PDA

View Full Version : A little about me(A little Wordish)

mickey cassiba
10-01-2009, 8:42 PM
I'd like to set the record straight.
In the short time I've been posting at the Creek, some may have noticed that I've a lot to say about Delta and PC tools. That's because they are the only wood working tools I know anything about. I'm not trying to bash or flame PC, Delta or their relatively new parent B&D. I just know the tools, inside and out. I started at PC in the '90s as a production machinist, and went through all phases of their operation, finally landing in the re-conditioning operation. There I got hands on with every tool, jig and accessory that was produced and or marketed, foreign and domestic, by PC and Delta. After the buy out from Pentair, I elected to stay with the operation, and was involved in the moving, set up and daily operation of the Delta Industrial Reconditioning operation in McAllen Texas. I trained the new generation of D.I. re-conditioning techs and was responsible for the day to day operation of the shop which included All of the industrial Delta machinery, the large DeVillbis compressors and Flex Stone and metal working tools.
The remainder of the tools were shipped to our sister operation in Mexico where the PC, Little Delta(benchtops) and small compressors and pressure washers were either reconditioned or scrapped.
During my years at PC/Delta, and later B&D, I participated in employee purchase programs, and (with permission, I must emphasize) built many of the tools in my collection with an eye towards my eventual retirement.
I have been fascinated with wood working since my first shop class in the seventh grade, and have always tried, somewhat unsuccessfully, to find employment in the"trades". I was privileged to work with master carpenters in San Francisco restoring the "Old Vics" to their earlier glory.
I was in heaven then though often told to quit asking questions and "go get me" this or that.
After my time in the Army, I re-entered construction in the mundane fields of framing and roofing, and later trim work and house finishing.
Great money in the housing boom of the seventies and eighties but little in the way of benefits.
When I finally settled into family life I realized that a traveling carpenter(journeyman?) could not adequately provide the needs of a family, insurance, stable home, etc. and in the mid-south of the time the only place to do so was in the "factories".
I dabbled in metal working first as a production operator and later as a specialty machinist in a gear and machine company.
Now as I near the end of my career, if it can be called that, I am the (nearest thing to, without any degree or formal education) plant engineer for a mid sized wood moulding and casement company.
Full Circle!
At times I post replies to threads, concerning machinery, speaking from experience. At others, I ask questions that must seem hopelessly naive.
With the former I am trying to pay for information that I request of you folks.
I'm proud to have found this group, and proud as well to call myself a member. I only hope that I can give back half as much as I have received(and yes, I have sent a donation to the creek, waiting for the check to clear as I write).
Thanks for reading, don't judge me harshly if, at times, I come off as a smart-***. Can't help it ! I am.! And likewise if I ask a question that your eight year old nephew could answer, look on me kindly. I'm trying to learn. It's my hobby, learning, and I intend to do it as long as I can.
Thanks for having me over, hope we can visit frequently
Mickey Cassiba
Almost a Renaissance Man

Ken Fitzgerald
10-01-2009, 9:09 PM
Nice to know more about you Mickey. I was stationed at Kingsville for 14 months in the mid-70's.

mickey cassiba
10-01-2009, 9:24 PM
Thanks Ken. We've been here in Mission for about three years now and I love it. No more cold winters(Though it snowed the month before we moved, Almost kyboshed the whole deal!!!) I guess we're here for the duration. Most folks travel when they retire, but heck I've been traveling all my life. Time to put down roots.

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2009, 9:30 PM
Mickey - Welcome!

Never hesitate to ask questions here - we are all learning and chances are there would be a number of folks with the same question - they just didn't post it.

mickey cassiba
10-01-2009, 9:46 PM
Mickey - Welcome!

Never hesitate to ask questions here - we are all learning and chances are there would be a number of folks with the same question - they just didn't post it.
Steve, thanks. I will never hesitate to ask a question, sometimes more than once. Pop called it "thick-headed" but I like to really understand things.
In that vein, be prepared for lots of questions as I get the equipment assembled and set up.
I mean LOTS!
The pieces you folks show on here always make me sit back and stare. I had someones hollow form as a wallpaper for quite some time back when I was lurking in the wings. Just so I could try to figure out how it was done.
Get used to me. I'm here 'til you show me the door!

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2009, 9:58 PM
Mickey - the one thing I really like about this place is the human interaction. We don't have a drop-down list of the 500 most frequently asked questions when it comes to tools, wood or whatever and that makes all the difference in the world. Really cool thing is when someone asks a question - 10 to 15 folks answer it - in their own way and one of those answers rings home with the original poster.

Like I said before - we are all learning here. Lots of the folks who I looked up to when I first started turning are now my friends. Everyone shares what they know, what they like and what they think would be an improvement. It is up to you to figure out what works for you!

Also, there are a number of us that have been here for a little while and when we started - we asked questions - lots of questions! Then as we gained experience - we started being the ones answering the questions. Its fun - the more you participate - the more you learn. Then you can help answer the questions from the folks just starting out!

Have fun with it!

Gregg Feldstone
10-23-2009, 2:48 AM
Hi Mickey,
I'm just up the road from you in Port Aransas. We like to head down to S. Padre once in a while for cleaner water and whiter beaches. Do I understand correctly that you were able to personally build many of your PC, Detla and DeWalt tools, or did you do the refurbishing yourself?
If so, did you ever make them "better than new", and if so, how? Welcome to the Creek, Gregg

mickey cassiba
10-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi Mickey,
I'm just up the road from you in Port Aransas. We like to head down to S. Padre once in a while for cleaner water and whiter beaches. Do I understand correctly that you were able to personally build many of your PC, Detla and DeWalt tools, or did you do the refurbishing yourself?
If so, did you ever make them "better than new", and if so, how? Welcome to the Creek, Gregg
Hi Gregg.
I did indeed build my own machinery, from scrapped warranty returns. Some returns were not "economically viable" for the refurbishing process.
Most of my tools have "mickeymade" modifications like more powerful motors, or in the case of my band saw(originally a 28-206) step pulleys, and carter guides as well as hand made trunnions for the table. As to making them "better" I simply noted the most common cause for return on a model or type that I was interested in, and replaced (or in some cases) made my own parts.
I was able to buy the original scrapped tools at the prevailing scrap metal prices, sometimes two or three machines were required to build one functional unit. My table saw started out as a 36-441B RT and has just now started progressing into a finished tool. I plan on some serious modifications with this one.
When I had a part that I could not make( mostly motors) I purchased the best I could find and afford at the time. Not always OEM, but same frame and rpm.
When PC/Delta was still owned by Pentair, I got a hefty discount on parts, not so much when B&D took over.
I've just recently started unpacking and assembling my tools. they've been in storage for several years, but with my reduced work schedule, I have lots of time to "tinker".
Of course having access to Grainger and other industrial supply houses, as well as an understanding employer, gives me the means to get parts that you just can't get at napa or the local hardware.
I'll start posting pictures of the machines as I get them up and going, now that I've found the problem with my computer.
Currently on the bench is a Midi Lathe which was assembled from eight different machines. I'm considering replaceing the motor/step pulley arrangment with the new variable speed motor, but I haven't got a chance to eyeball one yet. I have friends at the DeWalt service center here in town, and they promised that if one came in for service, they'd call me.
Sorry about the mini book...I tend to run on when talking about tools in general and mine specifically.
'preciate the welcome,
Mickey