PDA

View Full Version : Question about bug tracks in bowl

Brian Effinger
10-03-2009, 1:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm roughing out a slightly green spalted hackberry (I think) bowl, and it has some bug tracks in it that are packed tight with sawdust from the critters. I roughed the outside of the bowl and turned a tenon to reverse it. Should I hit the bug holes with some thin CA since I would like to keep them?

Also after I am finished roughing it, and if I use the CA glue should I proceed with a DNA bath to begin the drying, or is there a better way? I'm just not sure because I am still new to green bowl turning.

Thanks for your help.

Brian

curtis rosche
10-03-2009, 2:38 PM
use the dna first. then use the glue after the wood is dry. i think dna would work as a solvent for the glue, and when the bowl dried im not sure if the glue would move with the wood on not.

before you remount the bowl. make sure you get the tenon really good with glue. if there are holes at just the right points, it will shear off with a small catch. thats no fun for the bowl, or your face.

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2009, 10:22 PM
If you want to save the saw dust hit'em with thin CA. DNA won't hurt the glue. I have glued cracks in tenons and the bowls themselves and DNA did bother it. If there are worm holes in the tenon make sure you hit them good. Make sure the CA is dried well before putting in the DNA. Maybe 10 minutes.

Steve Trauthwein
10-04-2009, 9:13 AM
Ca glue works before dna but I find the glued areas to be unsightly. I prefer to remove the dust from the red headed borer. I sell these better than the ones with the glued dust.

Regards, Steve

Brian Effinger
10-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. I roughed the outside of the bowl, and put a little CA on the tenon to firm it up. I'm going to take a good look at it in the morning and decide if I'm going to keep the holes filled or not worry about it and remove the dust later.
I do have one more question though. I was thinking of using danish oil for the finish. would the CA affect that? If it would, is there a better finish to be using?

Thanks again.

Brian