PDA

View Full Version : Question about table top belt/disk sanders

Louis Brandt
10-02-2009, 3:06 PM
Hello,

I've been looking at table top belt/disk sanders. I've seen a Craftsman model for about $129, and I've looked at a couple at the Borgs (don't remember the brands), and there's one at Harbor Freight with coupon for $49.99 (regular $89.99) that looks almost exactly like the Craftsman model.

My question is, are these table top sanders pretty good for general work? Can you change belts on them easily? And what do you use them for mostly, edge sanding, etc.?

Thanks,
Louis

Jason White
10-02-2009, 4:06 PM
I just got the RIDGID spindle sander/belt sander combo and love it! Great reviews in the magazines, too. Also not too expensive -- around $200 at Home Depot.

Jason

Chris Tsutsui
10-02-2009, 4:15 PM
I don't use my sander too much. I have a Delta 9" disc + 6" belt combo machine.

I use the disc sander more than the belt.

I'd say generally the belt is used to "fix" issues, rather than act as a tool to build something. My belt is agressive and can mess things up if you're not careful.

The only time I will use a disc sander is perhaps scarf joints on small pieces of wood using a jig. Other than that... If I'm touching up an edge I will just use hand tools.

glenn bradley
10-02-2009, 6:17 PM
I have a C-man that has served me very well up until I added the Ridgid OSS. I haven't used it since poor little guy.

Jeff Willard
10-02-2009, 9:27 PM
Only use my belt sander gets is for shaping pistol grips. It does that great though.