PDA

View Full Version : Stacking Project Lumber and keeping % down

Johnnyy Johnson
10-03-2009, 6:47 AM
I know at the wood kiln where I buy, the sticks that are placed between the lumber during the drying is 3/4". Can I get by with 1/2" thick sticks in the building where I store my project lumber. I am wanting to keep it as low % as possible.

What is the thickness you guys use for storage?

Would it help to have a small fan just to keep the air stirring around?

Thanks

Stephen Reid
10-03-2009, 7:13 AM
Check out woodweb they have lots of info reguarding this in their sawing and drying forum.If the wood is dry now you can store it with out stickers.You can even wrap the lumber in poly(all 6 sides) to prevent mc gain.Just be sure to pile it properly so it won't take on warp from the way it's sitting.

Danny Hamsley
10-03-2009, 8:04 AM
If the lumber is kiln dry, it will stay dryer for a longer time in storage if you neatly flat stack it without stickers. In a pack like this, any moisture change will be very slow, preserving you kiln-dry status for a longer period of time.

If you sticker it, you expose each board to the ambient air. You are more likely to gain moisture than lose moisture, and over time, your lumber will come into equilibrium with the temperature and humidity in your storage building. Then, the moisture content may (will likely) be higher than what you had from the kiln.

If your lumber is air dry (versus kiln dry) and you bring it into a storage building, then stickering it will allow the lumber to slowly further dry to the equilibrium conditions in the building.

Johnnyy Johnson
10-03-2009, 9:15 AM
Thanks Danny...I think I'll leave it like it is and just make sure it is supported good.

Rich Aldrich
10-03-2009, 10:41 AM
This is the same information the guys told me at Timber Products were I buy rough cut. They do recommend keeping the lumber off concrete floors with stickers. Concrete can get damp during the spring and fall. It will normally only affect the bottom boards.