PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Goods Storage under outfeed table?

Matt Armstrong
10-02-2009, 12:33 AM
I find my outfeed table is one of my most-utilized tables in my shop. I built the current version in a torsion box style so it's reasonably flat and semi large. Since I've convinced my wife to keep the cars out of the garage, I now can accomodate a much larger outfeed table. In doing so, I think I would like to incorporate a way to store sheet goods under the table. I like the idea of
a) storing sheet goods flat
b) not storing tools under the outfeed table (previous idea, did not work out so well)

Has anyone done this or have suggestions on a design or plan? If I made an outfeed table that was longer than 8' in a single dimension, I'm not sure how I'd create the outfeed table surface. I'm just a little lost here. Ideas?

Josiah Bartlett
10-02-2009, 2:33 AM
You can get plywood and mdf in larger than 4x8 sizes, or just use two pieces and bevel the joint so things don't catch on it.

I built a bridge out of 2x12's and 4x4 posts to store my sheet goods on. My 1950 Chevy pickup shares space with my tools. I just back the truck bed under the sheet goods bridge. Its not pretty but it gets the job done.

Larry Edgerton
10-02-2009, 6:57 AM
I like my sheet goods standing on edge. I have more room than most I realize, but my solution was a heavy welded cart on casters three foot wide with a wall in the center. The plywood is about a foot off of the ground so I do not have to bend over quite so far. as I said it is on wheels so I can move it around the shop as needed.

The advantage of vertical is that you can pull sheets out of the middle and not have to move things twice. Moving things to get to something else is inefficient, and I am getting old enough that moving plywood is just not as much fun as it used to be. With them vertical I can flip through them till I find what I want and pull it out. The floor of my cart is formica so they slide out easily.

Larry Edgerton
10-02-2009, 7:01 AM
. My 1950 Chevy pickup shares space with my tools. .

Ok, now I'm jealous! I have always had old trucks around but when the depression started here in Michigan the toys had to go, so my 56 Chevy Suburban went down the road. I will have another old truck one day though........