PDA

View Full Version : Warped 12" Blade

Bernie Kopfer
10-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I have a 72 tooth Freud miter saw blade that is slightly warped. Don't remember what I did but it was probably something stupid. Found the blade at the bottom of my blade drawer and remembered that I wondered if it could be fixed. So before I ship it off I wonder if anyone else has had a warped blade and had it repaired. The warp can be seen if I lay a straight edge across the blade in one place and it shakes the ---- out of the miter saw.

Gary Breckenridge
10-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Remember those clocks that are made out of table saw blades ?
Well you now have the blade part and all you need is the clock part.;)
Call a pro sharpening shop and ask but I can't see how it can ever be made flat enough for no vibration or finish work.:cool:

Frank Drew
10-02-2009, 9:52 AM
Bernie,

Using a blade that's not true can be dangerous... kickbacks, etc., so if you can't get it fixed at a reasonable price, it would be best to chuck it.

Tom Walz
10-02-2009, 11:54 AM
A pro sharpening shop may be able to hammer it flat and true.

harry strasil
10-02-2009, 12:00 PM
saw mill blades are hammered for a specific rpm.

Bruce Wrenn
10-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Ship it to Dynamic Saw (dynamicsaw.com) in Buffalo NY Tell what to look for, and most likely they can fix it. Forrest can do the same, but for a whole lot more money.

Bernie Kopfer
10-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the info, I talked to Forrest, they would not try to straighten another manufacter's blade. Their policy and that's ok. Will maybe try Dynamic.:)

Brad Westcott
10-04-2009, 3:51 AM
Blade prices have come down so much over the years that sharpening or repairing them is the same as any other appliance now a days. Chuck it and buy a new one!!!

I picked up a Freud 80 tooth the other day for US$49 (10 inch).
If you were to sharpen the same blade at, lets say, 30 cents a tooth, it would cost you $25 to $30 minimum. If you have to replace a tooth or try to straighten it, forget it.