PDA

View Full Version : Another take on the fliptop stand

Dean Egnater
10-03-2009, 9:14 PM
So I decided to make a fliptop stand for my planer and chop saw. Especially the planer as I was getting very tired of lifting that thing. Looked at the pictures on the web of other peoples efforts and couldn't figure out why they didn't add infeed and outfeed tables/supports so I designed my version with folding tables. I was sure I was going to find out the hard way that there was a good reason I didn't see anybody else doing it.... But it turned out pretty good. (they also line up with the chop saw)

I included a cad drawing I used to make stand and some pictures

Notes:
I made the flip table eccentric to accommodate the different heights of the tools...big mistake...see giant slots in side of case because the position of the locking knobs changes.

The table was purposely set low so I could shim the tools up to level with the tables.

If I built it again the side tables would fold over the top of the cart (L shaped if that makes sense).....that way you would only have to concern yourself with the tables and the tool.....not table/tool/edge of stand.
file:///C:/Users/DEANDE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngfile:///C:/Users/DEANDE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png

glenn bradley
10-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Sweet. If you're like me you will love that thing.

Bill Huber
10-03-2009, 10:43 PM
That is one nice looking flip top, I really like the in and out feed tables. I have a Ridgid but I just make have to take the ones that are on it off and make some bigger ones the fold down.

Doug Carpenter
10-04-2009, 8:53 AM
Nice job. Could you show a little more detail of those knobs that lock the table top?

Carroll Courtney
10-04-2009, 9:15 AM
Dean,that is well design and your CAD drawning as well.Alot of time well spent.Thanks for the pics---Carroll

Dean Egnater
10-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Doug - The knobs are not my invention and are uber-clever. They are an eye bolt with a hardware store knob.

Carroll - Thanks for the nod on the cad....I was a designer for many years and that is less than an hours work. Now if only I could get that good at making the stuff I draw!

Dave Mura
10-04-2009, 1:21 PM
Nice one!!

Doug Carpenter
10-04-2009, 1:26 PM
Can you zoom in on the knob? I can't tell from the picturs how it works.

Thanks, Doug

glenn bradley
10-04-2009, 4:10 PM
Can you zoom in on the knob? I can't tell from the picturs how it works.

Thanks, Doug

Appears to be like mine more or less . . .

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=93833&d=1217701642

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=93834&d=1217701642

HTH.

Doug Carpenter
10-04-2009, 4:15 PM
Thanks Glenn,

Now I get it!

That is really cool. I am going to build one for me and I don't like the thought of using a peice of wood. I like the idea of two tools also. I was going to make mine so it rolls under a counter but now I'm not sure.

Dean Egnater
10-04-2009, 6:03 PM
For what it is worth I like to keep my tools high...my 49.2 year old back doesn't like bending all day. Also....make sure you calculate the swing of the top/tool before you make it any lower.....You will be surprised at how much height you need.

Doug Carpenter
10-04-2009, 6:26 PM
I'm going to build it for my disc sander. I use it for grinding recoil pads. you really need to be looking down at it when grinding so it would be good if it were a little lower.

Jerome Hanby
10-05-2009, 8:38 AM
That's not a half bad idea. Extra table for both the chop saw and the planer.

Gregory Lyons
10-06-2009, 10:54 AM
That's great. I've been planning to do almost the exact same thing for my 735, only sharing the stand with a belt/disc sander. How effective do you find the adjustable infeed/outfeed tables to be at controlling snipe?

~g

Dean Egnater
10-13-2009, 12:53 AM
Honestly....I haven't been in my shop since I finished this project....though I ran a couple test boards and they came out looking perfect.

That's great. I've been planning to do almost the exact same thing for my 735, only sharing the stand with a belt/disc sander. How effective do you find the adjustable infeed/outfeed tables to be at controlling snipe?

~g

Andrew Schlosser
10-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Notes:
I made the flip table eccentric to accommodate the different heights of the tools...big mistake...see giant slots in side of case because the position of the locking knobs changes.

If you put the anti rotation locking locks at the same height as the axle, why would it matter what the height of the tool is? Wouldn't the locks always line up with the case slots?

Great idea using 1 set of feed tables for 2 tables. Do you think I'd have anything to be concerned about with putting my open ended drum sander on the fliptop? I guess if the drum is going to deflect when it's upside down, it will also deflect when it's right side up?

Andrew

Ben Martin
10-15-2009, 8:27 AM
I am in the process of doing this same thing, I only need to added the feed table to the stand and adjust the height of the planer so both tools will be at the same height.

When you say that you would make the outfeed tables L shaped, do you mean that they would lip over the sides of the stand?