PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use your #5 & 5 1/2

Ron Petley
10-01-2009, 11:53 PM
I am wanting to build a cabinet on wheels for my tools. One with a slanted "shelf" on top to hold the planes. Some Neanders posted some photos of this style of cabinet and I thought it looked real trick.
I have a photo of most of my planes, which has increased since I have been under the influence of this forum. Some do not have the irons in them as I took them out to sharpen them.
I seemed, in the past, to be able to get by with a block plane and a bench plane, since it was all I had.
Now I want to use the other planes I have added to the roster. To this end I want to have them in the cabinet.
So I want to know how often you would use a #5 Stanley ( I have 2 of them), and a #5 1/2 Stanley. I also have in their a Record 04 1/2 if you care to comment on it as well.
My thinking is I want the most frequently used planes at easy reach but have not used them all enough to know which these are. Keeping in mind everybody has their own tastes their must be some general preferences.
Of course I was also thinking I should leave some room in the cabinet.
Cheers Ron.

David Gendron
10-02-2009, 1:10 AM
I think that the two 5 and the 5 1/2 would be the go to planes the more often... But it depend where you start using plane, if you do stock prep all the way to finish ready, it wold be different than if you only use your planes for finishing, edges prep for glueing, smoothing for finishing or chamfering and rounding over finished pieces! I like your Krenov style plane there, did you make that one? I just finished one and love it, it's the best plane I have, and I do have a few...

Jim Koepke
10-02-2009, 1:24 AM
My plane till in progress has a similar problem. Though there is room for two #4, 5 & 6s, since it was started, not only has a second #7 come along, two more #4 size planes have appeared. Maybe the answer is to have separate plane tills or a tool box for holding the spares. One of these days, maybe there will be enough spare planes to sell and buy an LN 7-1/2. Of course, that is just the bench planes. Have to come up with something for all the block planes and odd ball planes.

jim

Derek Cohen
10-02-2009, 1:38 AM
Hi Ron

I generally don't own duplicate planes. I have more than my share of planes, and these may duplicate tasks, but none are duplicates of themselves. However I do have two Stanley #5 1/2s. One is set up as a scrub plane, that is with a heavily cambered blade, and the other is set up as a traditional fore plane with a moderately cambered blade. The latter has now been replaced by a woodie I built purposefully for this task.

I keep planes in a cabinet to be used. All that may be used are in an accessible position. Any "spares" (if I had such) would be stored elsewhere.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ron Petley
10-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Derek, Yes I was thinking the same thing when I first bought the 5's, but as David noted, in the past with 2 planes were used only for finishing, edges prep for glueing, smoothing for finishing or chamfering and rounding over. I now have time to go to my workshop in the evening for some quiet woodworking which would be hand tools only.
Thanks for the right word, Plane Till.
I made the Kernov as a first plane project, it is a bevel down and a ramp of 45 degrees, Works better than I ever expected. It has a home made 3/8ths 01 blade. Which by some luck really hit the mark. I still have to sand the body some more and add a mosaic pin for good looks.
I have a second Krenov in the works with a steeper pitch, have not settled on the exact angle but somewhere in the ball park of 50 degrees.
Anyways back to the topic, you are getting me thinking I can build a seperate Plane till the same dimensions and have it not mounted on the cart with wheels. With a 2' square till I would have one more full slot for mew additions, which would fit 2 more small planes.
Derek you should still go visit with my mate Reg, as he is first rate when it comes to steel parts.
Thanks all for the thoughts.
Cheers Ron.

Joe Close
10-02-2009, 10:34 AM
My Bailey-5 gets used a lot, along w/ my LN-7. My #5 is setup w/ a pretty cambered iron and open mouth. I use it to hog off material. Then go to the #7. I guess everyone's methods are different. I think if I were you, I would build the plane till so that it is flexible enough to handle a number of different planes. You might find that as you use this and that, that your methods and pattern of usage will change w/ time. Or, build the plane till such that it can be removed and replaced w/ a different till configuration, if at some point the origional no longer meets your needs.

Derek Cohen
10-02-2009, 10:34 AM
I have a second Krenov in the works with a steeper pitch, have not settled on the exact angle but somewhere in the ball park of 50 degrees.

Hi Ron

On this point, since you already have a 45 degree (common pitch) version, then I recommend that the new plane be 55 or 60 degrees. There is insignificant difference between 45 and 50 degrees to warrant the latter.

Regards from Perth

Derek

scott spencer
10-02-2009, 12:15 PM
My Record 05-1/2 is my "go to" plane, then my block plane. My Record 04-1/2 gets a fair amount of playing time too, and have had to rearrange the storage cabinet so I can get at these easily.

Jim Koepke
10-02-2009, 1:47 PM
Hi Ron

I generally don't own duplicate planes. I have more than my share of planes, and these may duplicate tasks, but none are duplicates of themselves. However I do have two Stanley #5 1/2s. One is set up as a scrub plane, that is with a heavily cambered blade, and the other is set up as a traditional fore plane with a moderately cambered blade. The latter has now been replaced by a woodie I built purposefully for this task.

I keep planes in a cabinet to be used. All that may be used are in an accessible position. Any "spares" (if I had such) would be stored elsewhere.

Regards from Perth

Derek

When the duplicates are planned for in my group of planes it is so they can be set for different tasks. Usually one will be set with a tight mouth and one with a wide mouth. One will be set for thick shavings and one for very fine shavings.

The unplanned duplicates tend to collect when a deal comes my way that is just impossible to pass up. I think of it as a 401Plane program. In time, they will be sold to raise money to buy a premium plane like a bevel up joiner or a mitre plane.

jim

Ron Petley
10-03-2009, 4:10 PM
Jim, none of the purchases were planed, it is all hindsight, except the home brew woddie.
Derek, I will step it up to 55 degrees, thanks for the insights.
Cheers Ron.