PDA

View Full Version : Yet another gloat...more or less

Mike Cruz
10-01-2009, 4:11 PM
So, I'd been looking for one of these (12" disc/6" belt sander), and didn't want to spend the $650 (with shipping). At least that is what Grizzly charges. Found one on CL for $100. Runs great, clean, just one little tiny weeny itsy bitsy issue... I failed to pay attention that it has the 3450 rpm motor instead of the 1725 rpm motor. Not that it won't "work", I just have to really be careful not to burn the wood. End grain is almost impossible. I called Grizzly to discuss options. A new motor (1725 rpm) is $280 plus shipping. Still a decent deal if I go that route. Or maybe a "dimmer" that would slow the speed down. But my concern was the lack of torque with the motor opperating at 1/2 speed. The guy at Grizzly said it could be done, but it likely wouldn't be cheap, and he had the same concerns about how long the motor would last...leaving me then with replacing the motor...

Anyway, it runs true, and I'm happy. :D

Not to create the dust collection for it...

Mike Langford
10-01-2009, 7:14 PM
Mike, you'll probably be better off just buying the slower RPM motor.

Slowing down an induction motor was discussed in detail here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=113547
The sander/buffer Mike was wanting to slow down/make variable has the same motor layout as your sander.....

Oh Yeah.....NICE score on the sander!!! Extremely gloat worthy

Stan Mitchell
10-01-2009, 7:58 PM
I think I could put up with the higher speed for a $100.

Nice score! Enjoy.

Mike Cruz
10-01-2009, 8:45 PM
Thanks, yeah, I kinda realized that slowing it down wasn't going to work. I'll use it for a bit and see how it works. If I do need to replace the motor, I can always sell the old one. BTW, anyone need a 1 HP 3450 rpm dual shaft motor? :D

jude samson
10-03-2009, 4:47 PM
Does the motor have to be new. If you are patient a 1725 dual shaft motor will come to you in a couple of months for under 100 bucks.

IMHO
Jude

Mike Cruz
10-03-2009, 5:39 PM
Sounds like you are thinkin' of unloading my perfect motor...:rolleyes:. When will it be up for sale? :D

No, it wouldn't need to be new, but, I don't know why, I'd be a little concerned with putting a motor on that wasn't designed (by that I mean right height and proper fit, not dutywise) for it. Maybe I'm way off base and any old dual post motor will fit...I'm just skeptical. I am a wood tinkerer, not a tool tinkerer. MAKING something fit is not my forte. But not saying that I won't consider it.... thanks.

Bruce Page
10-03-2009, 6:54 PM
Nice gloat! A 3450 rpm would work great for metal working but too fast for WW, IMHO. I have a Delta with the 1725 rpm motor that works great.

With the great deal you got I think you'd be happier investing in the new motor. The old motor would make a great buffer!