am trying to engrave a image on mirror plexi. the image has 3 colors in it plus cut out. what is the best way to engrave and line up all parts in stages for me to paint in between engraving ? Or direct me to a post , what you would call this process.

Tim Bateson
10-03-2009, 9:28 PM
Page 1 in Corel - complete image
Page 2 - Copy & Paste from page 1 & remove unwanted parts of image
Page 3 - Same as #2
Page 4 - Same as #2
Your three engravable images are now on pages 2,3,4 - all lined up with the original. Paint each layer & let dry

Addition - I prefer using high contrast color images as it's easier to visualize the parts.

sal shepherd
10-03-2009, 9:44 PM
Thanks Tim,

I guess I can use print merge to do a whole page???

Rodne Gold
10-04-2009, 3:11 AM
Why dont you just do the whole thing in one go and just mask off the various colours - easiest way to go.
Remember not to use solvent based paints as the acrylic can stress crack or craze and also remember if you reverse engraving (which is the only way I would do mirror) you can overpaint bits that are already painted with the 2nd and 3rd colours as if they dry they wont bleed the next colour so you dont have to remask em (use painters masking tape)

sal shepherd
10-04-2009, 2:43 PM
Hi Rodne, I thought there would be an easier way . That would be a lot of masking. I plan to do 50 images at a time. an cut them out at the end.

John Noell
10-04-2009, 3:04 PM
NO masking. Just engrave 1st colour, remove and paint. Put back in (same place!) and engrave 2nd color parts, remove and paint. Repeat for colour 3. No masking. Rodney was just saying that even though you see colour 2 from the front, putting colour 3 on top of #2 from that back (paint the whole thing so no masking and no misses) does not affect seeing colour 2 from the front except where it was engraved through for applying colour 3.

Dee Gallo
10-04-2009, 3:07 PM
Might I recommend starting with the darkest color, then overpainting with the lighter colors to avoid interference due to transparency?

:) dee

Frank Corker
10-04-2009, 4:38 PM
Tim nailed the procedure just right and Dee has the correct painting order for best results

sal shepherd
10-04-2009, 4:47 PM
Thanks John an Dee, I am still hung up on how to . If I fill a page up using print-merge than group each color than do a selection to engrave????? Ok a 1/2 hr later, I see the lite now thanks.