PDA

View Full Version : Hollow form tooling question on this project?

Alan Tolchinsky
10-02-2009, 3:11 PM
Hi all, This is my second hollow form and I've come to a dead end. I can't finish it with the tools I have(see pic). They work pretty well but can't reach where I want them to. They're pretty bulky as you can see in the pics.

The form is about 5" x 5". I was thinking of making the opening a little larger. But is there a hand tool that could do this job? Thanks for any ideas.

Dennis Ford
10-02-2009, 3:29 PM
That is a pretty difficult shape for a second HF. I believe a "swan neck" tool would work for this. There are lots of other options and others will likely recommend some of those.

Steve Schlumpf
10-02-2009, 3:33 PM
The tool that you are looking for is called a goose neck. Basically, the tool bar is bent such that it can reach into the problem areas. There are a number of them for sale at the different woodworking retailers or you could make your own if you have the tools and knowledge.

Here is just one example of the type of tool I am talking about: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Hollowing_Tools___Robert_Sorby_Hol lowing_Tools___Robert_Sorby_Multi_Tip_Hollowing_To ol___sorby_multi_tip?Args=

Alan Tolchinsky
10-02-2009, 5:03 PM
Thanks guys. I'm guessing goose neck is the same as swan neck, just another bird but same tool. :) Steve I still have the PM you sent me; I have not forgotten.

Kirk Miller
10-02-2009, 8:43 PM
There is a Sorby Swan Neck hollowing tool in the classifieds section.

Thomas Canfield
10-02-2009, 8:53 PM
Check out the Don Pencil Scorpion or Stinger system. They include the straight and gooseneck bars and have a armgrip handle. For that size hollow form you can also make your own bent tools ( or have friends that make them).

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2009, 9:15 PM
Yep you need a swan neck for sure. Those tools look awful big for a 5 X 5 and that style of neck.

Alan Tolchinsky
10-02-2009, 9:31 PM
Yep you need a swan neck for sure. Those tools look awful big for a 5 X 5 and that style of neck.

Yep Bernie, that's what I was beginning to think. These home made bars feel very cumbersome and awkward. They do cut pretty well in the right circumstances but I've got to get something else.

George Guadiane
10-03-2009, 3:59 AM
Yep Bernie, that's what I was beginning to think. These home made bars feel very cumbersome and awkward. They do cut pretty well in the right circumstances but I've got to get something else.

The Rolly Munro articulated hollowers are the most versatile, though a bit expensive. I absolutely LOVE them! I have three and am considering getting a second small one with the thinner shaft so that I can hollow through half inch holes.

Ryan Baker
10-03-2009, 3:24 PM
George -- Craft Supplies has the mini Munro tools on closeout special now ... FYI.

Tools like the Munro and similar are very nice tools, but they are also very expensive and not a good thing (IMO) to try when just starting to hollow. I would recommend leaving those tools for later.

A typical swan neck tool is the place to start. There are a lot of options on the market to choose from, or you can make your own if you want to try. If you are looking to purchase a set, I agree that the Don Pencil Scorpion/Stinger set is a good choice (I also have the set). It is a lower-cost version of the Dennis Stewart system. Again, there are a variety of them on the market and you can make your own with a few tools and a little skill.

Hollowing is a deep vortex all of its own.

George Guadiane
10-03-2009, 8:51 PM
George -- Craft Supplies has the mini Munro tools on closeout special now ... FYI.

Tools like the Munro and similar are very nice tools, but they are also very expensive and not a good thing (IMO) to try when just starting to hollow. I would recommend leaving those tools for later.

A typical swan neck tool is the place to start. There are a lot of options on the market to choose from, or you can make your own if you want to try. If you are looking to purchase a set, I agree that the Don Pencil Scorpion/Stinger set is a good choice (I also have the set). It is a lower-cost version of the Dennis Stewart system. Again, there are a variety of them on the market and you can make your own with a few tools and a little skill.

Hollowing is a deep vortex all of its own.

Ryan,
Thanks for the heads up on the sale.
I had tried hollowing for a brief time with other tools and met with some success, but IMO, getting right to the Munro tool (or whatever you are going to use "for the rest of your life") was fortunate for me. It DOES have a learning curve, but Rolly was helpful in emails, and Paul Petrie and others who used it cut my difficulties down in a hurry.
Again, IMO, finding the "right" tool and buying good once is less expensive in the long run... Especially if you are going to get another ("better") tool later.
The other option might be making forms that will allow for the use of the tools that one has on hand or can make without a great deal of expense.

I have been VERY fortunate, of late, in terms of my finances, as erlates to wood turning - I actually MAD a little money from turning, and SWMBO allowed me to pick up some carefully select, well needed tools. Like most of the guys I know, I wish that when I had started, I had known what I know now. I could have saved myself a few hundred dollars on tools that sit in the rack and/or purchased tools that I now know will serve me better.

Last sales pitch, the articulated head on the Munro hollower (especially with an extra link) would allow most turners to hollow almost any shape effectively (IMO)

Leo Van Der Loo
10-03-2009, 9:06 PM
Alan I made a swan-neck hollower and put a swivel-head tool-bit holder on it, it is pretty simple to make and you can get in very hard to reach corners with it.

The tool-bit holder I made from a slice of a round shaft and drilled the holes for the bolt and for the tool-bit in it , you can cut a corner out to start the drilling for the tool-bit, I just ground a shoulder so I could start the drill without sliding off, I also countersunk the bolt hole for a recessed head, do what will suits you and the material you have on hand

Thomas Canfield
10-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Alan,
Took the camera to the shop and made the following pics.

The one shows the Don Pencil Scorpion and Stinger bars without the handle. The other shows the Kelton hollowing tools (2 +1 in handle) and Hasalouk handle I recently won ( and forgot about) and the homemade hollowing tools (5 with homemade handles) that members in the local turning club made (about $10 for materials and gas). For a small opening, the single tool or gooseneck works best for me to get down in the small opening. The ones with a replaceable too tips require a larger opening. The good thing about small openings is that they are normally only on smaller pieces or drilled and the internal hollowing is not as critical or subject to internal inspection.

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2009, 10:14 PM

If I were going to get a hand held system I have and would look seriously at Don Pencils Stinger and Scorpion. You can get the blemished ones which the one I saw you could tell a thing was wrong but Don wasn't happy with it so he sells them at a bargin.

Alan Tolchinsky
10-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Well I got a Sorby swan neck tool and used it for awhile. It was cutting pretty well at the beginning but I changed the angle on it and that was it. I couldn't get it to work anymore. I've read in the archives people have trouble with it. I'm just noticing my elbow is hurting so maybe this is not the way for me to go. Thanks again for all the good info.

Alan Tolchinsky
10-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Alan I made a swan-neck hollower and put a swivel-head tool-bit holder on it, it is pretty simple to make and you can get in very hard to reach corners with it.

The tool-bit holder I made from a slice of a round shaft and drilled the holes for the bolt and for the tool-bit in it , you can cut a corner out to start the drilling for the tool-bit, I just ground a shoulder so I could start the drill without sliding off, I also countersunk the bolt hole for a recessed head, do what will suits you and the material you have on hand

Hi Leo, Great job on making those tools. Your swan neck tool looks a lot like the Sorby I just bought. I'm assuming your works well for you. I'm still learning how mine works. Thanks for the pics and info. Alan

Leo Van Der Loo
10-04-2009, 1:07 AM
Yes works just fine Alan, I didn't copy a particular tool, but just made it to what I have seen on the net, I think mine is a little heavier than most, made it from a 3/4" shaft I had lying around, I do think that the captured hollowing tools are the easiest to use, even an outrigger will help some, still not a bad tool, just take your time and be safe :-)

neil mackay
10-04-2009, 9:26 AM
Your biggest problem is the size and shape of your shafts.If get some 3/4 or 1" round bar and make new hollowing tools, you should not have any problems

I have had no problems in hollowing with my 3/4" bars although I have fitted a right angle grip. This makes it easier to deal with rotational forces,especially if your using this type for a while.

Alan Tolchinsky
10-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Those are some serious looking tools Neil. How did you shape the end? Whast did you use? I agree, the size and shape of my home made tools is the problem. I'm not really set up to do much metal working and don't have the experience.