PDA

View Full Version : Boxes w/ pin hinges, any tips?

Phil Thien
10-01-2009, 6:19 PM
I'm working on a box for the wife's sewing kit.

I'd ultimately like to use a pin hinge, as shown in the pictures I've linked.

But I'd sorta like to do this in a less permanent manner than gluing the pins in place.

Are there any ideas for a pin hinge that allow removal if necessary?

And are there any products that make a good pin? I realize I can get a bar of brass and cut it up, but if there is something I'll find in the hardware isle of my local hardware store, I'm all ears.

All suggestions welcome.

BTW, the pics are from an article at the Woodcraft site:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Articles/Articles.aspx?articleid=426

phil harold
10-01-2009, 7:07 PM
brass screws / bolts

cut the head off
slot the end
smooth the pivot area

thread box
insert threaded pin

just my 2 cents

David DeCristoforo
10-01-2009, 7:41 PM
Don't overlook the fact that you either have to round the hinge edge of the top or rout a 'relief" in the back to prevent the top from binding.

Phil Thien
10-01-2009, 7:50 PM
Don't overlook the fact that you either have to round the hinge edge of the top or rout a 'relief" in the back to prevent the top from binding.

Yep, I thought about that and in fact, that is one of the reasons I'd rather not permanently assemble the thing. I'd like to be able to make "adjustments" if necessary.

Phil Thien
10-01-2009, 7:53 PM
brass screws / bolts

cut the head off
slot the end
smooth the pivot area

thread box
insert threaded pin

just my 2 cents

Excellent input, thank you.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-01-2009, 7:55 PM
spring load one of the pins and have a small a small "safety pin" hole drilled in the end of the wood plug to allow the hinge pin to be pushed in and the lid slipped out of place.

Down side, you'll need slop in the non movable pin to tilt the lid.. Else you can cone the pin opening to allow it to shift within, but stay tight at the lid side.. /||\

2 cents.

Ted Calver
10-01-2009, 8:30 PM
+1 for what Scott said. This is my go to method...except I drill from the inside and short stop the hinge pin hole 3/16" shy of the outside surface and then continue drilling with a pin size bit. I make a spring out ball point pen springs...works well for me

Dell Littlefield
10-01-2009, 9:13 PM
How about some brass welding rod for pins? It comes in several sizes.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-01-2009, 9:16 PM
That's an idea... Drill the pin holes extra deep and cut the pins so they slip into the lid loosely. Then drill a hole and hold them in place with a small set screw under the lid for each side..

Simple as pie if you go that route.

Phil Thien
10-01-2009, 9:30 PM
+1 for what Scott said. This is my go to method...except I drill from the inside and short stop the hinge pin hole 3/16" shy of the outside surface and then continue drilling with a pin size bit. I make a spring out ball point pen springs...works well for me

That's a clever idea. I had though of using a spring to push the pin out, but then I got stuck wondering how to get the pin back into the lid so I could remove it. Your access hole/paperclip is a good idea. Thanks!

Lots of good ideas so far.

Phil Thien
10-01-2009, 9:30 PM
That's an idea... Drill the pin holes extra deep and cut the pins so they slip into the lid loosely. Then drill a hole and hold them in place with a small set screw under the lid for each side..

Simple as pie if you go that route.

Also very good.

You guys have no idea how stuck I was on this.