PDA

View Full Version : 5/16" Spindle Gouge?

Scott Conners
10-02-2009, 7:34 PM
I love my Sorby 3/8" fingernail spindle gouge, it's my main spindle workhorse. Recently I've been having to cut some very fine coves (down to <3mm) and my 3/8" gouge just isn't that controllable for that fine work. I picked up a 1/4" gouge, but it really is too small to be useful, even as small as I'm working. I can't get the fine control I need because even with 1" overhang it starts to vibrate enough to make control difficult.
I've never seen one, but a 5/16" spindle gouge seems like it would be perfect, does anyone know of a manufacturer of a 5/16" gouge?

Ryan Baker
10-02-2009, 8:27 PM
P&N has a 5/16" detail gouge. There may be others out there too. You should check out the grind that Cindy Drozda uses on her 3/8" gouges. It gives it the tip of a 3/16" gouge with the strength of a 3/8". She does have a signature line out now (at Packard), not that you need her tool for that grind. I have a Thompson 3/8" shallow detail gouge that also has a very small tip with a fingernail grind.

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2009, 9:21 PM
I use a 3/8" and 1/4" on delicate finials and such. If you are getting vibration I would suggest getting your tool rest as close as possible and use a finger behind the piece you are turning for support. Cindy Drozda said at a demo most of the problems with small stuff is vibration due to lack of support on the piece. Just a thought.

Gordon Seto
10-02-2009, 9:22 PM
Check out the Thompson Shallow Detail Gouge & Detail Gouge.
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/tooltype.asp?TYPE=SD
A spindle gouge has about 50% of the steel milled away. A shallow detail has about 80% of the steel remaining. Therefore it can allow maxium tool over hang without chattering. The down side is the flute is narrower, it takes some getting used to for control.

The Detail gouge which has 2/3 of the steel remaining, it may be a good compromise.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/Detailgougegrind003.jpg
Because there is so much steel underneath, I grind away the heel, that allows me to reach into very tight area.

Jack Brown
10-03-2009, 8:50 AM
Packard Woodworks sells a Bonnie Klein 5/16 spindle gouge.

Bill Blasic
10-03-2009, 8:52 AM
I purchased from Doug Thompson a few weeks ago his new 1/4" spindle gouge which I used for a Drozda hands on. It worked flawlessly for the finial work.

David Drickhamer
10-03-2009, 9:08 AM
I have a 3/8" Thompson Detail Gouge and can't speak highly enough of it. I'll be ordering a 1/4" detail gouge next week now that I see he has them back in stock.
Dave
(I also have a 1/2" V bowl gouge. It's my go-to bowl gouge)

Brian Effinger
10-03-2009, 1:04 PM
I have to echo what the others have said about Cindy Drozda's gouge. I took a hands on class with her too last weekend (gloat :D) and got a chance to try one of hers out. She basically grinds the tip down to a smaller area, and then grinds away the "excess" steel under and behind the cutting area. The bevel ends up being 1/16" or so. You could easily do this with any other 3/8" gouge.