PDA

View Full Version : Can I still post here...

Bob Savage
10-01-2009, 2:33 PM
... if I buy a CNC router before a laser? ;)

The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning towards going the route (no pun intended) of the CNC, with the laser coming some time afterwards.

Though, an offer on an like new 75 watt 36EXT at $8k might change my mind. :eek:

Darren Null
10-01-2009, 2:38 PM
I think you have to dress in hairy breeks and post here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Nah, just kidding- we'll let you in. But you have to sweep up any sawdust you drop. :D

Bob Savage
10-01-2009, 2:39 PM
I think you have to dress in hairy breeks and post here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Nah, just kidding- we'll let you in. But you have to sweep up any sawdust you drop. :D

Sawdust? Wait, these things make sawdust??????

Are there any machines that make no dust, waste or smoke? :)

Darren Null
10-01-2009, 2:42 PM
You should be OK with this:

Scott Shepherd
10-01-2009, 2:43 PM
If you plan to use it as a job and not a hobby, you'll make enough with the router to buy the laser and pay cash for it.....

Scott Erwin
10-01-2009, 2:57 PM
Are there any machines that make no dust, waste or smoke? :)

Not too sure about that...when I use that piece of equipment, it always seems to make a lot more waist....

Darren Null
10-01-2009, 2:59 PM
*GROAN* :eek::eek::eek:

Bob Savage
10-01-2009, 2:59 PM

LOL!

If you plan to use it as a job and not a hobby, you'll make enough with the router to buy the laser and pay cash for it.....

Realistically, the hobby part will be while I learn to use the system (I'm envisioning new kitchen cabinets already), and then I'll be looking for work that I can do in the evenings and weekends. Still, I hope to find enough work to have the router pay for itself, and position me to add the laser without much pain.

Another upside to this is that my father and uncle have owned a machine shop for 35 years, and I might be able to do some work for them once I get the hang of the software. My uncle does the programming, and he still does it the hard way. If I can learn enough about CAD/CAM, I might be of use to them.

O.K., it's about time I call Shopbot...

Scott Shepherd
10-01-2009, 3:25 PM
No need for conventional CAD/CAM for a CNC these days. CNC routers are quite different than CNC milling machines. Not physically, but in the approach they take for what they want the end user to be dealing with. CNC mills tend to go CAD/CAM, where as CNC router people tend to say "Hey, just draw something in Corel or any other graphics program, bring it over and we'll take it from there".

I look at what it used to take to program a machine and what it takes now and it's the difference in night and day.

Machine shops love AutoCad files, DXF's and the likes. Mention CorelDraw to a machine shop guy and they probably don't have any idea what you're talking about. CNC router people have really plugged into their market by making it easy to learn and inexpensive as well.

Bob Savage
10-01-2009, 3:33 PM
No need for conventional CAD/CAM for a CNC these days. CNC routers are quite different than CNC milling machines. Not physically, but in the approach they take for what they want the end user to be dealing with. CNC mills tend to go CAD/CAM, where as CNC router people tend to say "Hey, just draw something in Corel or any other graphics program, bring it over and we'll take it from there".

I look at what it used to take to program a machine and what it takes now and it's the difference in night and day.

Machine shops love AutoCad files, DXF's and the likes. Mention CorelDraw to a machine shop guy and they probably don't have any idea what you're talking about. CNC router people have really plugged into their market by making it easy to learn and inexpensive as well.

I'm really liking what I'm hearing! Thanks a bunch for the input, Scott.

I just got off the phone with Diane at Shopbot. Talk about a helpful, knowledgable sales rep! I'm sold, the Shopbot is coming first, laser later.

My electrician buddy spent the last two days in my garage getting me dialed in with electrical (both 115 and 220) and lighting, so now it's just a matter of planning for noise reduction to the outside (looks like several boxes of caulk and some drywall are forthcoming), and figuring out where I'm pulling the money from.

This should be fun!

James Jaragosky
10-01-2009, 3:39 PM
I'm really liking what I'm hearing! Thanks a bunch for the input, Scott.

I just got off the phone with Diane at Shopbot. Talk about a helpful, knowledgable sales rep! I'm sold, the Shopbot is coming first, laser later.

My electrician buddy spent the last two days in my garage getting me dialed in with electrical (both 115 and 220) and lighting, so now it's just a matter of planning for noise reduction to the outside (looks like several boxes of caulk and some drywall are forthcoming), and figuring out where I'm pulling the money from.

This should be fun!
If you can afford a spindle over a router, you will cut the noise level in half.

Martin Boekers
10-01-2009, 3:39 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Erwin;1225959]Are there any machines that make no dust, waste or smoke? :)

Scott, just the ones that don't work!:p

Although I here there are some flame polishers out there that don't either!:)

Marty

Bob Savage
10-01-2009, 8:50 PM
Have I mentioned how much I love SMC? Keith took the time to speak with me about the CNC router earlier today. Very, very helpful!

Dan Hintz
10-01-2009, 9:11 PM
Although I here there are some flame polishers out there that don't either!:)
Was that a dig at me? :p

At least I started lasering again... repeat customers rock!

Bob Savage
10-01-2009, 9:11 PM
Was that a dig at me? :p

At least I started lasering again... repeat customers rock!

No digs allowed in this thread! It's all about group hugs and good happiness stuff.

Doug Griffith
10-01-2009, 9:19 PM
I've tried MANY CAD/CAM solutions out there and I'd say the most intuitive and powerful "just above entry level" system is SharkFX by Punch for CAD and MecSoft VisualMill 6 for CAM. You will be able to do more than your typical CAD/CAM engraving solutions. For your average day-to-day 3-axis machining of MDF, that combo will do what software that costs 10 times that will do. The toolpathing of VisualMill is far beyond your typical 3D toolpaths.

Tom Buzz Bernard
10-02-2009, 7:01 AM
I even made this Mercedes convertible for the wife on a shopbot, I told her I would get her a Mercedes:D

Brian Robison
10-02-2009, 8:15 AM
By all means post here, and feel free to change that avitar from Ace Ventura to Ace Frehley.

Tim Bateson
10-02-2009, 8:31 AM
..so now it's just a matter of planning for noise reduction to the outside (looks like several boxes of caulk and some drywall are forthcoming)...

For sound proofing, I've learned using thicker drywall or doubling it up works far better then wasting money on sound proof insulation.

Martin Boekers
10-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Dan,

No digs intended, I couldn't resist after reading how many haven't used their polishers yet.

It's usually not a machine that I put off and put off..... But a new metal or product to engrave. I probally have 10 different types of coated metals that all engrave differently. It just doesn't seem like there is enough time to play, and when there is time, I really do need to get out of the shop for awhile!;)

Marty

Darren Null
10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
We've just done a recording studio from those rubbery interlocking floor tiles. Total cost was about €2000 (5 rooms, wall floor & ceiling!). The professional soundproofing companies were quoting something like €7000 A WALL!
Works excellently- the only sound that leaves is bass the gets transmitted through the building structure; and there isn't much of that that gets through.

The chap with the decibel meter thought his machine was broken, it worked so well.

You'll probably need AC with any soundproofing though.

Bob Savage
10-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I even made this Mercedes convertible for the wife on a shopbot, I told her I would get her a Mercedes:D

That's nice! Hmmm, my wife has been wanting a new Vette...

By all means post here, and feel free to change that avitar from Ace Ventura to Ace Frehley.

Aaaalrightee then!

Thanks for the sound proofing info guys. I've actually done a LOT of research on this, because prior to deciding I'm building a shop in the garage, it was going to be a small recording studio (writing, playing and engineering have been hobbies of mine for many years).

I'm not worried about complete sound proofing, I just need to dampen it down to where it's not going to annoy the neighbors. Fortunately, I'm in an older home (late 60's), so we're spaced fairly well between each other.

My plan is caulking all of the holes, putting something in the cute little windows in the garage door that my wife just had to have (they're thin plastic windows), insullating and drywalling the arched ceiling, and buying a good side door.

I'm fairly certain that should do it.

John Schulz
10-03-2009, 2:29 PM
putting something in the cute little windows in the garage door that my wife just had to have

Sounds like a project for the shopbot. You're on your own with the wife though, after those windows "disappear"!

Bob Savage
10-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Sounds like a project for the shopbot. You're on your own with the wife though, after those windows "disappear"!

I've got her convinced that some type of black insert directly against the cheapo plastic windows will look like a dark garage from the street. I'm thinking very dark plastic/plexi of some sort, an air gap, and a solid insert of some kind on the inside will solve the problem.

Bring on the shopbot!