PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Professional 22124 Table Saw

Joe Wiliams
10-01-2009, 9:56 PM
I'm a wannabe-amateur-hobbyist looking for some advice...

I have a lead on a new Craftsman Professional 22124 Table Saw for $240.00. I have a Ryobi BT3000 which works okay and I would like to upgrade eventually but I still have other tools i'd like to purchase.

Currently own:
BT3000 TS
Delta compound miter saw
A couple routers
Router table (still in the box)
Rigid spindle/belt sander

Would like to get soon (with in about a year)- somewhat in order:
Band saw - probably 14"
Drill press - probably floor standing
Jointer
Planer

Dust collection will be purchased as soon as I decide which one:cool:

I don't really need a new TS yet but I like to pick up good deals when they show up;) I don't expect to do a whole lot of wood working over the winter due to my work schedule and i'm more of a fair weather person:rolleyes:

Space isn't too much of an issue, just finishing up building a 20x30 detached shop. It's going to be multi-purpose, about 2/3 will be for wood working and the rest for general use.

The reviews seem to be positive when it came out. Is it still a good saw compared to newer models for a hobbyist? I'm willing to pass and pay more if the newer models are quite a bit better but most likely in the sub $1k and closer to $600-$800 range.

Thoughts?

scott spencer
10-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Joe - The 22124 is a great saw and $240 is a big fat Christmas gift. I have a 22124 for 3-1/2 years and loved it, and I wasn't alone...it has a significant following. A nice deal on a 3hp Shop Fox cabinet saw convinced me to move the 22124, and the SF is a more substantial saw but I still miss some aspects of the 22124. The Biese fence is great. The 44" wide cast iron surface is great too. It accepts standard Delta inserts. The cabinet mounted trunnions are a snap to align, and DC is pretty good. With good alignment and a good thin kerf blade, there was nothing I struggled much to cut. I've had a BT3000 here...I never thought there was much comparison. The 22124 does not have a riving knife, but $240 is a steal, and you can add an aftermarket Bolt On Ripping Knife (http://shop.walnutacrewoodworking.com/category.sc;jsessionid=6F1DA8B534267715AFCB6A4BE3E BE88C.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=2) (************) that'll do nearly exactly what a true riving knife does.

At $240, it's not likely to stick around long.

Joe Wiliams
10-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for sharing your first hand experience:) My only concern is will I be wanting a better saw for a few $$ more because I have a bad habit of buying cheap then regretting it later:o

At $240, it's not likely to stick around long.
Notice I didn't say where?:p:D:p

Harold Burrell
10-01-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm a wannabe-amateur-hobbyist looking for some advice...

I have a lead on a new Craftsman Professional 22124 Table Saw for $240.00. I have a Ryobi BT3000 which works okay and I would like to upgrade eventually but I still have other tools i'd like to purchase.

I don't really need a new TS yet but I like to pick up good deals when they show up;) I don't expect to do a whole lot of wood working over the winter due to my work schedule and i'm more of a fair weather person:rolleyes:

I just recently upgraded my tablesaw from a $150 craftsman to an $800 grizzly. Did I "need" it? Not really. Do I regret it? No way!

Dude...not only are you going to upgade big-time, but you are getting a great deal to boot!

I am sooooo jealous...;)

Denny Rice
10-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Joe,

Just like Scott, I have had the zip code saw for a couple of years and have no complaints except I didn't get it on the cheap like you are being offered! This is a no-brainer at 240.00 you could unload it in a year or so and easily recoup all your money. This saw is a deal at the 400.00-500.00 dollar range. If there is a down side to the saw in my opinion is the lack of a riving knife, the dust collection could be better ( I removed the standard 4" and hard piped mine with 6" PVC) and I hated the blade guard. Mine was on the saw for one day and it was removed, but if you can get past these 3 things its a quality saw and worth every dime.

Greg Peterson
10-01-2009, 11:38 PM
You can't even buy a decent contractor saw for $240. There should be no question as to whether or not you should buy this saw.

glenn bradley
10-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Double that price is a great deal for that saw. When I got mine during a sale plus Craftsman Club discount it was more than that. I figured I was buying the fence, motor and the blade (Lietz) and the rest of the saw was free. I have been very happy with it over the years. I would imagine you have already waited too long at that price. If it is still available I will be very surprised.

Joe Wiliams
10-02-2009, 12:15 AM
I guess the consensus is to buy it:p

First saw it a couple days ago, hopefully it's still there Friday after work:)

Bob Carreiro
10-02-2009, 12:18 AM
I, too, upgraded from the BT300 to the 22124! That's amazing! You're gonna love it! Occasionally though, I have missed the sliding table. I paid $600 for mine. You're getting a great deal!

Good luck,
Bob

Joe Wiliams
10-02-2009, 9:36 PM
Missed out on that deal.:(

It was at the Lloyd Center Sears in Portland Oregon through the searsoutlet.com web site. They have some pretty good deals, put in your zip code and it will list all the close out products in the stores you select.

Next time maybe I wont hesitate so much....;)

Greg Peterson
10-03-2009, 9:42 AM
It is a good thing you didn't mention it's location. I would have bought it immediately.

Joe Wiliams
10-04-2009, 10:21 PM
The Albany location has a reconditioned unit for $779.93 ...

http://www.searsoutlet.com/10-in-Table-Saw/d/product_details.jsp?md=ct_md&cid=98&pn=1&ps=10&pid=9200

Denny Rice
10-04-2009, 10:39 PM

http://www.searsoutlet.com/10-in-Table-Saw/d/product_details.jsp?md=ct_md&cid=98&pn=1&ps=10&pid=9200

I think 779.00 seems a little high for a re-conditioned unit. I've seen guys purchase this saw new for less than this with the sale price and Craftsman Club discount. I think you could get the Steel City hybrid for around that range, and it comes standard with a 5 year warranty not Craftsman 1 yr.

Joe Wiliams
10-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I think 779.00 seems a little high for a re-conditioned unit. I've seen guys purchase this saw new for less than this with the sale price and Craftsman Club discount. I think you could get the Steel City hybrid for around that range, and it comes standard with a 5 year warranty not Craftsman 1 yr.
Yeah, I thought it is too high also. I'm in no hurry since I have a functioning saw but if that awesome deal comes along....;)

Bruce Wrenn
10-06-2009, 10:32 PM

http://www.searsoutlet.com/10-in-Table-Saw/d/product_details.jsp?md=ct_md&cid=98&pn=1&ps=10&pid=9200Sounds like the floor model.

Larry Rasmussen
10-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Well, I actually didn't look at the very one. I followed the instructions in this thread and lo and behold a floor model in Silverdale, WA for $239.93. There is another one over there for 839.93. Silverdale is a regular store, not an outlet but the search function is set up to locate floor models also. They won't move it around at all for you from store to store or ship to your house. I spoke to the guy at the outlet store in my local Sears and he didn't think the deal was too unusual. I went over to the regular tool dept and looked at a # 22124 just to get an up close look-see. It was on sale. Marked down from $1,150 to $1,050! I stood there an looked at the biesermeyer fence with the wheels spinning in my brain but ultimately between my current long days at work, borrowing the pickup, waiting for the Ferry, driving down the peninsula it just didn't ad up.

I might take a peek at that section once in a while though. Sears is closing out a 20" planer model for $500 but there is a gotcha shipping of about the same amount. Now if one came up on the outlet list- that would be interesting.

Regards,
Larry R.
Seattle

Kev Godwin
10-07-2009, 12:25 AM
I also made the transition from the BT3000 to the C-man 22124. It was a good change for me and one of my friends has that Ryobi still going strong. I took the time to modify the shims to take care of that chronic problem. I sure don't miss the scream of that universal motor on the BT3000.:eek:

I use the factory splitter on the 22124 but I cut off the plastic guard that caused more problems than offered protection. Now it functions like an after-market merlin splitter.

I'm only a weekend woodwork warrior and that 22124 meets all of my needs. Very happy with it.
Kev

Joe Wiliams
10-07-2009, 12:48 AM
The price is at the Albany location is now $719.93. Still not worth it for me at this time.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-07-2009, 6:16 AM
For $240 that saw is a steal, if you don't buy it let me know where I can find it so I can get it and set it up as a dedicated dado saw!