PDA

View Full Version : Power Tool Table Tops

Tom Winship
10-02-2009, 1:22 PM
I learned about using Bar Keeper's Friend and WD-40 in a slurry on this site several months ago. Seemed as if there was the most popular choice, followed by a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax. I'm sure many have already discovered this, but I find that 3M Scotch Brite Pads are excellent for scrubbing the slurry. They don't become "gummed up" as rags do.
It's a little more aggressive, but I don't think damaging.

Matt Benton
10-02-2009, 1:36 PM
I use my ROS with 220 grit, so I wouldn't worry about the 3M pads...

Karl Brogger
10-02-2009, 2:46 PM
steel wool with metal polish works pretty awesome as well.

I started using just straight parafinn wax on my surfaces, pain to rub in and out, but it seems to be holding up pretty well, and stays slippery for quite a while.

Bruce Wrenn
10-03-2009, 10:59 PM
I started using just straight parafinn wax on my surfaces, pain to rub in and out, but it seems to be holding up pretty well, and stays slippery for quite a while.Try using a kitchen grated to shave some paraffin into a small container of low odor mineral spirits. It will desolve in a couple of days. Put this mixture into a spray bottle, and then spray on tops. Let MS evaporate, and then buff out.

Brad Westcott
10-04-2009, 2:36 AM
steel wool with metal polish works pretty awesome as well.

I started using just straight parafinn wax on my surfaces, pain to rub in and out, but it seems to be holding up pretty well, and stays slippery for quite a while.

+1 on the steel wool. Penetrant oil is also used.

I just use the same Carnuba wax that I use on the cars.