PDA

View Full Version : Sears big into woodworking?

Steve Southwood
10-02-2009, 8:57 AM
Is Sears planning to get big in woodworking again? My new Christmas tools catalog has them adding Woodpeckers to the mix. Rikon, Sjobergs, Earlex and Scheppach as well.

Strange thing is that the router tables from Woodpeckers will only accept Craftsman routers:D

Chris Damm
10-02-2009, 9:01 AM
Who cares? I've always found that if Sears sells it, you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Scott T Smith
10-02-2009, 4:42 PM
I like buying from Sears, when I can. Just about all of my appliances come from there - whether they are Kenmore brand or not.

Here's why. When the US Govt called up reservists to deploy overseas, Federal Law stipulated that the companies that they worked for at the time had to make up the difference between their military and civilian pay for a specified amount of time, and after that time had passed, the company was not longer obligated to pay the difference.

Sears opted to adopt a policy to pay the difference until the employee was able to return to work - going above and beyond the requirements of the law.

I like that, and have opted to show my thanks by giving them my business.

I don't purchase many pieces of craftsman equipment, because typically I'm interested in a more commercial or industrial duty tool. But I'll buy other things from Sears when I can.

John Pratt
10-02-2009, 5:51 PM
[QUOTE=Scott T Smith;1226787]

Here's why. When the US Govt called up reservists to deploy overseas, Federal Law stipulated that the companies that they worked for at the time had to make up the difference between their military and civilian pay for a specified amount of time, and after that time had passed, the company was not longer obligated to pay the difference.

QUOTE]
First let me say sorry for the hijack, but....

I applaud Sears and a number of other companies who did the same thing for Reservist and Guardsman while they were called up to active duty or deployed. However....I have a problem with the the whole concept of making up for lost wages while called to active duty. I think Reservist and Guardsman need to assume some of the risk in loss of wages while called up to active duty, they did in fact sign up. You cant have all the benefits and none of the drawbacks. What do you tell the soldier of the same rank in the foxhole next door who is receiving less money at the same rank, but on active duty. The Reservist, when the tour is done, is going back to a career while the active duty soldier continues to struggle along on his active duty pay. Some would say, "well then get out...start a career", I say they also signed up willingly and are fulfilling their committment.

Sorry for the rant, and this does not apply to all, but I tend to feel strongly about this topic. Especially those who take the kings money, but when called, refuse to do the kings bidding. "what, you want me to deploy, I didn't sign up for that....."