PDA

View Full Version : Elmer Rep says glue doesn't go bad?

Philip Florio
10-01-2009, 6:11 PM
Spoke to a Representative today from Elmer. I had to call once again because of another bad tube of wood filler.

I asked why Elmer can't put expiration dates on their products instead of production dates. He informed me that their glue doesn't have an expiration date?

Phil

Rich Engelhardt
10-01-2009, 6:28 PM
Hello,

He informed me that their glue doesn't have an expiration date?
According to the Elmer's website, their school and wood glues have a 2 year shelf life.

glenn bradley
10-01-2009, 6:53 PM
If they put them on the packages, people would know they were buying near the end of product life. I imagine only a percentage of folks who have product "go bad" call for a replacement. But then, I'm cynical sometimes.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-01-2009, 7:10 PM
Isn't it funny what reps say? Never goes bad.. Doesn't rust.. If it breaks, we'll replace it..

Yeah... Loving it.

Dave Lehnert
10-01-2009, 8:09 PM
I would like the name of the sales rep. I just tossed a bunch of Elmer's glue that went bad at work. This was in a retail environment.

Philip Florio
10-01-2009, 9:14 PM
The Reps name is Brian, that's all I got.

I was put off my his attitude and when he said glue didn't have an expiration date I then said well Professional woodworkers will disagree with that.

There cryptic coding is the same as Loctite. Last year I bought their 5 minute Epoxy only to find when I started to have a problem that I bought the epoxy when it had 2 weeks left to its expiration date which was one year from production date.

Loctite along with Elmer are two companies that I will avoid for now on. I wonder what they would say if they found their milk had cryptic numbers on the container.

Loctite was the worse, they didn't want to offer any help.

Phil

Jamie Buxton
10-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I've never had PVA go bad on me.

johnny means
10-01-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm using glue right now from a case i bought 4 years ago. Looks, smells, and works just like the first bottle I opened.

Exactly what happens when wood glue goes bad? Does it spoil like milk, ferment like juice, rot and stink like a protein shake? Or does it dry up like glue is supposed to?

Wayne Sparkman
10-02-2009, 12:33 AM
I've had glue (titebond no less) clump like spoiled milk. Not sure why. It wasn't subjected to freezing, so I'm stumped.

Norman Pyles
10-02-2009, 12:40 AM
I've had glue (titebond no less) clump like spoiled milk. Not sure why. It wasn't subjected to freezing, so I'm stumped.

I've had Elmers Probond, do the same thing.

Don Dorn
10-02-2009, 3:18 AM
Acording to Marc Adams - you have a year from the time you first open it. I now put that date on the bottle with a sharpie, but wouldn't really need to because I go through it long before a year is up.

Jerome Hanby
10-02-2009, 8:27 AM
Acording to Marc Adams - you have a year from the time you first open it. I now put that date on the bottle with a sharpie, but wouldn't really need to because I go through it long before a year is up.
That's a good idea. Thanks for the tip!

John Thompson
10-02-2009, 9:38 AM
Beware of reps that tell you glue or beer won't go bad and there is no expiration.. :)

David G Baker
10-02-2009, 9:42 AM
I have some 40 year old Elmer's wood glue that I still use on occasion and haven't found anything wrong with it.

Bob Genovesi
10-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Isn't it funny what reps say? Never goes bad.. Doesn't rust.. If it breaks, we'll replace it..

Yeah... Loving it.

They used to be called "snake-oil salesman", or car salesman...:D