PDA

View Full Version : FS-41 Elite is here....

Chris Padilla
09-20-2004, 2:55 PM
Okay, Da Beast showed up this morning at 10 am.

I know I'll get some flack for this post but I didn't have any time but to tease you (and myself) with some quick "yeah, it looks fine, sign the paperwork" pics!

I'll get to tearing it open further during this week and post a few more pics. Gawd this thing is big...what was I thinking??? :o

Michael Perata
09-20-2004, 3:05 PM
Very excellent! Call me if you need some help unloading/setting it up.

I have a chain hoist if you need it.

Ed Moehlenpah
09-20-2004, 3:19 PM
Impressive Chris. If you need additional hands getting it out of the box, give me a call.

Ed

Jim Becker
09-20-2004, 3:24 PM
VERY NICE Box, Chris! 'Can't wait to see what's in it!!

Manny Hernandez
09-20-2004, 3:24 PM
Very excellent! Call me if you need some help unloading/setting it up.

Hmmmm, how much weight can these chain hoists lift? I'm still trying to figure out how to get my planer on it's mobile base. Do you have a pic of yours, so I'll know what I'm looking for?

Manny

Russell Svenningsen
09-20-2004, 3:26 PM
Chris, Jim, et al................DO ANY OF YOU WORK????!!!!! :D :D :D

Yeah, I know.........me neither! ;)

Donnie Raines
09-20-2004, 3:30 PM
Ok....so you have a box.....and so this box just happens to have some realllllly cool words written on it.....that does not mean there is anything really cool inside. Heck, even I can pick out a box from the dumpster and say,"Look what I got today".......Come on Chris...you knwo the rules.....you made them...... :rolleyes: :D

Jon Olson
09-20-2004, 3:31 PM
Thats a pretty box Chris!!! I'm with Michael, if you need assistance
let us know.

Jon

Jim Becker
09-20-2004, 3:31 PM
Chris, Jim, et al................DO ANY OF YOU WORK????!!!!! :D :D :D

Yeah, I know.........me neither! ;)
I'm working right now...on a conference call and have multiple computers...:rolleyes:

Michael Stafford
09-20-2004, 3:32 PM
Man, the box that thing came in is bigger than my shop! If it wasn't so far I'd come help just to get "dibs" on the box so I could add another wing to the wood shop.

Steve Evans
09-20-2004, 3:34 PM
Something tells me that weight of 494 isn't any of those puny little imperial things ;)

Jon Olson
09-20-2004, 3:43 PM
Reading the Min-Max website - your beast of a box must be written in Kilos b/c the website says 940 lb base weight for the FS-41. that beast just got bigger!!!!

Chris Padilla
09-20-2004, 3:54 PM
Yep, "Made in Italy" where they use the metric system. Them numbers is kilograms! :D

1 kilogram is 2.2 pounds...yeah, this thing is nearly a 1/2 ton.... :D

I may need y'alls back to lift this sucker on the mobility kit! We'll see...I ain't afraid to holler if I need help. :D

I couldn't convince the delivery guy to leave his 5.5 ton pallet jack!? :confused: ;)

Gary Max
09-20-2004, 3:57 PM
You could always rent to box out---or make two condos out of it.
I am just hoping this doesn't start a trend of pics of boxes????

Michael Perata
09-20-2004, 3:58 PM
Manny

My hoist lifts 2,000# (my combo is 1,500#)

Mine is similar.

Tim Sproul
09-20-2004, 4:03 PM
He doesn't need that. We'll all just lift up the sucker by using the ends of the tables... :D .

No envy here..... :p

<Tim sneaks off the break open the piggy bank and see if he hasn't misplaced several thousand dollars>

Hey Manny.....I think this might be your ticket too. Could you fit a slider if you give me your jointer and thicknesser and get yourself a combo like Chris'? Keyword being GIVE ;) .

Manny Hernandez
09-20-2004, 4:06 PM
Manny

My hoist lifts 2,000# (my combo is 1,500#)

Mine is similar.

Thanks Michael. Perfect. 1500# is what it weighs. I'll have to find out if the beams in my garage can handle it.

Dean Baumgartner
09-20-2004, 4:20 PM
Thanks Michael. Perfect. 1500# is what it weighs. I'll have to find out if the beams in my garage can handle it.

Unless you have a special beam designed for lifting a load with the beams in a garage probably aren't up to 1500#. IIRC the spare room truses I put up in my shop are designed for something like 50#/sqft and that's much more than a garage that isn't designed for any type of loft room.

Dean

Chester Mullins
09-20-2004, 4:20 PM
I just bought one of these off of woodweb, 6 months old still had the first set
of Knives that had never been fliped.
Looks new, great price, but I had to drive 1500 Miles round trip to get it.
I think you are going to love this Machine.

Manny Hernandez
09-20-2004, 4:32 PM
Unless you have a special beam designed for lifting a load with the beams in a garage probably aren't up to 1500#. IIRC the spare room truses I put up in my shop are designed for something like 50#/sqft and that's much more than a garage that isn't designed for any type of loft room.

Dean

Uh oh, sounds like I may be back to square one. Thanks for the info Dean.

Hey Tim, I thought you've given up on power jointers? Getting tired of the #7?

Jason Tuinstra
09-20-2004, 4:39 PM
Sweet haul Chris. I freely admit I had no idea what a FS-41 Elite was. After seeing the price, I'm sure my wife would be proud of me :D Having said that, how cool to have a 16" jointer!!! I'm sure you'll have great fun with this bad boy. Enjoy it and keep us up to date.

Denny Lawson
09-20-2004, 4:44 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: You're gonna put that beast in your garage!!!:eek: :eek:

<thunk>

<Denny passes out and falls out of chair>

:D

Dick Parr
09-20-2004, 5:23 PM
Manny, go to a rental place and rent a mobile engine hoist (I think it cost me $15 for half a day rental). You tow it home. That's what I did for my Grizzly 1023SL. It worked like a charm.

Chris, you might do it with a couple of engine hoist's. One on each end. Those things can lift allot of weight.

Good luck both of you.

Chris Padilla
09-20-2004, 5:34 PM
Manny, go to a rental place and rent a mobile engine hoist...
Ah! A cherry picker...that should work! ...and you only need to lift it a couple of inches anyway...not 3 feet like required for an engine/tranny hoisting.

Christian Aufreiter
09-20-2004, 5:51 PM
It's only a box but I'd call it gloat anyway. ;)
Congrats, Chris.

Manny Hernandez
09-20-2004, 6:27 PM
Manny, go to a rental place and rent a mobile engine hoist (I think it cost me $15 for half a day rental). You tow it home. That's what I did for my Grizzly 1023SL. It worked like a charm.

Good luck both of you.

Thanks Dick. I'll check out my nearest rental place.

Chris, I'm still laughing at your pic. You sure that's not your real nose? I have some carving tools. I can shape that thing back to normal on Saturday. :)

Chris Padilla
09-20-2004, 6:31 PM
Manny,

You're on...I'm always looking for some cheap plastic surgery. Just sharpen the blade to 2000 grit...at least! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2004, 7:53 PM
Nice box!......I'm jealous? :confused: :eek: :p :D

Bruce Page
09-20-2004, 8:17 PM
How Sweet It Is!!

That is one fine mosheen Mr. Padilla! I'm looking forward to seeing it unwrapped and you first impressions.

Dave Avery
09-20-2004, 8:30 PM
Yep, "Made in Italy" where they use the metric system. Them numbers is kilograms! :D

I may need y'alls back to lift this sucker on the mobility kit! We'll see...I ain't afraid to holler if I need help. :D

I couldn't convince the delivery guy to leave his 5.5 ton pallet jack!? :confused: ;)

Chris,

Real cool box..... but, for future reference y'all is singular. If you want to refer to multiple people down south, it y'all, y'all :) . Honest. Good luck with your back.......

Glen Smith
09-20-2004, 8:40 PM
Chris,

Real cool box..... but, for future reference y'all is singular. If you want to refer to multiple people down south, it y'all, y'all ..

Are you sure, I've been living here for 11 years (time flies!) and I thought that it was "all y'all".

I, however, am keeping true to my Central New York heritage and refuse to use anything other than "youse guys".

Dave Avery
09-20-2004, 8:45 PM
Are you sure, I've been living here for 11 years (time flies!) and I thought that it was "all y'all".

I, however, am keeping true to my Central New York heritage and refuse to use anything other than "youse guys".

Doooooohhhhhhh. You are, of course, correct Glen. See what happens when a Northern guy pretends to know something about the South. :)

Tim Sproul
09-20-2004, 9:24 PM
I can shape that thing back to normal on Saturday. :)

CAn I help??!!! CAn I help??!!!!! :D

Would be a great way to learn carving....it isn't as if I could make that schnauzer any worse :eek:!

And Manny, I still like my hand planes....but there is a world of difference between the 6 inch Jet I sold and the aircraft carrier setting in your shop ;). C'mon, I still think a combo plus a slider would do you good.

Paul B. Cresti
09-20-2004, 9:57 PM
Chris,
You do not need anything special to get it off of the pallet, I know because i had my father help me do that about a month ago. The mobility kit consists of a pair of wheels that get mounted under the "cabinet". All you need to do is lever it up a bit to slip the wheels under and then bolt them on. The wheels retract up and down for moving it. The "t bar" gets attached to one of two brackets on either side of the machine. One side you use to lift the machnie slighly to lower the wheels and then you move the tbar to the other side to move it. Once installed make a ramp and pull it off. You may have to hack away one side of the pallet to drop one side down though. Good luck. It is a great machine, but it takes some time getting use to jointing on a table saw!!!!!

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Thanks, Paul...I was hoping you'd chime in on this thread! :D I'll need to get this sucker mobile soon...like this weekend! :D

Paul B. Cresti
09-21-2004, 10:09 AM
Chris,
no problem PM me if you want to go into further details. It really was quite easy

Mike Palmer
09-21-2004, 2:51 PM
Congrats on the BIG J/P, Chris. You will now look at those wide boards differently by saying "No Problemo"!

As far as your dillema in getting it mobile, I have used Pauls method of raising and lowing one end to get a machine on a mobile base and I have used a chain hoist. For me, I like the chain hoist method because its "slow and easy." You do have to have an overhead beam or support to carry the weight.

If you need help with setting up the machine and getting it true let me know. I just finished giving mine a tune up.

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 3:15 PM
Do any of you have a source of good ALUMINUM straight-edges? I'd like a good 6 or 7 footer. Veritas just came out with a very nice 24" Al straight-edge but they have no other sizes as of right now. I did send them an email requesting longer lengths but who knows when that will happen if ever.

I have a very nice Starrett 36" steel one so maybe I'll use that to find a decently flat Al level or something. Thoughts?

Jamie Buxton
09-21-2004, 3:54 PM
Do any of you have a source of good ALUMINUM straight-edges? I'd like a good 6 or 7 footer. Veritas just came out with a very nice 24" Al straight-edge but they have no other sizes as of right now. I did send them an email requesting longer lengths but who knows when that will happen if ever.

I have a very nice Starrett 36" steel one so maybe I'll use that to find a decently flat Al level or something. Thoughts?

MSC (www.mscdirect.com) and Enco (www.use-enco.com) are sources for machinists tools. They show 6-ft straightedges in the $250 area.

I also have an acquaintance who swears that you can make a straightedge yourself if you have lots of time. You start with two fairly straight pieces of aluminum, put valve-grinding abrasive between them, and rub them together. When I expressed some skepticism, he launched on a whole story about making telescope mirrors when he was a kid, with essentially the same technique. He claimed you can get accuracy down to optical wavelengths.

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 3:59 PM
Thanks for the pointers, Jamie.

Interesting idea on the Al rubbing. I think I'll blow $250 on one, however! :D

Gary Max
09-21-2004, 4:11 PM
Chris I went down to the local metal supplier-----real big place and went through their scrap bin and found a 6 inch alum. angle--that had been a cut off. This sucker is 6 foot long and is almost a 1/2 inch thick-----cost $1.00lb. I think it worked out to $43.00.
But you want to talk about a straight edge that will always be true. I use it for all kinds of things from a fence to a straight edge.
The funny part is I bet there have been a 100 folks walk by it and go---That works

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 5:12 PM
Nice haul, Gary. I may have to look up some warehouse here and see what we have.

However, you won't know how straight it is unless you measure it against a true straight-edge. Still, that is quite a chunk of aluminum you have!

Let's see, Al has a density of 2.7 x 10^3 kg/m^3, there are 2.2 lbs/kg and the volume of your bar is 0.5" x 72" x 6" which is 216 in^3 or 0.0035 m^3 so your bar weighs about 9.5 kg or about 21 lbs--call it 20 lbs since you said it isn't quite a 1/2" thick. You sure it was only $1/lb?? :D

In case you guys were curious (I am anyway), some other densities of metals:

<TABLE><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 border=3>

<CAPTION>Densities of Common Metals</CAPTION>
<TBODY><TR><TD>Material</TD><TD>Density (kg/m^3 * 10^3)</TD></TR><TR><TD>Aluminum</TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Brass</TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Concrete</TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Copper</TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Gold</TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Iron</TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lead</TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mercury</TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Platinum</TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Silver</TD><TD>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Steel</TD><TD>

</TD></TR>
</TABLE>

Gary Max
09-21-2004, 6:19 PM
Chris it was awhile ago that I bought my alum angle but the $1.00 is correct. I was just down there and bought some more for another project. I am going to hang Martin birdhouses from a 12 foot 4x4 and needed a croos menber for the top. Last week I bought a peice of 2 inch Alum. channel 10 foot long. If you think about it ---why wouldn't be straight. Remember I ain't got the big bucks so I look for a less costly (cheaper) way to go.

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 6:48 PM
I'm just busting your chops, Gary. I'm sure it is straight but how straight is my only question. You won't know how straight until you measure it is all I am trying to say. Everything has a tolerance.

Veritas claims a 3 mil change (that is 0.003") per 24" of level for their Al straight-edge. Starrett on their steel straight-edges claim 0.2 mil (0.0002") per 12 inch of level. I have a 3 foot one from them so that means it could vary as much as 0.6 mil over that 36" length.

For the sake of argument, let's say your unmeasured Aluminum bar stock has a tolerance of 5 mil (0.005") per foot. So over your 6 foot length, it could be as much as 30 mil or 0.030". Is that a big deal? That is 1/32" over a 6 foot span. I'd say that is pretty darn good for the price you paid considering it wasn't being sold as a "straight" edge. One simply pays extra for the extra work required to get something lower than 5 mil/foot tolerance.

For setting up a machine like a large, wide jointer with ~6 feet of cast-iron tables that takes 1/32" off on a pass of wood, I'd prefer something better than 5 mil/foot tolerance to adjust my tables. Call me one of those crazy, anal engineers who wants tight tolerances when working with wood that moves all over the place! :rolleyes:

Jack Diemer
09-21-2004, 7:24 PM
Chris, did you factor in the magnetic field effect that those various metals will have. :D

Chris Padilla
09-21-2004, 7:43 PM
Ha, listen to you stretching back to your fields class...don't hurt your brain, Buddy! ;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-21-2004, 8:46 PM
Why is it that Chris is as quiet as a "Church Mouse" in living color? Inquiring minds want to know! :D Nice score on the iron Chris................just turn the thing on and run some wood thru it already, "wood" ya? :p

Ian Barley
09-21-2004, 9:20 PM
Call me one of those crazy, anal engineers who wants tight tolerances when working with wood that moves all over the place! :rolleyes:

You are one of those crazy, obsessive engineers who wants tight tolerances when working with wood that moves all over the place!

There - make you feel better?

Nice machine by the way!

Oh! - nice avatar too.

Tom LaRussa
09-21-2004, 9:59 PM
Okay, Da Beast showed up this morning at 10 am.
I know I'll get some flack for this post but I didn't have any time but to tease you (and myself) with some quick "yeah, it looks fine, sign the paperwork" pics!

I'll get to tearing it open further during this week and post a few more pics. Gawd this thing is big...what was I thinking??? :o[/QUOTE]
Man, that is one awesome machine!

If I had the space to put something like that I'd be insanely jealous. Heck, I don't have the space to put something like that and I'm still insanely jealous! :o
Here's a serious question for you, Chris:

With that awesome piece of machinery sitting in the shop just begging to be used on something big, are you sure you don't want to build your own woodwooker's bench?

Mark Singer
09-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Chris,

Move a little closer!

Chris Padilla
09-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Why is it that Chris is as quiet as a "Church Mouse" in living color? Inquiring minds want to know! :D Nice score on the iron Chris................just turn the thing on and run some wood thru it already, "wood" ya? :p
You may wish to chat with the "crew from KC" about my quietness, Kevin! ;) Specifically, ask the driver, Mr. Mike Hannah! :D I can be pretty brutal! :p

Chris Padilla
09-22-2004, 10:44 AM
Ian, thanks for the kudos!

Tom, I still may do that but now SWMBO sees this high-dollar machine and is asking for that honey-do list to shorten up fast! She expects a return on this "investment" and quickly!

Mark, that is an interesting invitation but I'm hoping the next time we move, it is to a place that has 4 seasons...not 2! :D

Scott Coffelt
09-22-2004, 1:59 PM
Man, "Stubby" didn't say much and when he did it had words we can't use on this forum..... :p

Actually, when not sleeping like a baby he talked some...OK, maybe a little more then some....

but then again, I'm a chatter box so it's hard to get a word in edge wise.

Right STUBBY?

Chris Padilla
09-22-2004, 2:11 PM
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Scotty...get a real avatar already.... ;)

Scott Coffelt
09-22-2004, 2:37 PM
Speaking of, is it me or does Mark's avatar make him look like the model for "Just For Men"

Chris Padilla
09-22-2004, 2:42 PM
Agree, Jim did some masterful "work" on Mark Singer's avatar. No way anyone really looks like that in the real world...only Hollywood/TV.... ;)

Tyler Howell
09-22-2004, 2:45 PM
Less Talk, More Pictures. All this hubub over a box:confused:

Congrats Chris:cool:

Chris Padilla
09-22-2004, 2:49 PM
Okay, okay...more later this week... :D

Jim Becker
09-22-2004, 4:13 PM
Agree, Jim did some masterful "work" on Mark Singer's avatar. No way anyone really looks like that in the real world...only Hollywood/TV....
Hey...I only did color correction to "brighten" things up, sharpened the focus and blurred the background so that his gleaming Hollywood smile came through.

I can work wonders with yours, too...

Chris Padilla
09-22-2004, 4:23 PM
Funny thing is that my hair is actually like that when I take the hat off! :eek:

Scott Coffelt
09-22-2004, 4:48 PM
What hair, seems all I saw was hanging out the hat, when the hat came off I needed my sun glasses. Of course, Mike Hannah has a tad bit less then you.

Must be real bored today at work Chris. Can't find in magnetic charges??????

Jim Becker
09-22-2004, 4:50 PM
Must be real bored today at work Chris. Can't find in magnetic charges??????Scott, didn't you know that there is an alternative form of EMI that affects not our electronics, but our minds? Sawdust is one of its integral ingredients... :D

Chris Nolin
12-07-2010, 1:05 PM
Chris,
I know this thread is, like, 6 years old. But it's the only one I could find on the FS-41 Elite here on SMC. I have an opportunity to buy one used and I'd like to know your impressions of it. Do you still have it? And most importantly, do you have any pictures of it in your shop? :)
- Chris

Rod Sheridan
12-07-2010, 1:16 PM

Very nice Chris, I hope you enjoy it.

I moved my machine off the pallet using pieces of 1/2" conduit as rollers.

Pry up one corner with a pry bar, insert roller, repeat. Those Egyptians were no fools.

I moved mine with only the help of the shop cat, and my back was fine afterwards:D.

Bu the way, no need to explain the weight in Kilograms, what do you think the remainder of the world uses???:D:D

Have fun with it, I do agree though, at first glance it's "Wow that's big" then after a week it seems normal......Regards, Rod.

P.S. On the Felder/Hammer machines, you only have to lift one corner at a time for the mobility kit, easy to do with a pry bar and a scrap of wood.

Kevin Stockwell
12-07-2010, 1:24 PM
I hope has figured that out in the last 6 years:D

Don Morris
12-07-2010, 4:18 PM
Soa youa hava machina mada ina Italya Thatsa gooda betta thana mada ina China. Ima knowa becausa Ima liva ina Italya fora buncha yearsa ana thisa morninga wea hada oura capucchina.

YOUA SUCKA

Chris Nolin
12-07-2010, 4:45 PM
I've always been hesitant to learn Italian because it seemed too difficult. But Don makes it look so easy! I had no idea I could read Italian already!

James Baker SD
12-07-2010, 5:06 PM
I'm waiting for pictures also, not because I think the box is from a dumpster, but because I am ignorant and do not know what an FS-41 is.

Van Huskey
12-07-2010, 5:21 PM
NOTE: THREAD IS 6 YEARS OLD!

In case Chris P doesn't get by soon to answer Chris N's questions this is a FS41 Elite:

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_bs.tpl&product_id=46&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=35

Chris Nolin
12-07-2010, 5:28 PM
Maybe a PM to Chris P would have been more appropriate than resurrecting a 6 year old thread. I thought others might benefit from his experience, as well.

Van Huskey
12-07-2010, 6:19 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with pulling up an old thread, many people probably will enjoy it! I just wanted them to realize it was old and Chris P has probably long since had the cosmoline off it!

Eric DeSilva
12-07-2010, 6:31 PM
NOTE: THREAD IS 6 YEARS OLD!

Yeah. And he still hasn't gotten around to putting the "after unboxing" pictures in the thread. Jeez.

Van Huskey
12-07-2010, 7:11 PM
Yeah. And he still hasn't gotten around to putting the "after unboxing" pictures in the thread. Jeez.

Whaddaya gonna do. Chris doesn't wanna be told how much he sucks.

Chris Nolin
12-07-2010, 7:31 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that Powermatic sander he bought from me, set up in his shop, either. :)