PDA

View Full Version : Wood Selection

Dave Dionne
09-20-2004, 12:42 PM
A question about cherry, I am going to build a shaker clock as a wedding gift for a frind of mine. I can get quatersawn cherry at a decent price, would that be good for the whole clock? Or should I just use that for the door, I am not sure if I hae ever seen quatersawn cherry fisnished as fair as the figure goes.

Thanks in Advance Dave

Russell Svenningsen
09-20-2004, 1:18 PM
I wouldn' use cherry at all. As a matter of fact, you'd better send that quartersawn cherry to me. You don't want to mess with that junk! ;) :D

Yes, you can use cherry for the whole clock. I would use a secondary, less-expensive wood for unseen structural components(poplar, for example).

Also, I would choose the finest boards(those with the best-looking figure) and save those for the most visible portions of the clock.

Good luck!

Donnie Raines
09-20-2004, 2:12 PM
Qrt sawn cherry has very tight(and small) ray flake across sections of the face of the board. Often, qrt sawn cherry will have a varity of color(shades more or less) throughout the areas that are qrt sawn. I think that this would be another one of those "to each their own" situations. I am not a big fan of qrt sawn cherry....but some are. The beauty of cherry is the grain that flows throughout the face of the board...not the straight grain of qrt sawn. But then again....that my take on cherry.... :rolleyes:

larry merlau
09-20-2004, 2:28 PM
i agree with donnie, have made one small project with qtr sawn cherry and it looks good but the flat grain is nicer in my opinion as well. the qtr sawn was very blocthy as well, tried coloring it and decided to leave natural. if you have access to the flat sawn, look at them both and compare, perhaps you might change your mind. :rolleyes:

Ellen Benkin
09-20-2004, 2:37 PM
Quarter sawn cherry has a lot of "pop" but may be too busy for the entire piece. I suggest a compromise -- use the quarter sawn for the door and straight cherry for the rest of the visible pieces. I'd also use a secondary wood, like poplar, for the parts that don't show.

Dave Dionne
09-21-2004, 8:02 AM
Thanks to you all
I was thinking that maybe I would use the quartersawn just for the door but I wasn't sure what qtr sawn cherry looked like. Does all qtr sawn wood display that flaked pattern. I love the look of qtr sawn white oak for those rays. I will try a piece out with some finish and see how it looks.

Thanks again Dave