PDA

View Full Version : Best way to ship a bandsaw

Joe Jensen
10-02-2009, 4:51 PM
I may have a buyer for my Laguna LT16HD Bandsaw. I am assuming the safest way to ship it would be to build a crate that has the saw lying on it's spine. If crated this way it's unlikely to get tipped over. If vertical I'd be very worried about it falling over during shipment or loading. Thoughts?

mickey cassiba
10-02-2009, 6:45 PM
On the spine for sure. When we shipped the re-conditioned deltas(28-682}, we shipped them on their back. 99% of the shipping damage occurred because of the small footprint vs tall profile.
Mickey

Jamie Buxton
10-02-2009, 8:42 PM
IRRC, my LT16HD came from Laguna in the upright position. I think it was bolted down to a pallet. The pallet gave it a wider footprint, and allowed handling with a forklift.

Jeff Willard
10-03-2009, 8:57 AM
My Laguna was shipped upright. Bolted to a pallet, with "ballast" packed near the bottom (motor, table). It certainly didn't seem to be "tippy". I think a freight company would prefer this (smaller footprint), and I believe I would too. Prevents anything else from being placed on top of it.

Joe Jensen
10-03-2009, 4:16 PM
Luckily I sold it locally this afternoon so I won't have to do the pallet :)

glenn bradley
10-03-2009, 5:14 PM
Well done Joe. You went and spoiled my answer; "Best way to ship a bandsaw?" answer "To my house". I know Grizzly makes you sign a waiver if you pickup a bandsaw at the showrooms and want to transport it other than upright.