PDA

View Full Version : Email Harvesting

Keith Outten
03-24-2003, 11:12 PM
To All:

Concerning email harvesting the software we use prevents anyone from acquiring email addresses en masse. Every member has the capability to block their personal email address so that it is totally invisible. In order for our members to participate without fear vBulletin provides Private Email so you can communicate with other members without fear of compromising your personal information. These are only a few of the reasons that we selected vBulletin for SawMill Creek.

We operate our own servers in our office, as we are an Internet Service Provider we don't rent space on other companies servers. There are only four people who have administrative access to our servers.

I have publicly stated on the board that we have never sold our email address list as an Internet Service Provider and it is against our company policy to allow anyone to use any information or personal data from any individual associated with our network. This rule applies to the members of SawMill Creek as well.

SawMill Creek has only one sponsor, Hampton Roads Online. We do not owe any advertiser loyalty or favors. I cannot explain to you how other forums on the Internet pay for the bandwidth, software, hardware and labor costs associated with running a service that is this expensive for free. I can tell you that our sponsor has agreed to provide these services as a FREE community service without any strings attached.

It is my sincere hope that this message answers any and all questions concerning our corporate policy regarding the protection of our members personal information.

Keith W. Outten Jr.
President
Hampton Roads Online, Ltd.

Tom Sweeney
03-25-2003, 11:59 AM
I appreciate you looking out for us. As for me, I get so much spam I just consider it a sad fact of life & I've gotten very quick on the delete button.

Does anyone ever buy anything from a spam message? If so Why?

Anyway - Thanks again for all the hard work of the crew.

Ken Garlock
03-25-2003, 12:56 PM
I think you and your team are doing an excellent job of providing top notch service. Now, if you can get Sprint and Visinet to do likewise:)

Thanks for clarifying your safeguarding of our Email.

BTW, after "playing computer" all day, when do have time to get to the shop?

Keep up the good work:D

John Miliunas
03-25-2003, 2:40 PM
...and I'll say it again: You guys ROCK! It does my heart good to know that there are still a few truly decent organizations around and that I have the privelage to being a small part of it. Thank you so, so very much for providing such a wonderful service to so many! It's appreciated more than you'll ever know!!!:cool:

Norsky
03-25-2003, 6:43 PM
Keith,

First, I appreciate you folks making the bad guys work to obtain info.

Second, since you mentioned it: <i><font color=blue>I have publicly stated on the board that we have never sold our email address list...</i></font>, I may have a suspicious nature but every time I read a statement like that I think, <i>Yeah, but you didn't say you wouldn't <b>give</b> the list away -- or <b>trade</b> the list for theirs.</i>;^)

Norsky - Cambridge, Iowa (alias for Al Stokka 'til the rule is final.)

Tony Falotico
03-25-2003, 7:17 PM
Originally posted by John Miliunas
...and I'll say it again: You guys ROCK! It does my heart good to know that there are still a few truly decent organizations around and that I have the privelage to being a small part of it. Thank you so, so very much for providing such a wonderful service to so many! It's appreciated more than you'll ever know!!!:cool:

I couldn't have said it better! :D

Aaron Koehl
03-28-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Norsky
Keith,

First, I appreciate you folks making the bad guys work to obtain info.

Second, since you mentioned it: <i><font color=blue>I have publicly stated on the board that we have never sold our email address list...</i></font>, I may have a suspicious nature but every time I read a statement like that I think, <i>Yeah, but you didn't say you wouldn't <b>give</b> the list away -- or <b>trade</b> the list for theirs.</i>;^)

Norsky - Cambridge, Iowa (alias for Al Stokka 'til the rule is final.)

How's about: The email list has only been viewed by Keith and I, when nobody else was around, and will stay that way. In addition, it has not been transmitted, transferred, sold, traded, given, misplaced, reappropriated, reproportioned, disassembled, routed, sawed, or (insert any other verb here to catch the rest) by any means, physically or electronically, in any form, visible or invisible, digital, human or machine-readable means, at all, to any party other than Keith and I, intentionally or unintentionally. :D

_Aaron_

Ted Shrader
03-28-2003, 9:34 AM
Aaron -

That pretty much covers it. :D

Ted

Randy Gleckler
03-28-2003, 11:03 AM
As has been said by many of the other folks, you guys are great, Your running a very nice forum in a very protected atmosphere. It's very freindly, helpful and informative and the first place I go every morning to find out what's new. I truley appreciate all the work you and others do to support this site.

THANK YOU

Tom Sweeney
03-28-2003, 11:54 AM
You practicin that lawyering thing again :p

John Miliunas
03-28-2003, 10:29 PM
Aaron, that's all well and good, but you forgot "sliced and diced"!:D Seriously, I wish your way was THE way other business's and ISP's ran their organizations! Kudo's! :cool: