PDA

View Full Version : Which sawzall should I buy?

dennis thompson
10-02-2009, 7:20 AM
I need a corded sawzall for yardwork. My cordless is not powerful enough.
Any suggestion which make & model I should buy?
Thanks
Dennis

Russ Boyd
10-02-2009, 7:29 AM
I've had a porter cable for years and use it regularly. Hasn't failed me yet. That being said...it doesn't have a button to keep the power on if I need a two handed/not on the trigger operation. Only occasionally does that become a problem. Just Something to look out for.

Matt Meiser
10-02-2009, 7:48 AM
I've used my Craftsman ("Professional" series from the mid-90's) for that several times. The blade makes a huge difference. I just got a cordless Milwaukee which I think will probably meet most of my needs since I also got a decent chainsaw last year. One thing I like about the Milwaukee is the quick-change blade mechanism.

Personally, I'd shop around, hold a few, and buy the one that feels the best in your hands at a price you like.

Larry Edgerton
10-02-2009, 7:53 AM
A Jonsered

John Terefenko
10-02-2009, 8:18 AM
I own the Milwakee but have used the Dewalt alot and highly recomend the Dewalt. Easy blade changinging and accurate with a nice feature of a light on it.

Jeremy Brant
10-02-2009, 8:36 AM
Milwaukee super sawzall. 5 year warranty and it will stand up to any abuse you give it.

Quinn McCarthy
10-02-2009, 9:06 AM
I have a dewalt that I really like. I have used Milwaukee and porter cable and they are good saws too.

Hope that helps.

Quinn

John Thompson
10-02-2009, 9:22 AM
I've used a DW for years but.. if it ever goes down I'm headed to Milwaukee for sure. :) I cannot complain on the DW but I have gotten excellent results with Milwaukee routers and their new ROS is great.

Dave Sweeney
10-02-2009, 9:26 AM
Yard work is pretty mild stuff for a reciprocating saw so I'd just look for one with the longest stroke and highest amp rating in the price range you want to spend. You can't beat Milwaukee when it comes to reciprocating saws but I'm not sure you really need their quality level for trimming trees and bushes.

phil harold
10-02-2009, 9:37 AM
Milwaukee and Porter Cable with orbital action are top performers

Lennox Blades are awsome, they also have a prunning blade

I recently had to buy another saw for a job I bought a Wrox
It was on sale for 50 bucks and have to say I am impressed with it

so now I have three 2 milwaukees and one wrox
one of the milwaukees is over twenty years old and a weekly/daily user

Randal Stevenson
10-02-2009, 9:37 AM
I own three. A Dewalt (one originally purchased), a Milwaukee and a Makita (both inherited). Out of all of them, the Makita is the one I would most avoid new. I see them on my local CL from time to time (picked one up for a friend a few years back), and they seem to go for $15-$30 (always seem to find the low end). It seems well built, except I don't like the slick rubber grip on the end of it. (personal preference) My Dewalt grips better there.

David G Baker
10-02-2009, 9:39 AM
Another vote for Milwaukee Super Sawzall. The vibration damper is a real plus as well as the ease at changing blades, the swivel handle and a few other things that I have forgotten. It may cost more but it is worth it in my opinion.
If you want it exclusively for yard work you may want to consider an electric chain saw, it will more than likely work better on branches, etc, no idea on brand recommendation.

Ben Franz
10-02-2009, 1:28 PM
Another Milwaukee Super Sawzall vote here. As a remodelling contractor I put a lot of miles on these tools. This one is hands down the best (IMO) and holds up well. Can usually be repaired when it finally gives out. More money than the others but worth it for any serious use.

Michael Schapansky
10-02-2009, 3:14 PM
I just received the Super Sawzall for my birthday after wearing out a Makita. This is a serious tool! Cuts through anything and wants more. The rotating head is handy and I really like the QD cord. I can easily swap the saw for my Milwaukee drill without having to find the end of the extension cord. Handy!

Dave Mura
10-02-2009, 3:36 PM
I'd probably go with Milwaukee

Byron Trantham
10-02-2009, 3:37 PM
I opted for the Milwaukee. I is one heck of a saw. I bout it for yard work and haven't regretted it one bit. :D

Doug Arndt
10-02-2009, 4:20 PM
When looking for a saw, i stopped at a borg, and the salesman picked up a Milwaukee, held it at arms length, straight out, then turned it on. Then we did that with a few others. I later bought the Milwaukee.

sean m. titmas
10-02-2009, 4:20 PM
For heavy duty work i use the Hilti WSR 1400 (http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-21473) but it is a two handed beast that is so powerful that it has a soft start switch so as not to rip your arm out of its socket when you turn it on. I nick named it the "widow maker" becqause the first time i was using it to cut a post out from under a header at about waist level when the blade got bound up on the post when the full weight of the header pinched the blade and slammed the handle into my groin so hard it made me turn white.

For light weight work i use the Dewalt DW304PK (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=8339). The nice feature about this saw is the 4 position head. it allows the blade to be used regular style and also flush against the side to make flush cuts. All things considered it is a great saw and well worth the money.

JohnMorgan of Lititz
10-02-2009, 4:24 PM
I've had the Milwaukee Super Sawzall for several years - its been lent out to friends, used, abused, dropped and works like a champ.

Watch what model you buy - I always "go for the gusto" and buy the most powerful model - I know a few years back they had several models. The "Super sawzall" was the 10 amp motor i believe. It also has variable trigger speed as well as a dial for 1-5.

The dial is EXTREMELY nice since it lets you cut the speed of the motor and still hold a tight grip and fully squeeze the trigger...works wonderfully.

Plus, the blades are available everywhere - doesn't DW have their own shank style?

Adam Strong
10-02-2009, 4:26 PM
My Dewalt 18v XRP has yet to find any problem. Quick blade changes and has plenty of power. If you must go corded, I would vote Milwaukee.

Rich Engelhardt
10-02-2009, 4:42 PM
Hello,
I use an electric chain saw for yard work.
I paid ~ $50.00 for a 14" Remington @ the borg.

Not as glamerous as a sawzall, but it gets the job done & from what I've see doing the same things w/my 13.5amp Bosch - a lot faster.

Watch what model you buy - I always "go for the gusto" and buy the most powerful model - I know a few years back they had several models. The "Super sawzall" was the 10 amp motor i believe.
The Super is & from what I remember, the full 15 amp.
The regular Sawzall is lower amperage - 10 to 12.

One problem with full 15 amp tools is running them on extension cords.
You need 12 ga or heavier for the 15 amp tools.
IIRC, even w/12 ga cords, you're limited to 25 feet. <<- I may be wrong here, it may be 50 feet.

JohnMorgan of Lititz
10-02-2009, 5:00 PM
Hello,
I use an electric chain saw for yard work.
I paid ~ $50.00 for a 14" Remington @ the borg.

Not as glamerous as a sawzall, but it gets the job done & from what I've see doing the same things w/my 13.5amp Bosch - a lot faster.

The Super is & from what I remember, the full 15 amp.
The regular Sawzall is lower amperage - 10 to 12.

One problem with full 15 amp tools is running them on extension cords.
You need 12 ga or heavier for the 15 amp tools.
IIRC, even w/12 ga cords, you're limited to 25 feet. <<- I may be wrong here, it may be 50 feet.

Hey, you're probably right, Rich. It's been too many years since I did the research before buying and have forgotten the amps on the motor. It's for sure the Super though, she's a beast of a tool!!!

As for length of extension cords...i think its 50' on the 12ga.

dennis thompson
10-02-2009, 6:31 PM
Based on Matts advice I went to Home Depot & tried the Dewalt & the Milwaukee. I wound up with the Dewalt because:
-I liked the feel of it

-it has a four position blade which seems like a good idea (quite possibly an option I'll never use, like many options on equipment I buy)

-the Dewalt rep was there & explained a lot about it to me...I realize he wouldn't be too objective but he was pretty helpful

Thanks for all the helpful advice
Dennis

sean m. titmas
10-02-2009, 7:00 PM
I wound up with the Dewalt because:
-I liked the feel of it

Welcome to the club ;)

Chris Damm
10-03-2009, 8:22 AM
There are a lot of reciprocating saws out there but only one is a Sawzall made by Milwaukee.

Gary Max
10-03-2009, 8:31 AM
Another vote for Craftsman "Professional"---- 10 years old and still running strong