PDA

View Full Version : Monday Night Football Vikes vs Packers

Paul Ryan
10-01-2009, 7:33 PM
Apparently this game maybe the most watched regular season game in the history of the NFL. ABC, parent company, of ESPN the broadcaster of Monday Night Football, has postponed all of their regular programing ie. Dancing with the Stars. Since ESPN is a cable channel they felt that not everyone than wants to see the game could due to that. So the game will be shown on ABC and ESPN.

Hopefully it isn't much of a game and the Purple blow out the packers and Favre can be sat at halftime. GO VIKINGS.

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2009, 7:55 PM
Personally - I hope the Pack sets a new world record for number of times they sack Favre! Something about paybacks....

No matter who wins - should be an interesting game!

ROY DICK
10-01-2009, 9:03 PM
I just can't make up my mind.

Roy

Mark Hix
10-01-2009, 9:05 PM
Already got the snacks! Should be fun to watch.

Rick Moyer
10-01-2009, 9:19 PM
Lifelong PA resident and Vikings fan! All they needed at QB was someone who could complete 67% of his passes and not turn the ball over. Let's hope he doesn't throw as many INT's as has been his wont. Unfortunately we'll have to go thru the same waffling the Packers have had to put up with over the last few years probably, but I'm finally optimistic again about the Vikes.
You folks on the west coast have no idea how we on the east coast get screwed when it comes to watching (late night) sports. I get up by 5:00am and Moday Night Football isn't usually over until midnight, or after. Most games I don't even turn on anymore 'cause I can't stay up even til halftime. (extra inning post-season baseball even worse:mad:). Maybe I can get a nap in before this game.

Paul Ryan
10-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Rick,

I have always respected those of you on the east coast for having to watch the games till the wee hours of the morning if you will.

I really hope "the grey beard" is the answer we have been looking for. We will not win as many regular season games as the 98 team. But that doesnt matter hopefully we can win the 2 more important games that the 98 team missed out on. And the waffling, what does it really matter. We knew this was only a 1 or maybe 2 year thing. Next off season if he retires and then unretires we will decide who give us a better chance to win at that time. This should be one heck of a fun game to watch. Not because of the importance of the game. It really isn't a pivitol game at this time. Even though any loss to the stinkin Packers is unacceptable. But the story lines. Brett Favre is playing for my beloved Purple, and now playing against the stinkin Packers. This is just priceless.

Greg Peterson
10-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Rick - Yes, we realize how late the games are played in EST. There is a east coast bias when it comes to sports simply because of the three hour difference. by the time our games are starting you guys are going to bed.

Favre is an ill gotten gain.

Go Pack Go.

Mark Patoka
10-02-2009, 8:17 AM
I hope it's shown on ABC nationwide, not just in the WI/MN areas as I don't get ESPN and don't feel like spending all night at the sports bar. It doesn't matter who's throwing the ball for the Vikes, the Pack just needs to crush 'em and take over control of the NFC Norris. Hopefully the game lives up to the hype and drama, without any F4vre last-second heroics.

Jeff Bower
10-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I hope it's shown on ABC nationwide, not just in the WI/MN areas as I don't get ESPN and don't feel like spending all night at the sports bar. It doesn't matter who's throwing the ball for the Vikes, the Pack just needs to crush 'em and take over control of the NFC Norris. Hopefully the game lives up to the hype and drama, without any F4vre last-second heroics.

I'm in the same boat...checked online and it doesn't show ABC having the game on, but who knows...GO PACK GO!!

Steve Rozmiarek
10-02-2009, 6:30 PM
Doesn't Favre play for the Packers? :D J/K! Enjoy the game!

Personally I'll be watching the Rockies hopefully sweep the Dodgers to take the NL West.

Phyllis Meyer
10-02-2009, 8:30 PM
I think there was more to what went on about the Favre thing than anyone of us could ever try to understand! Of course I want the Packers to win, but I have also been watching the Minnesota games (he still is a fantastic player)! One of the local bars is having a bonfire before the game to burn all of Favre's stuff they have hanging...that I think is so dumb!

May the best team win!
Phyllis:D:)

Tim Morton
10-03-2009, 12:21 PM
The problem with old guys like Favre is that by the end of the season he will be toast for the post season. He could barely raise his arm over his shoulder last year. i can't image this year will be any different.

Jacob Mac
10-04-2009, 6:49 PM
I hope they light Favre up. He was an exceedingly sloppy quarterback for the last several years he played for GB. Everyone called him a gunslinger, but the truth is he was reckless and hurt the Pack on several occasions because of his poor decision making.

Back when Favre played under Holmgren, he was held accountable and he became an elite QB. After Holmgren left, he regressed as a qb.

All you Vikings fans, just wait. He will uncork a 6 int game and then you will see how frustrating it can be having him direct your team.

Paul Ryan
10-04-2009, 7:19 PM
Not gonna happen this year. Since you guys are cheese heads you probably haven't seen him play. He has been a lot more responsible and knows what his role is. It is still AP's team. Last week we needed the Favre magic. But he isn't being asked to win games this season like he had been the past few years in GB. The packers haven't ever had a running back in AP's league, that takes a huge amount of pressure off of any quarterback. I don't expect any games with more than 2 int's. The one last week wasn't his fault. Bernard Berrian tiped one off of his hand that he should of caught causing a tip ball drill. So in reality he has played 3 games with out any bad throws that have ended up as int's. Dre Bly should of had a pick 6 but he can't catch either.

Jerome Hanby
10-05-2009, 8:35 AM
Personally - I hope the Pack sets a new world record for number of times they sack Favre! Something about paybacks....

No matter who wins - should be an interesting game!
I was kind of hoping Favre would hang about 6 TDs on the Packers for the same reason :D

Quinn McCarthy
10-05-2009, 8:59 AM
I hope the Packers issue some serious spank on the Viking's.

Will be a good game.

Go Pack!!

QUinn

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2009, 9:35 AM
I personally think the press and fans are making more of this game than really exists.

It's just another football game to the pros.....

In any profession, if you get tied up into the "petty" emotional details, you will often over look the important ones. I'll bet if you could get into the locker room during practice this past week you'd find the press and the fans are making a whole lot more of this than the players and coaches.

It's just a game.....entertainment by a bunch of overpaid athletes....just entertainment.

Greg Peterson
10-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I personally think the press and fans are making more of this game than really exists.

It's just another football game to the pros.....

It's just a game.....entertainment by a bunch of overpaid athletes....just entertainment.

I don't think it is just another game for Favre. And it isn't another game for the Packer defense. And it isn't another game for either team. At the very least, any game against a division rival is a big deal.

I agree that sports, college and professional, is fundamentally an entertainment product. And while I agree the salaries are exorbitant, perhaps obscene, they are only the tip of the iceberg. Most pro sports franchises are publicly subsidized. Very, very few franchises carry their own weight. Were it not for sweetheart deals with the local or regional community most pro sports franchises would simply implode.

So while the players have huge salaries, they are ultimately being paid what the market will bare. It isn't the players fault that the millionaire club throws millions of dollars at them to secure their unique talents.

Go PACK Go!

Rick Moyer
10-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I find it interesting that we feel athletes are overpaid in the "entertainment industry" but we don't hear the same thing about actors in the "entertainment industry". I wonder why that is? Maybe it's because we all think we would do what they do for so much less, but in reality we can't do what they do, and no one wants to watch us do what they do.
Seems to me that someone's "worth" in terms of how much they make should be proportionate to how replaceable they are. Many jobs almost anyone can do, certain occupations very few can do, and therefore should be compensated accordingly.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Frankly,

I find a lot of the salaries paid in the entertainment industry obscene.

and

Greg,

While the salaries may be "what the market will bear' they are still unjustifiably obscene. To me it's the distortion of the free market place that causes the lack of confidence people have in the economy today. It is just entertainment.

And my opinion....it's just another game.

Paul Ryan
10-05-2009, 1:23 PM
I agree that sports, college and professional, is fundamentally an entertainment product. And while I agree the salaries are exorbitant, perhaps obscene, they are only the tip of the iceberg. Most pro sports franchises are publicly subsidized. Very, very few franchises carry their own weight. Were it not for sweetheart deals with the local or regional community most pro sports franchises would simply implode.

Greg,

This information you have. How did you come about that? I wasn't aware the most sports teams operate in the Red. The Timberwolfs are one right now that is definatly in the red. The vikings maybe also since they generate the 2nd lowest amount of revenue of the 32 NFL teams. That is because of the stadium they operate in. However I don't know how the teams are being subsidized. I guess if you count jersey sales and other things like that it could be subsidizing, but those are only purchased by fans. The general public doesn't have to put any $$ toward the team unless they purchase tickets, paraphernalia, or other NFL sponsered merchandise. The teams do not receive any unusual tax brakes that normal businesses cannot qualify for. Actually a sports team supply a conserderable amount of income to the state and cities they operated in due to the amount of taxes they pay. What hurts communities is when a new stadium is needed. A 1 billion dollar stadium is a large chuck of money to come up with. But if a lease is require long enough the stadium should be paid back many times over from tax revenues. In the case of the metrodome it was paid for about 15 years ago but it's price tag was much less than what a new one will cost. I just dont know where the subsidies come from. Could you please explain. Go Vikes

It is hard to come across sincere on a forum. I do not mean to be argumentative just cuirous.

Bob Lloyd
10-05-2009, 1:46 PM
It may be a big deal for the Packers and Vikings and their fans but I do not think that applies to the rest of the country. It is a local/divisional rivalry; I agree with Ken, some people are making too much of a fuss. As far as pre-empting other programs, that usually is a local not a national thing; I do not think we will get it on ABC in New England.

Mark Patoka
10-05-2009, 3:12 PM
It may be a big deal for the Packers and Vikings and their fans but I do not think that applies to the rest of the country. It is a local/divisional rivalry; I agree with Ken, some people are making too much of a fuss. As far as pre-empting other programs, that usually is a local not a national thing; I do not think we will get it on ABC in New England.

I think when ESPN got the MNF games, there was a provision that the local team markets would able to air the game on free ABC network stations to get around the "have to pay to watch" cable networks. Just about every MNF game is important to their respective fans, the media is definitely hyping this game, just like anything Favre has been hyped. If every game was that important, ABC would be preempting DWTS every week

What makes this game important to the fans is: 1) if GB wins, then there is a 3-way tie for 1st in the NFC North with GB holding the tie-breaker. 2) if MN wins, Favre sets the record for facing and defeating every single team in the NFL, something no one else has done (not counting the times he "beat" GB by throwing a game-ending INT to the other team).

Greg Peterson
10-05-2009, 3:54 PM
Cities have to provide world class sports venues. The franchise owners typically get concessions, parking and gate revenue. For a football franchise, we're talking about a huge stadium that sits vacant 95% of the time. When it is in operation, all revenue generated by the event goes to the franchise owner.

Sure taxes are collected. But how many small, or large business operations could be running in the same location? And what would be the tax benefit of those businesses?

Owners know that communities get attached to the team and are able to negotiate sweetheart deals as such.

How many large corporations do you know of that get their building built for them by the city? Or in partnership with the city?

Much as I enjoy pro sports, I say if you're rich enough to own a pro sports franchise, you're rich enough to build a place for them to play.

Scott Mark
10-05-2009, 4:33 PM
As long as Heroes is on! j/k I live in Viking country so everyone is talking about it and even dressing up their poor dogs!
As for finances the real $$$ comes from the broadcast rights followed by the clothing royalties. That's my guess anyway. According to what I've found online almost all teams are profitable. Interestingly enough the Packers are the only "non-profit" as the team is actually owned by its fans. They also made 22 million profit last year. Of all the professional sports out there the NFL is by far the most profitable. They're not throwing open their books so we don't have hard numbers.
Here's a good article on the revenue sources and valuation of the teams. I'm not sure what year it is from though so take it with a grain of salt. http://www.profootball-fans.com/football-articles/nfl-money-machine_091708.html

Enjoy the game or your time in the shop, (or both) which ever you choose.

Jerry Bruette
10-05-2009, 5:38 PM
Paul

The Packers certainly are publicly subsidized. The generous citizens of Green Bay voted for a special tax to help pay for the renovations at Lambeau. Paid for alot of sky boxes that most tax payers can't afford to sit in.

Greg

The Packers really aren't owned by the public, or their fans. The team is paid for by the public, it's fans, and so caled stockholders, but they don't have squat to say about how they're managed or run.

Personally I'll be glad when Brett Favre is truly retired and forgotten about...then I can read about something interesting in the newspaper.

Jerry

Greg Peterson
10-05-2009, 6:36 PM
The NBA and MLB combined do not have the revenue of the NFL. The NFL is an exceptionally profitable enterprise, yet owners are all to willing to play on fan loyalties to blackmail them into building new stadiums. Ask any Browns fan about that. Or how many MLB teams that threatened to move the team to Florida.

Even the mighty pockets of Paul Allen are no longer to subsidize the Blazers. They have to start generating a profit. Being the only pro franchise in the area one would think that would be easy (over 16,000 showed up for a free intra-squad scrimmage last night). The Blazers are very popular here. Yet we are seeing Allen being tight with his payroll dollars these days.

The NFL has a tremendous amount of parity. MLB has almost none. The NBA has some. The NFL as currently configured is sustainable. But for the rest of pro sports (NBA, MLB, MLS, NHL), many franchises are hemorrhaging money.

Paul Ryan
10-05-2009, 6:38 PM
Paul

The Packers certainly are publicly subsidized. The generous citizens of Green Bay voted for a special tax to help pay for the renovations at Lambeau. Paid for alot of sky boxes that most tax payers can't afford to sit in.

Jerry

Jerry,

I hear what you are saying about the stadium tax but I still don't see that as a subsidy. The money when to the staduim. I am not sure how it works in GB but the metrodome, target center, and excel center are owned by the twin cities metropolitan sports agency. If the stadium was alowed to deteriorate then what would you have? I don't know what goes on in Lambeau when the pakers aren't playing. In MN the stadiums are used on a regular basis for other events. Now in some cases some of the conssesion procedes go to the team. But not always.

I completly agree with the comments about multi billion dollar team owners not building there own stadiums. They should be able to do it. But since the early 90's there have been roughly 26 new stadiums build for NFL teams and every one had been built with tax payer money. I am not saying it is right it is just a fact of life. But I still don't see it a subsidy becuase the team doesn't own the stadium. It is a grey area, and the NFL teams are still profitable without the stadiums. The NFL is the 800lb gorilla as far as professional sports go.

An for all of you sour ex Farve fans. You would still be praising him if he was still on your team. Since he is a Viking you just hope he goes away. That is pretty sad, to disrespect a man than many of you 3 years ago thought was the best quarterback to play the game. And now since he is a Viking, you could care less. It is just jealousy if you ask me. And don't give me the garbage about he retires and then unretires. He was basically forced to by Ted Thompson, and then mis used in NY. Let him waffle he has earned the right. I hope the packer are celler dewellers for the next 20 years.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-05-2009, 6:55 PM
I would argue that most businesses would be profitable if you could get someone else to foot the bill for the biggest upfront expense you have.

I like football. I really like college football.

I have a problem, however, when folks whine about the money professionals in other businesse are paid but think it's okay for entertainers to make millions. It's only entertainment. Nobody is saving lives on the football field, the stage, in concert hall or on the big screen. It's just entertainment...not neurosurgery.....

Paul Ryan
10-05-2009, 7:02 PM
I would argue that most businesses would be profitable if you could get someone else to foot the bill for the biggest upfront expense you have.

I like football. I really like college football.

I have a problem, however, when folks whine about the money professionals in other businesse are paid but think it's okay for entertainers to make millions. It's only entertainment. Nobody is saving lives on the football field, the stage, in concert hall or on the big screen. It's just entertainment...not neurosurgery.....

I agree with everything you wrote Ken. Personally I enjoy the NFL more because the athletes are better and the competition is more balanced. But it is entertainment and entertainment is big, big, big business because of our favorite electronic device the, boob tube.

Greg Peterson
10-05-2009, 8:42 PM
An for all of you sour ex Farve fans. You would still be praising him if he was still on your team. Since he is a Viking you just hope he goes away. That is pretty sad, to disrespect a man than many of you 3 years ago thought was the best quarterback to play the game. And now since he is a Viking, you could care less. It is just jealousy if you ask me. And don't give me the garbage about he retires and then unretires. He was basically forced to by Ted Thompson, and then mis used in NY. Let him waffle he has earned the right. I hope the packer are celler dewellers for the next 20 years.

Well, lets see. Last season he waited until the last minute to unretire. This season he waited even longer. What will he do next season? How does a team draft and sign free agents if they don't know who their QB is going to be?

No player earns the right to pick and choose when they will commit to another season. The league is bigger than the player.

Favre WAS a great QB. But his play in his final years at Green Bay were very inconsistent. He won a SB. He is also the only QB to loose any playoff games at Green Bay.

You've only seen the good side of Favre thus far. Wait till you've lived with a few of his questionable decisions.

Favre is ill gotten goods. He wants two chances to stomp on the team that gave him everything they could and then some, only to have it thrown back in their face when they wouldn't bench the QB they had groomed for three seasons under Favre.

Enjoy Favre. He can be maddening. It has been many years since he won a SB.

Jerry Bruette
10-05-2009, 8:44 PM
Jerry,

I hear what you are saying about the stadium tax but I still don't see that as a subsidy. The money when to the staduim. I am not sure how it works in GB but the metrodome, target center, and excel center are owned by the twin cities metropolitan sports agency. If the stadium was alowed to deteriorate then what would you have? I don't know what goes on in Lambeau when the pakers aren't playing. In MN the stadiums are used on a regular basis for other events. Now in some cases some of the conssesion procedes go to the team. But not always.

I completly agree with the comments about multi billion dollar team owners not building there own stadiums. They should be able to do it. But since the early 90's there have been roughly 26 new stadiums build for NFL teams and every one had been built with tax payer money. I am not saying it is right it is just a fact of life. But I still don't see it a subsidy becuase the team doesn't own the stadium. It is a grey area, and the NFL teams are still profitable without the stadiums. The NFL is the 800lb gorilla as far as professional sports go.

Paul

Lambeau sits empty for 8 months a year, exccept for tours. The reciprocal of "build it and they will come" is don't build it and they'll find another city that will. So let's hold the city and fans hostage until we get what we want with their money.

Trust me I'm not a sour Favre fan, I just can't stomach professional sports of any kind. Over paid whiney prima donnas that've been pampered and catered to their whole lives.

Like Ken said they're not finding cures for anything, so they aren't worth what they're paid.

Jerry

Paul Ryan
10-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Paul

Lambeau sits empty for 8 months a year, exccept for tours. The reciprocal of "build it and they will come" is don't build it and they'll find another city that will. So let's hold the city and fans hostage until we get what we want with their money.

Jerry

That would bug me too. All that money to redo a stadium and it get used only for football. That is a waste of tax dollars. A building that expensive should get used.

As favre as #4's waffling what is the difference. You can still draft you know that guy is 40 or in GB's case in his late 30's he will be done soon. But you go one with or with out him. Planning doesn't really need to be if he show's up you go with him. If he doesn't you go with out him. GB wasn't going to trade for another quarterback since you had one, I don't see what the problem was.

By the way this is a Peach of a game going on right now.

Rick Moyer
10-05-2009, 11:37 PM
By the way this is a Peach of a game going on right now.

Sure is. Nice to see something live up to the hype for once. (30-20 right now).
Ken, I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about entertainment and "nobody is saving lives...".

Greg Peterson
10-05-2009, 11:45 PM

I think the CEO of a health insurance company making $753 million dollars in five years is obscene, and he's making decisions that shorten or end lives. I don't recall the last time an insurance executive saved a life.

As for overpaid athletes, they are a product of the free market.

I have a problem with people that claim the free market is the answer to everything then complain about overpaid entertainers.

Paul Ryan
10-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Down with the hated Green and Gold!!!!:p:p:p

The grey beard still has it.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Greg,

1st ....I said it is the distortion of the free market that has helped create the lack of confidence in the free market. I agree CEOs of health insurance companies aren't worth that kind of distorted salaries!

2nd....It is just entertainment. To my way of thinking, an electrician...a carpenter, a locksmith...a mechanic/automotive mechanic etc. contribute more to our society than the "entertainers" do. But that's just my opinion.

I just believe our society places too much importance on entertainment. That's just a personal opinion. I just fail to see that artists and athletes are worth these huge salaries.

Neal Clayton
10-06-2009, 12:24 AM
I think the CEO of a health insurance company making $753 million dollars in five years is obscene, and he's making decisions that shorten or end lives. I don't recall the last time an insurance executive saved a life.

As for overpaid athletes, they are a product of the free market.

I have a problem with people that claim the free market is the answer to everything then complain about overpaid entertainers.

pretty much, yep.

ken, i disagree on the second point. again, being a new orleans kid i'll point to that city. it still has alot of very serious underlying economic and social problems, not to mention still being in harm's way by definition. none of these things will go away any time soon.

but in the fall, black white brown rich or poor the words "drew brees" or "reggie bush" or "chris paul" give everyone in that city something in common, and make everyone friends for at least that one day every week. not only that, but economically, the people around the country seeing a packed superdome for those monday night games, or a packed arena/convention center for the NBA all star game in the years after the storm let alot of those out of town convention and tourism customers that the city relies on see that the city is still there, and despite catastrophe, is doing ok. you can't really put a pricetag on all of that, but if you had to, for new orleans at least, the pricetag would be pretty high.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2009, 12:46 AM
Neal,

You certainly have a right to your opinion. And I claim the same right.

I don't agree.

Al Willits
10-06-2009, 8:54 AM
I could care less how much money they make, as long as it's not coming out of the tax payers pockets like new stadiums, fact of life or not, it ain't right.

Ya, farve played a great game, partly due to the fact he had so much time to find a receiver, offensive line stopped the Packers dead.

Good game until the Packer receiver dropped the ball in the end zone, kinda went down hill from there.

Queens played a pretty decent game, Packers offense was pretty good.

But if ya can't get to the QB, especially one like farve, he'll have a field day, and he sure did.

Now we'll all get to hear about the Queens and the Superbowl, been there 4 times before with a better team than we have now and couldn't do it.

Ought to be interesting if nothing else.

al

Paul Ryan
10-06-2009, 10:50 AM
As a very avid football fan I really don't mind giving some money toward a stadium. And I think many will feel the same if it is done in a way that isn't seen or felt. If the 2.5 million minnesotians that earn an income and pay state taxes (those that receive a full refund don't qualify) paid a $36 tax peryear, that amounts to be $3 per month, we would generate 90 million per year and 2.7 billion over the course of a 30 year lease. Add in the other income generating ideas, 1% tax on ticket sales for the stadium, slot machines at Canterbury, it isn't hard to pay for a stadium, that everyone will enjoy. Add in you keep a sports team that is far and away the most popular in MN, I think a few tax dollars for a stadium isn't unreasonable. As long as the stadium stays a metropolitan sports commison stadium, not owend by the team, and partial consession procedes for none NFL football events are used to pay for the stadium.

And against other views on this forum I believe that sports teams weather they are football, baseball, basketball, or hockey are a very important piece of entertainment for every city that has one. It makes people feel better and have passion for something. Look at Detroit the Lions hadn't won a meaningful game for 19 straight. The win 2 weeks ago weather it was for a few hours or 6 days made a difference to a city that is in total disaster mode due to the failed auto industry.

The vikings are undefeated, undefeated!!!!

Neal Clayton
10-06-2009, 1:40 PM
you also have to remember that these teams pay rent for stadium use. so the tax dollars spent aren't an entire loss. when you figure in sales taxes and everything on top of that it's really not a question of whether or not the state makes its money back.

Greg Peterson
10-06-2009, 3:47 PM
Greg,

1st ....I said it is the distortion of the free market that has helped create the lack of confidence in the free market. I agree CEOs of health insurance companies aren't worth that kind of distorted salaries!

I don't understand how one distorts the free market in this instance. If there wasn't the money to pay the athletes they simply would not be receiving these amounts.

Until the fans stop feeding the beast, players and owners will be reaping windfall after windfall.

Paul Ryan
10-07-2009, 7:48 PM
The Vikings vs Packers blow out scored a 14.2 rating that made it the most watched program in cable ratings history. It rated 58.3 in minneapolis and 49.7 in Green Bay. Which means it was watch in almost half of all house holds in those cities.

This proves the power of the NFL and one of the reasons those athletes are paid so much money. And how important professional sports are in America.

I still see the salaries as extremely high, but compared to what CEO's and other business', these athletes are not over paid. They risk their bodies and futures for our entertainment. But they love playing the game as well.

Paul Ryan
11-01-2009, 7:47 PM
Down with the Hated Green and Gold again you gotta love it. Stick a fork in the packers, there done.:p

Dan Mages
11-02-2009, 9:36 AM
It looks like the fine people of Green Bay are turning their back to their old friend Brett Favre. :p

Green Bay (WFRV) – Wednesday afternoon Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt announced the top 4 suggestions fans have given to welcome Brett Favre back to Title Town. The ideas will be played out every day until game day.

Thursday, the Mayor will rename Minnesota Avenue, Aaron Rodgers Drive. Schmitt has declared Friday “Flip Flop Friday.” He’s encouraging the community to wear flip flops on their feet. Saturday the Mayor will name a beer and a root beer for the border battle, while enjoying waffle fries.

The Mayor’s office says he got over 1,700 suggestions about greeting Favre.

Schmitt was joined by Green Bay Superintendent Greg Maass to talk about a first time competition between area 8th graders. The students are asked to come up with “The top 12 Reasons 4 Staying in Green Bay.
http://www.wfrv.com/news/local/story/GB-Mayor-announces-Top-4-Packers-Vikings-game/JrHPdeVws06bU7QPrp14Bw.cspx

Eric Larsen
11-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Much as I enjoy pro sports, I say if you're rich enough to own a pro sports franchise, you're rich enough to build a place for them to play.

Agreed.

But as someone who lives in a city with only one minor-league team (The Las Vegas 51s), I would personally pony up additional property tax to build a stadium for an NFL or MLB team. (NBA/Soccer/Hockey, not so much). I can't imagine how important the Saints are to the people of New Orleans. Las Vegas is such a transient city, and there's so little chance for any kind of camaraderie. If Las Vegas* had a baseball or football team, I would probably like this place more. (As it stands, I can't wait to leave.)

But I can certainly see the point of view of people who don't like sports -- Why are we as taxpayers paying all this money for something we don't like and only benefits a few? But I'm also in favor of public support for symphony orchestras, theater and ballet. So at least I'm consistent in my views.

(The NFL fascinates me 21 weeks a year. (I never watch the pro bowl.) As much as I like watching a good baseball game, the baseball season doesn't fascinate me like the NFL season does. The "every game counts" aspect really holds my attention.)

* These "London, England" games chap my [censored]. England has legal sports betting and always has. So don't give me that "betting could contaminate the game" malarky, Roger Goodall. This is a city of almost 2 million people. I would be happy to have a team of even the Detroit Lions caliber. (And put them in the AFC so I could at least watch a Patriots game live every year. Thanks so much.)

EDIT -- Today's Saints v Falcons game is EXACTLY the reason I love football. The last few minutes were a thing of absolute beauty. What a game.