PDA

View Full Version : New guy been lurking for a little while

Jared lee
10-02-2009, 9:11 PM
Semi long first post.

Hi guys I am new here, as you can tell. I have been wanting to get some woodworking tools for a while and have finally started collecting a few. I just got a pretty good deal on a router and I am now looking out for a table saw. I am brand new to woodworking and have only used a table saw a couple of times. I am not really sure what I would need in one, but I know I only like to buy things once so I get what can cover me for a very long time. As I have been reading on different sites throughout the year the saw that keeps coming up is the Ridgid R4511, which has gotten alot of good recommendations. I actually went and checked it out tonight at the store and it looks like it would do the job I want, except it would need a new fence.

Now to the question, I came across this grizzly (http://greensboro.craigslist.org/tls/1399583249.html) for a little more than the cost of the new ridgid. I have contacted the guy who said it is 10 years old and was used lightly for personal use, much like I will do. I don't have a 220 V outlet in my garage and I am thinking about buying this saw and either getting one put in or doing it myself since the breaker box is right in the garage. If I go check this thing out, what are some signs I should look for of abuse? Any other ideas in case this would be to much saw for a new guy? Can you guys recommend a good book with plans on building introductory things? Site is awesome.

Thanks
Jared

jim hedgpeth
10-03-2009, 4:18 AM
I am fairly new as well, but if it is in good shape a cabinet saw is the way to go. Not really such a thing as too much saw as far as I know.

As far as things to watch for, open it up and look inside with a flashlight. Excessive rust, and/or water marks around the bottom may indicate it was in a flood, or kept in a wet basement. Buildup of sawdust could affect the movements as well, though that is easy enough to correct. Fire it up (if at all possible) and listen/feel for odd vibrations or noises. My old saw would make a kind of up and down humm, especially when shutting down. The bearings were going out of it. Run the blade full up to full down and tilt the same, feeling for any bind or jerkiness. All the adjustments should move smoothly, as I mentioned sawdust can be a factor so keep that in mind. Take a reliable straight edge and check the top too, fixing a warped top is EXPENSIVE. The Griz 1023 is a well respected saw, though I dont know about one that old. While there is little that can go terribly wrong with them, design changes may make parts hard to get. That fence is different than the current one, you might ask around about it. A new fence can run several hundred.
Ask why he is getting rid of it. That could tell you a lot. If there is a new Sawstop sitting there, selling the Griz makes sense. Just like a used car, ask and listen to what he says, and what he doesnt.

My opinion of the saw from what I see in the pics...
Good
Looks like a 50" rip fence, (it says long but not how long) T square design kind of like a Beismeyer.
Has a mobile base under it, ave. $140 or more new
Most likely a 3hp motor, though 5hp is also a possability.
Heavy = stable and less vibration.
Motor is inside, not hanging out the back like a contractor saw.

Bad
Getting it home will not be fun, Grizzly site has the 1023 at 400+lbs, thats a lot to get in and out of a truck bed carefully.
The fence is a big?? to me. If it looks questionable or dont lock solid consider the price of a replacement. That may put you close to the cost of a new Grizzly 1023
No riving knife. A big point to me.
Right tilt, but that is mostly personal preference. You may be fine with it.
The long fence rails mean it will eat a good bit of floor space.

To me its right at that $$ where if I could work him down a little and/or everything is excelent, I would have a hard time desciding yes or no.

Hope that helps,
Jim

Russ Boyd
10-03-2009, 5:31 AM
IMO, the grizzly is 10 times the saw as the ridgid. Not that the ridgid is bad, just that a cabinet saw is a LOT more saw than a contractor type. That being said, the ridgid will be easy to move....the grizzly, not so much. The rip capacity of the grizzly FAR exceeds the ridgid. If you are serious in that you want to buy once and have the space to not have to move it around, I would go with the grizzly in a heartbeat.

Jeff Willard
10-03-2009, 8:45 AM
I'd go over the saw with fine toothed comb, and then haggle. The newest version of that saw can be bought for as little as $1100, with free shipping. The big weaknesses (as I see it) in the older saw are:

Right tilt-may work for you, not ideal for me.

The fence has been superseded with what I consider to be a superior design.

No motor cover.

Probably a solid saw though, and likely more saw than most will ever need. I think you have some leverage on this one, bad economy, archaic design, etc.

Jared lee
10-03-2009, 3:55 PM
How is the shopsmith Mark V, I havent read much about it and this guy is in a hurry.

Link for consideration (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1402834344.html)

I'll do some searching but I thought I'd get a little feedback here.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-03-2009, 5:07 PM
Jared,

Welcome to the Creek.

Shopsmith is a respected tool and has it's following of loyal owners. The general feeling by most is, if your shop is small, the Shopsmith will allow you to do most things. It's considered a reliable machine that should last for generations. However, at the same time, it is generally not considered as functional as each woodworking machine separately.

glenn bradley
10-03-2009, 5:17 PM
The Griz is a different class of animal, that's for sure. It is a right tilt which would make me keep looking. Some folks don't mind the right tilt and some prefer it.