PDA

View Full Version : Which Chuck

Cecil Arnold
09-19-2004, 10:55 PM
I am looking at a chuck for my lathe (PM3520a). I'm leaning toward the Vicmarc as I have heard it has as good holding capicity as any and the jumbo jaws are available to 19". I don't have a problem with Axmininster or Oneway, however the Vicmarc is a 5" and the others are both 4". Any advice is appreicated.

Dennis Peacock
09-19-2004, 11:05 PM
I have the Nova Chuck on my PM3520A and am very happy with it.

Brad Schmid
09-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Cecil,

All three you mention are good quality chucks along with the Nova mentioned by Dennis. I have and use a Oneway Stronghold, so I'm partial to that. The main reasons I like it are because:

1) It has travel limiter pins.
2) There is a wide array of jaws available
3) The design of the jaws and the holding power have a well deserved reputation of being among the best.
4) Keyed chuck (as opposed to levers) for one handed operation

BTW - The Stonghold has a 4 1/2" body.

If it were me, I wouldn't base my decision upon the size of available cole jaws. Although I own a set, they're quite limited in their function, and there are other, and sometimes better ways.

One factor you might consider is local availability. Since you're a Houstonian, I can tell you I know for sure that Axminster and Oneway chucks and accessories are readily available. I can't vouch for the Vicmarc or Nova, I really haven't looked.

Good luck in your decision,
Brad

Bill Grumbine
09-20-2004, 6:23 AM
Hi Cecil

The relative sizes of the chuck bodies are not important to function or capacity. There are several things though, that may affect your buying decision, most of them being features that accomplish the same thing a little differently. I agree with Brad that the jumbo jaws are of limited function. In fact, it has been so long that I used mine that I just sold them to someone who wanted a set.

The biggest difference functionally between the Vicmarc and the Oneway is the shape of the tenon that you use to hold the work. Vicmarc (and Nova) require a dovetailed tenon. The Oneway uses a straight tenon. In my personal opinion, I think straight tenons are easier and faster to turn accurately, as well as return when the roughed out piece is dry and ready to be turned to finish. Beyond that, any of the chucks out there will accomplish the same thing, and it boils down to features. One other thing to be aware of is that if you go for a Nova in the end instead of Vicmarc or Oneway, it turns in the opposite direction to operate it - i.e. leftie tighty, rightie loosey. That must be because it is made in the southern hemisphere. :D

Bill

Jim Becker
09-20-2004, 8:25 AM
I prefer the jaws of the OneWay for the reasons that Bill illustrated, although I like the hex key adjustment of the Vicmarc better. Since I already have a OneWay Talon with a number of jaw sets, I'll likely pick up the Stonghold just for consistancy in operation. (The two don't share jaws, however)

Cecil Arnold
09-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks all, it looks like the Oneway. I have enough mental handicaps as it is without having to remember to unscrew to tighten.

Doug Jones
09-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Since I already have a OneWay Talon with a number of jaw sets, I'll likely pick up the Stonghold just for consistancy in operation. (The two don't share jaws, however)

Jim,
If you decide to sell the Talon let me know. If you don't,,, well I had to try.
Doug

Jim Becker
09-20-2004, 12:03 PM
If you decide to sell the Talon let me know. If you don't,,, well I had to try.
Unlikely since I have multiple jaw sets for the Talon that handle most of the work I do. If I buy the Stonghold it will be purely for handling very large things that I want "big jaws". As a matter of fact, I would probably buy the "component" version with just the body plus one set of the large #3 jaws...I don't need another set in the #2 range that comes with the chuck kit, nor another wrench, etc.

But you're right...ya hadda ask!! :D

John Shuk
09-20-2004, 8:58 PM
Nova has a new chuck out there as well. If you look at KMS tools website you can read about it. They also have unreal prices and that is why I bought my SuperNova package from them. I have a Supernova and am just beginning to use it more and more. I am also starting to like it more and more. I will say that my friends Oneway has a better feel to the fit and finish. Another friend has a VicMarc and loves it to bits. This is a guy willing to get by with just about anything that resembles a tool and he thinks that is the best money he has ever spent.