PDA

View Full Version : Beal polishing question

Alan Tolchinsky
10-01-2009, 3:58 PM
Hi all, I have two platters that I finished with wipe on poly about a month ago. These were my first "victims" to try out my new polishing system and they came out pretty good except for a couple of rough areas. Should I have used 0000 steel wool first before polishing them? I used all three compounds and thought this would be enough. Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2009, 4:52 PM
Alan - was the rough spot caused by the wood, the finish or the polishing process? Different answer for each of the above problems.

Alan Tolchinsky
10-01-2009, 5:04 PM
Steve, I think the finish was a little rough in areas. That's why I was wondering if you could use some 0000 steel wool first then Beal polish? Would polishing take out the fine scratches from steel wooling?

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2009, 5:06 PM
Alan - I have used a 320 grit sanding sponge to remove slight imperfections and have had no problem buffing everything out later. Use what ever you are used to and as long as you are only causing very fine scratch patterns - buffing will still work great.

Steve Mawson
10-01-2009, 5:09 PM
Alan,
That is what I did on a cedar bowl that I finished. After I buffed it I was not satisfied so I took the steel wool to it, 400 sandpaper in a spot or two, and even refinished part of it. After it sat a week I rebuffed it and am pretty satisfied with it now. Lacquer was the finish.

Alan Tolchinsky
10-01-2009, 8:07 PM
O.K. thanks guys. I'll touch it up with steel wool and rebuff.