PDA

View Full Version : Roofing cement - can or tube?

Stephen Tashiro
10-03-2009, 7:56 PM
I want to install some rolled roofing made by GAP Inc. Their installation directions say "use the roofing cement recommended by the manufacturer". That is all they say about the type of roofing cement that can be used.

I despise messing with those cans of the tar like substance that is called "roofing cement". I'd prefer something that came in a tube like caulking does. And I would feel more confident about it if it behaved like a construction adhesive. Is there a good product like this? (I see tubes labeled "roofing adhesive", but I don't know what brands are a good roofing adhesive.)

David G Baker
10-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Good chance that the tubes will bankrupt you. The 5 gallon cans are much more efficient and cost effective if you have more than a very minor repair, but the choice has to be yours. Most of the roofing type caulking products that I used in the past for repairs are no longer available due to environmental issues so I can't give you any advice on the new stuff.

mickey cassiba
10-04-2009, 12:15 AM
+1 on the bulk goods. unless your doing a minor patch, you'll go through a lot of tubes. Adds up quick!
Mickey

Stephen Tashiro
10-04-2009, 1:54 AM
When I buy the stuff in tubes, is it the same material as the tar in the can? I'd pay extra for something that was more like a modern plastic adhesive.

Dick Strauss
10-04-2009, 1:11 PM
Stephen,
I think the tube of roofing repair goop I got was a black polyurethane material.

Russ Filtz
10-05-2009, 8:07 AM
Doesn't matter which you use. There's a Murphy's Corollary that says no matter how careful you are, the stuff will end up on your hands, on your clothes, in your hair, etc. ANYWHERE but where you need the seal!

Me, who's tried Black Jack in a tube and a can. See above!

Clara Koss
10-05-2009, 9:20 AM
my son just bought a new house and is doing things himself... the black tar stuff in a can is the way to get it done.... he came down looking tar and feathered.... @:>):eek:

Stephen Tashiro
10-05-2009, 10:42 PM
I think everyone who has worked on tar roofs gets a special collection of "roofing clothes" and "roofing tools". The clothes include shoes that are covered with tar, pants with tar on them, especially on the seat and several pairs of socks with a dark stain near the toes. The tools usually include a hammer and various other hand tools with tar on the handles. My collection includes a circular saw with tar all over the blade from cutting up old underlayment.

These items nicely complement my collection of yardwork clothes and tools which are covered with splotches of white paint.

Michael Wetzel
10-07-2009, 4:48 PM
You need to use a roofing ADHESIVE to glue down rolled roofing. It is not the same product as roofing cement.