PDA

View Full Version : bessey clamp noob revelation

frank shic
10-01-2009, 4:15 PM
i've been wondering why my glue-ups have always been a little curved and then i noticed that the little black plastic foot at the end of the clamp can be pushed downwards so that the entire clamp remains flat while allowing the adjustable head to move back and forth. can't believe i've had them for over four years and just finally learned how to use them correctly! :eek:

Matt Meiser
10-01-2009, 4:23 PM
If you don't have the foot, like many of mine, sticking a 1/2" or so stick under the ends helps too.

Norman Pyles
10-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Wow, I didn't know this either. Just looked at mine and none of the feets were down. Learn something new every day. Frank thanks for sharing the info.

Paul Johnstone
10-02-2009, 9:08 AM
Hey NOOB, they make something called K blocks too, which are really useful! :D

(I hope you know that I am just saying this in fun, I've missed things that were much more obvious).

frank shic
10-02-2009, 2:36 PM
lol paul, i have the blocks but they're such a pain to take out of the drawer and i can never remember where i put them anyways!

Byron Trantham
10-02-2009, 3:19 PM
I knew about the foot. I was so impressed I got enough feet to retrofit my older bessey's. I contacted Bessey and they GAVE them to me! As always, "there is no such thing as a free lunch."! I bought a bit from Mcmaster Carr (not cheap) and drilled my older ones to accept the foot. Also, the newer ones will allow you to remove the silding head and reverse it to make it a "pusher". Being able to remove the head also allows you to use their "connector" to extend the length of of the clamp. I simmply filled off the two little nubs at the end of the bar so I could remove the head. Couldn't have been simpler. BTW when I found out about their connector I couldn't find them so I contacted Bessey and guess what?; they sent a free pair!!!! Now I can clamp up to 100"!