PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor "Intercooler" Question

Bill Arnold
10-02-2009, 8:58 AM
After reading about this in another thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1218653&postcount=19), I want to try it. I'm interested in adding an intercooler to my air compressor to reduce moisture before the air gets to the tank. I'll use a transmission oil cooler that comes with reinforced rubber hose to use for attaching it to an automobile cooling system. Since the hose is rated for temperatures encountered with transmission oil, will it be safe to use for the line from the compressor pump to the cooler?

Paul Ryan
10-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Temperature wouldn't be my concern, pressure would be. Just make sure the pressure rating on the hose is at least 200 psi. If those hoses came with the cooler they should be rated for that, if not buy different hoses. Personally I would want hose pressure ratings to be in the 500 psi range for air compressor application. The temperature of the oil going to the cooler wont be much over 200 when used in a auto situation. I am not sure the temperature of air being compressed, but I really doubt it would excede 200 degrees.

Matt Meiser
10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
I've seen photos of one made from copper tubing wound around a 5 gallon bucket as a form.

Not sure what the pressures in a trans cooler loop are. Aren't they on the suction side of the pump?

Art Kelly
10-02-2009, 12:33 PM
If the cooler tubing is sweat-soldered copper, you should be good to go.

Check this: http://www.copper.org/Applications/plumbing/techref/cth/tables/cth_table3a.html

Best if you put an automatic drain right after the cooler. Parker-Hannifin (no affiliation) makes good ones.

Go here: http://www.parker.com/literature/Literature%20Files/ParkerStore/Catalog/Filter_Regulators_Lubs.pdf and scroll down to the 05F series and pick the one with a metal bowl to have a maximum working pressure of 250 PSIG.

It completely takes care of itself, letting out a little water every time a pressure pulse comes along--like if you're using a blow gun. Just put it somewhere low and make sure whatever is under it is OK if it gets wet. I use one on my truck air system--been there for years.

Art

Marty Paulus
10-02-2009, 1:34 PM
From the looks of that rig I just may work. The scary part is the welding of the brackets to the tank. I am not sure I would want to risk that. I can see the material getting hard and not expanding like the rest of the tank and a crack developing.

Art Kelly
10-02-2009, 4:40 PM
The only welding I'd ever do to an air tank would be with JB Weld. Remove the paint with paint remover or hand sand.

Lotta potential energy in a 30-gallon tank pressurized to 150 PSI.:eek: Scary stuff. Hope you're using a tank-bottom drain also as you really don't want water there unless it's stainless steel.

Art

Bill Arnold
10-02-2009, 5:06 PM
No welding involved in my project.

My 60gal air compressor sits under the stairs to the loft in my shop building. I'll attach the cooling coil and other components to a pair of wooden brackets mounted to the underside of the stairs. The only contact with the tank will be the 3/8" copper tube from the cooler.

I ran into more trouble than I thought trying to find the right flux to solder the copper tubing to the aluminum cooling core locally. I'll have to order it online. A minor delay but I have plenty of other stuff to keep me busy!

Larry Edgerton
10-02-2009, 7:02 PM
Trans coolers run under very little pressure, I would look for a better source. I'm thinking.......

And it hurts!

bob hertle
10-02-2009, 8:21 PM
This is really an aftercooler--not an intercooler. An intercooler is placed between the stages of a two-stage compressor to remove part of the heat of compression from the first stage. I've never seen a two-stage without one. That said, an aftercooler can remove quite a bit of moisture from the air, but pretty good results can be obtained just with iron piping and conscientious manual or automatic draining. TIP used to have a good piping plan in their catalog, but I'm sure there are other sources online.

Bob

Bill Arnold
10-02-2009, 8:45 PM
Trans coolers run under very little pressure, I would look for a better source. I'm thinking.......

And it hurts!
The unit I have has a 300PSI rating.

Kevin L. Pauba
10-02-2009, 9:00 PM
How 'bout a A/C condenser coil? I think the low side is typically around 100 psi and high side at 250 psi.

Art Kelly
10-17-2009, 1:38 PM
Best if you put an automatic drain right after the cooler.

Was browsing the NAPA catalog while waiting for parts the other day, and saw their automatic airline drain. It's part number 82-166.

NAPAs are easier to find than Parker-Hannifins.

Art

Paul Meiners
10-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Bill go to the link below, read my post under pcmeiners, I rigged both an intercooler and after cooler, listed some parts. For a really good after cooler, an Allison DB 1290 with some method of water removal before air hits tank.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=556788#post556788