PDA

View Full Version : Sittin’ in the middle of the Pacific doing laundry..

Bruce Page
10-03-2009, 7:52 PM
I’ve been working at Barking Sands, Kauai, Hawaii for the last couple of weeks. It has been HOT & humid here in Poipu, staying right at 80º - 82º around the clock, with no air conditioning in the condo – not good sleeping weather IMHO - thank God for fans!!
We should wrap up things in about 6 weeks then SWMBO is flying out for 10 days of R&R. I sure hope it cools down a little by then.

I was out in the shop just before leaving Albuquerque and noticed that the shop calendar was still on July! I'm looking forward to getting home in time for Thanksgiving. :rolleyes:

Doug Shepard
10-03-2009, 8:00 PM
Ya beatin that laundry on a rock er what?
Sounds like your really roughin it.:D

Bruce Page
10-03-2009, 8:12 PM
Ya beatin that laundry on a rock er what?
Sounds like your really roughin it.:D

It’s not as easy as it sounds. Been working 10-12 hour days not counting travel time since I got here on the 20th. With an hour drive each way to the range & back, it makes for a long day. :(

Brian Ashton
10-03-2009, 8:40 PM
I can remember my first experience with hot humid weather and trying to do laundry. To get my cloths to dry fast enough to not go mouldy I had to wear them (didn't have the luxury of a dryer then).

Andy Pedler
10-03-2009, 11:37 PM
It’s not as easy as it sounds. Been working 10-12 hour days not counting travel time since I got here on the 20th. With an hour drive each way to the range & back, it makes for a long day. :(

Working trips in traditional vacation spots must be a drag. Lots more fun stuff that you could be doing and you're stuck working. Just remember that it is a drag in KAUAI for crying out loud....you could be on that working trip to Nofunville, Elbonia... And the food is good when you get a chance for bite to eat. The seafood in Hawaii is amazing.

But on a more serious note, having spent some time on Kauai, is Poipu really the closest place to get a condo if you're working at Barking Sands? Seems like there are a number of places that would be way closer than an hour. Or is that where your work selects?

Andy - Newark, CA

Bruce Page
10-04-2009, 4:19 AM
Working trips in traditional vacation spots must be a drag. Lots more fun stuff that you could be doing and you're stuck working. Just remember that it is a drag in KAUAI for crying out loud....you could be on that working trip to Nofunville, Elbonia... And the food is good when you get a chance for bite to eat. The seafood in Hawaii is amazing.

But on a more serious note, having spent some time on Kauai, is Poipu really the closest place to get a condo if you're working at Barking Sands? Seems like there are a number of places that would be way closer than an hour. Or is that where your work selects?

Andy - Newark, CA

Andy,
Well, just before coming out to Kauai I did 3 weeks of environmental testing on the hardware at White Sands Missile Range in southern New Mexico that was hell personified. So yeah, other than being a long plane ride away, Poipu isn’t so bad. As far as sightseeing, this is my 7th trip out here and there isn’t that much to see.
We can stay where ever we want as long as the costs are within the per diem. Some of the folks I work with stay in Waimea or Kekaha but there’s absolutely nothing to do in those towns when the sun goes down. One of the guys I work with is staying at the Waimea Plantation Cottages and speaks well of it. I might give it a look if I have to come out here again. (4 years from retirement - PTL!)

Glenn Clabo
10-04-2009, 8:23 AM
I hear ya Bruce...most people do the "oh poor guy...you HAVE to work in Hawaii" thing when I used to say I didn't like going there. The problem is...whenever I went I would work more and sleep less...and never actually get a chance to sit on a beach. Besides the fact that plane ride got harder and harder as I got older and older. I now send the young guys and sleep in my own bed.