PDA

View Full Version : First Low Angle Block Plane!

Dan Andrews
10-01-2009, 7:04 PM
I got a new-old plane on ebay for $13.40 counting shipping. It is a Millers Falls 6 inch low angle block plane with a 1 3/8 inch iron. The sole has a few scratches and the depth adjustment screw was bent. The Iron is in good shape, though it was in need of sharpening.

I lapped the sole, straightened the adjustment screw and sharpened the iron. I have been using it 20 times a day while building a cabinet for my growing flock of planes. Now I just wonder how I got along without it. Probably because I was using power tools most of the time and sanding rough end grain when is showed.

This little Millers Falls plane will shave tissue thin on end grain and leave it as smooth as a baby's bottom. It does not have an adjustable mouth opening, but I haven't used it going with the grain except on a piece of pine just to try it out. It did just fine there. :D

Harlan Barnhart
10-01-2009, 9:55 PM
I noticed you said "first" low angle block plane. Sounds like you are already thinking of the next one....:o

Dan Andrews
10-03-2009, 3:42 PM
Yea, you are right Harlan, I hadn't thought too much about it but if I find a stanley 60 1/2 for the right price I would go for it. I can play with the mouth adj., and learn more about its effect for various applications.

Jim Koepke
10-03-2009, 4:47 PM
Yea, you are right Harlan, I hadn't thought too much about it but if I find a stanley 60 1/2 for the right price I would go for it. I can play with the mouth adj., and learn more about its effect for various applications.

Be careful of the 60-1/2 at the right price. I have one from a yard sale that cost $1 along with a few other items. It is from the ugly days of Stanley. The casting being a little rough is not the bad part. The edge of the mouth has no lip. This causes the blade to tear into the wood without control when trying to adjust the depth of cut. I have a #060 I bought new in the late 1980s that is much better. The only difference between the #60 and the #60-1/2 is the finish. I also have one with the maroon color that is a pretty good user.

For low angle block planes, my #65-1/5 is used the most. It all depends on what plane fits in the hand the best.

jim

Sam Takeuchi
10-03-2009, 5:07 PM
I treasure my SW era #60. So much so that, my 9-1/2 has retired. I have 3 blades with different bevel angle to tackle anything with it and it's a lovely little plane.